logo
Old 10-30-2011, 04:53 PM
Find More Posts by SunDevilPilot
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
321 Posts
I can believe how fast you progressed.... I just finished the struts on mine and your entire plane is complete!

Good Work!

SunDevilPilot
SunDevilPilot is offline Find More Posts by SunDevilPilot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-30-2011, 06:36 PM
Find More Posts by ericb
Team WTFO
USA, SD, Worthing
Joined Mar 2006
9,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevilPilot View Post
I can believe how fast you progressed.... I just finished the struts on mine and your entire plane is complete!

Good Work!

SunDevilPilot
I saw your pics on RCU, and your struts look great.
ericb is offline Find More Posts by ericb
Old 10-30-2011, 06:39 PM
Find More Posts by ericb
Team WTFO
USA, SD, Worthing
Joined Mar 2006
9,612 Posts
Well tonight I am happy in one way, and angry in another. I took the Cub outside to run the engine, and it runs great. However, once I got it outside the cowl looks way to light. Inside it matched great. Uggghhh!! Now I will have to tape off the engines and spray some more yellow on it. I think it angers me the most because the first time I painted it, it looked too dark so I repained it to make it lighter. Oh well, gives me something to do.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:46 PM
Find More Posts by TomCrump
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Jan 2011
344 Posts
More paint will not necessarily make your cowl match the covering. You may need a darker primer under the yellow.

I know that you probably don't want to here, that, but I've had it happen to me.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old 10-30-2011, 07:41 PM
Find More Posts by ericb
Team WTFO
USA, SD, Worthing
Joined Mar 2006
9,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
More paint will not necessarily make your cowl match the covering. You may need a darker primer under the yellow.

I know that you probably don't want to here, that, but I've had it happen to me.
I will try a couple more coats and see. When I did it the first time it was darker, just didn't match inside the house. I will check in the sun tomorrow and see.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:27 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
Nice CUB! I've flown the BUSA CUB quite a bit and you will enjoy it. I'm a bit concerned about your cooling openings in the cowl though. That DLE will need lots of cooling airflow and I question whether your openings and exits are large enough to do the job. I'd watch it closely the first few flights to be sure but most CUB guys have to give way on the scale cowl details to allow for more airflow .... especially with gas engines. You can get away with less airflow with glow power ... especially with a 4 stoke, but not with gas. Gassers get hot ..... period and need lots of cooling. I converted my big Hanger 9 CUB to gas 2 years ago and would never ever consider going back to glow power and all the mess. My DLE30 replaced a Saito 180 and there was quite a performance inprovement.

Good luck and enjoy!
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 11-02-2011, 11:07 AM
Find More Posts by ericb
Team WTFO
USA, SD, Worthing
Joined Mar 2006
9,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckracer View Post
Nice CUB! I've flown the BUSA CUB quite a bit and you will enjoy it. I'm a bit concerned about your cooling openings in the cowl though. That DLE will need lots of cooling airflow and I question whether your openings and exits are large enough to do the job. I'd watch it closely the first few flights to be sure but most CUB guys have to give way on the scale cowl details to allow for more airflow .... especially with gas engines. You can get away with less airflow with glow power ... especially with a 4 stoke, but not with gas. Gassers get hot ..... period and need lots of cooling. I converted my big Hanger 9 CUB to gas 2 years ago and would never ever consider going back to glow power and all the mess. My DLE30 replaced a Saito 180 and there was quite a performance inprovement.

Good luck and enjoy!
Thanks for the concerns on airflow. There is a lot of area for air to escape that is not visible. The lower part of the front fuse was modified for the pitts muffler, and that opened up a lot of area for airflow. The cowl has now been finished with the lower opening being enlarged as planned and screen added for the look of a radiator. The extra yellow on the cowl makes it match now. It is crazy how it can look so different inside the house to outside the house.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
Its actually quite scale on a CUB to have the cowl color not match the airframe. The cowl is metal and most everything behind it is fabric. These days, both might be painted with a matching poly paint but back in the day, the cowl would have been painted with an enamel paint and the fabric would have been dope. It was extremely hard to get those two completely different finishes to match ... either in color or shine. Then there was the different fade rate out in the sun. Look at any old CUB ..... guaranteed no color match.

As modelers we want everything to be perfect when in the real world maybe things were not so great. The exception would be warbirds where modelers seem to go out of their way to make their subjects look even worse than real life.
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 11-02-2011, 06:32 PM
Find More Posts by ericb
Team WTFO
USA, SD, Worthing
Joined Mar 2006
9,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckracer View Post
Its actually quite scale on a CUB to have the cowl color not match the airframe. The cowl is metal and most everything behind it is fabric. These days, both might be painted with a matching poly paint but back in the day, the cowl would have been painted with an enamel paint and the fabric would have been dope. It was extremely hard to get those two completely different finishes to match ... either in color or shine. Then there was the different fade rate out in the sun. Look at any old CUB ..... guaranteed no color match.

As modelers we want everything to be perfect when in the real world maybe things were not so great. The exception would be warbirds where modelers seem to go out of their way to make their subjects look even worse than real life.
I know. I just wanted it to match a bit better. The way it was was unacceptable. It looks good now. Now it is just a bit darker and I like it.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:45 PM
Find More Posts by ericb
Team WTFO
USA, SD, Worthing
Joined Mar 2006
9,612 Posts
Somebody wanted some video, so I am working on uploading it. This is my first run, and my second run. The DLE30 runs great!
Old 11-02-2011, 06:47 PM
Find More Posts by ericb
Team WTFO
USA, SD, Worthing
Joined Mar 2006
9,612 Posts
Some pics from tonight.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:20 PM
Find More Posts by ericb
Team WTFO
USA, SD, Worthing
Joined Mar 2006
9,612 Posts
Here are the vids.

BUSA Cub 1st run.MTS (0 min 14 sec)

BUSA Cub 2nd run 11 2 2011 (0 min 39 sec)
Old 11-02-2011, 09:37 PM
Find More Posts by terryscustom
Wood Butcher
United States, SD, Harrisburg
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
Lookin good!! Now just order up some Spring weather!!!
terryscustom is offline Find More Posts by terryscustom
Old 11-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Find More Posts by cardenflyer
Council Bluffs, IA
Joined Jan 2006
1,376 Posts
Just go fly it. 50* and sunny sounds like flying weather to me.
cardenflyer is offline Find More Posts by cardenflyer
Old 11-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Find More Posts by MODE 1
Joined Jul 2008
4,715 Posts
Looks great Eric. you did an awesome job on it and fast build too. I agree with carden you have to fly it real soon.
MODE 1 is offline Find More Posts by MODE 1

Quick Reply