logo
Old 07-26-2010, 08:55 AM
Find More Posts by Super08
Who put that tree there?
Fort McMurray AB
Joined Mar 2008
7,126 Posts
Re: DL-30 / DLE-30

If you buy a engine from China and run into problems with it it would be cheaper to get a new one than try and pay for all of the shipping and headache you will encounter. Better off buying from a well known and reputable dealer here. Jody or Jedi Jody as he is know on the forums gives great after sale support both on and off the forums and is highly recommended by people here. He does all of the warranty work for Valleyview RC whom I would guess is the largest DLE dealer in North America.
Super08 is offline Find More Posts by Super08
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-26-2010, 10:21 AM
Find More Posts by rmathews
Joined Mar 2009
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Gayhart View Post
Anyone bought these engines from Hobby King? Are they the same as the US sellers? How about warranty claims?
One of your club members bought a ? 26cc from Hobby King,engine no good,sent back 3 months ago and still waiting.Rich
rmathews is offline Find More Posts by rmathews
Old 07-26-2010, 10:56 AM
Find More Posts by f5air
Fly it....fly it.
Joined Jun 2009
2,546 Posts

well for DLE owners...that has already the engine...and dont want to wait too much time, just send it to Jody, believe me in the shipping fee that you have to pay for a engine shipped to China and then wait, it will be less to pay that for a engine shipped to jody and repaired from him. In this hobby time is not good.
f5air is offline Find More Posts by f5air
Old 07-27-2010, 12:03 AM
Find More Posts by 3Dguy
Lurker
Antioch, Tennessee, USA
Joined Jan 2008
14,179 Posts

Are the engines from HobbyKing of a lower quality?
3Dguy is offline Find More Posts by 3Dguy
Old 07-27-2010, 05:09 AM
Find More Posts by sgoen
Fly hard, turn left!
Northern, IN
Joined Mar 2006
239 Posts

I have the side carb dle 30 with a Bambula 19x8 prop, about 3 hours run time. Within the last several flights the engine has developed a sound that sound like it is underwater at times. At first I thought it was flutters, but everything was tight. Check the engine, it is also tight including the prop and spinner. I was told by a club member this is a harmonic prop sound. Any idea what I can do to get rit of the sound?
sgoen is offline Find More Posts by sgoen
Old 07-28-2010, 06:58 AM
Find More Posts by aussiesteve
Clothed Account
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined May 2008
2,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dguy View Post
Are the engines from HobbyKing of a lower quality?
Despite the suggestions to the contrary. (and I am sure this will be controversial but it is a fact) and I am not referring to any particular brand here

The real decision is not "to buy a factory second or not" - the decision is in fact "buy local and support local businesses that sell cheap overseas products of questionable factory practices OR buy overseas and support cheap overseas products of questionable factory practices. (some brands have better practices than others but it is very hard to change very old cultural thinking)

Either way, you have about the same amount of risk as to whether or not work will need to be done on the product - just don't expect the local guys to support a product they never sold - unless you let them support it profitably.

If I was living anywhere near to Tacoma, and was buying a DLE from anyone there, it would probably be from Valleyview - I have never dealt with them in a business sense but the reputation I hear supports the fact that I value my flying time too much and the small amount of extra money to buy locally would more than repay itself to me in maximising my flying time.

The engines from Hobby King are in fact the exact same engines as the manufacturers have been supplying the dealers elsewhere in the world.
Anyone who thinks a business the size of Hobby King goes to the manufacturers and asks for or accepts a lower quality product has possibly got rocks in their heads.

Yes, sometimes you see the end of the production runs in Hobby King - but not always - sometimes you also see the runs of "experimental" engines even before they are released to the general public, usually you just see the same engines that are released elsewhere in the world. Those engines have been manufactured under the same "QC" regime as the rest of the run. This is regardless of the brand involved.

As was pointed out to me some time ago

This is the real choice
  1. Spend less and buy from the likes of Hobby King (there are others with similar pricing and products) but expect to have to do some work on the product yourself if there are any issues with the product.
  2. Spend a little more, buy locally and get service from a local dealer (who most likely sponsors a lot of local events in one way or another)
aussiesteve is offline Find More Posts by aussiesteve
Last edited by aussiesteve; 07-28-2010 at 07:04 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:48 AM
Find More Posts by fonzegator
Singapore
Joined Aug 2007
544 Posts

guys which would u suggest? the side carb or the rear carb for a Sbach 300 from peak models? im still thinking btw the peak models or pilot rc.....
fonzegator is offline Find More Posts by fonzegator
Old 07-28-2010, 08:05 AM
Find More Posts by DC Gayhart
3D, it's like life support!
Joined Jan 2006
295 Posts

I just received an e-mail from Hobby King and they currently do not have the V2 DLE 30. This would support the theory they are selling new old stock first. Could be the end of the factory run.
DC Gayhart is offline Find More Posts by DC Gayhart
Old 07-28-2010, 10:52 PM
Find More Posts by Wingman26
Shawnee OK USA
Joined Dec 2008
238 Posts

Quote:
If I was living anywhere near to Tacoma, and was buying a DLE from anyone there, it would probably be from Valleyview
From personal experience I can tell anyone that Jody from Valley View goes the extra mile for their customers!
Wingman26 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman26
Old 07-28-2010, 11:41 PM
Find More Posts by 3Dguy
Lurker
Antioch, Tennessee, USA
Joined Jan 2008
14,179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiesteve View Post
Despite the suggestions to the contrary. (and I am sure this will be controversial but it is a fact) and I am not referring to any particular brand here

The real decision is not "to buy a factory second or not" - the decision is in fact "buy local and support local businesses that sell cheap overseas products of questionable factory practices OR buy overseas and support cheap overseas products of questionable factory practices. (some brands have better practices than others but it is very hard to change very old cultural thinking)

Either way, you have about the same amount of risk as to whether or not work will need to be done on the product - just don't expect the local guys to support a product they never sold - unless you let them support it profitably.

If I was living anywhere near to Tacoma, and was buying a DLE from anyone there, it would probably be from Valleyview - I have never dealt with them in a business sense but the reputation I hear supports the fact that I value my flying time too much and the small amount of extra money to buy locally would more than repay itself to me in maximising my flying time.

The engines from Hobby King are in fact the exact same engines as the manufacturers have been supplying the dealers elsewhere in the world.
Anyone who thinks a business the size of Hobby King goes to the manufacturers and asks for or accepts a lower quality product has possibly got rocks in their heads.

Yes, sometimes you see the end of the production runs in Hobby King - but not always - sometimes you also see the runs of "experimental" engines even before they are released to the general public, usually you just see the same engines that are released elsewhere in the world. Those engines have been manufactured under the same "QC" regime as the rest of the run. This is regardless of the brand involved.

As was pointed out to me some time ago

This is the real choice
  1. Spend less and buy from the likes of Hobby King (there are others with similar pricing and products) but expect to have to do some work on the product yourself if there are any issues with the product.
  2. Spend a little more, buy locally and get service from a local dealer (who most likely sponsors a lot of local events in one way or another)
Ooh, thanks!
3Dguy is offline Find More Posts by 3Dguy
Old 07-29-2010, 06:22 AM
Find More Posts by Rearls
Melbourne Florida
Joined Feb 2008
29 Posts

I suggest the side carb version. I have the SBACH 30CC version and the V2 carb sets back so far you would have to open up a lot of the firewall in order to keep the length correct for the cowl opening. One real issue with this is the carb adjusment screws then sit in the same line as the firewall making it very dificult to adjust the carb. The SBACH was big enough to set the side mount under the cowl with out opening up the side for the carb to set outside.
Just my thoughts.
Rearls is offline Find More Posts by Rearls
Old 07-29-2010, 09:20 AM
Who put that tree there?
Fort McMurray AB
Joined Mar 2008
7,126 Posts

I ran into the same thing with a Pilot Extra. No biggie, I removed the firewall and moved it back by 1/2" and then added 1/2" to the standoffs. This puts the screws just ahead of the firewall.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:59 PM
Find More Posts by MR G
San Antonio, Texas
Joined Feb 2006
181 Posts

I have a Pilot-rc yak... I opened the firewall and the needles are just behind the firewall.
Also a WildHare Baby Extra 260... no mods necessary.
MR G is offline Find More Posts by MR G
Old 07-31-2010, 02:12 PM
Find More Posts by boostoman
Muscat, Oman
Joined May 2010
162 Posts

Rearls5
can you share with me th epics of your Sbach, since i'm planning to get the Pilot RC 25% Sbach, and the shop im getting it from can offer me either the rear mounting carbb or the side mounted carb, and my mind is going crazy i can't decided i got till monday to decide.

super8,

what plane did you do the modifications onto get the rear carb to fit?
would really appreciate your help guys becuase i got till monday to place the order, (the rush is becuase i got a great deal for a new DLE30)
boostoman is offline Find More Posts by boostoman
Old 07-31-2010, 10:29 PM
Who put that tree there?
Fort McMurray AB
Joined Mar 2008
7,126 Posts

It was the 73" Extra 260.