logo
Old 10-06-2015, 04:40 PM
Find More Posts by jbuydos
United States, IL, Alton
Joined Mar 2014
42 Posts
Discussion
losing ignition

I have a DA 50 with a smart fly cutoff. While flying today I went dead stick . After landing without incident I noticed the ignition light was off. I recycled everything and and everything seemed normal so I flew again with plenty of altitude. Same thing happened again after about 8 minutes. I landed without incident but once again the ignition light was off. I don't want to push my luck again. I recycled everything again and shook all the ignition , battery and cut off connections on the ground but the light remained on. Does anyone have any ideas. Is it possible something in the ignition could be shorting out power supply? Nothing worse than intermittent electrical problems. All my connections are Deans and all connections are clean and solid. Thanks
jbuydos is offline Find More Posts by jbuydos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-06-2015, 04:53 PM
Find More Posts by castlebravo
It's the Summer Of George
United States, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Mar 2007
2,335 Posts
You need to start isolating things to determine where the issue is....start with the easy stuff....try a different battery....then a switch....or remove the smartfly and connect the battery directly to the ignition and see if you still have the issue. Is it the Smartfly with the fibre optic connection? I've seen both the receiver end and the ignition end fail but usually not both at the same time. I've also had good "name brand" batteries intermittantly fail when a balancing board solder tab came loose under vibration so dont assume that something is good under bench test conditions. The connection would only come loose when I throttled up....I never would have found it just testing with a meter. Good luck!

CB
castlebravo is offline Find More Posts by castlebravo
Old 10-06-2015, 05:25 PM
United States, IL, Alton
Joined Mar 2014
42 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have an extra battery, switch and cut off I think I'll just replace the whole system. This plane has about 250 flights on it. My wife and I were walking past the plane and I patted the cowel while walking by and she said it reminds her of the love pats I give her.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:28 AM
Find More Posts by Bill Vargas
JR DA 215 Flyer
United States, CA, Apple Valley
Joined Mar 2011
3,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuydos View Post
I have a DA 50 with a smart fly cutoff. While flying today I went dead stick . After landing without incident I noticed the ignition light was off. I recycled everything and and everything seemed normal so I flew again with plenty of altitude. Same thing happened again after about 8 minutes. I landed without incident but once again the ignition light was off. I don't want to push my luck again. I recycled everything again and shook all the ignition , battery and cut off connections on the ground but the light remained on. Does anyone have any ideas. Is it possible something in the ignition could be shorting out power supply? Nothing worse than intermittent electrical problems. All my connections are Deans and all connections are clean and solid. Thanks
Double check to ensure the that the engine cut off switch, on the TX, has 100% ATV programmed on it.
Bill Vargas is offline Find More Posts by Bill Vargas
Old 10-07-2015, 07:04 AM
Find More Posts by AHicks
Joined May 2009
1,914 Posts
The fact it took a while to quit makes me suspicious of the battery.
AHicks is offline Find More Posts by AHicks
Old 10-07-2015, 08:15 AM
Find More Posts by astrohog
movin' on
Bellingham, WA
Joined Jul 2007
2,191 Posts
Check the Anderson PowerPole connector that comes stock on the DA ignitions (the black and red plastic connector) I have seen MANY of these fail due to not having enough strain relief on the wires entering and exiting the connector. I have seen ignitions that seem to just, "die" all of a sudden, or exhibit intermittent issues like you seem to be having.

I like the PowerPole connectors, but I now fill them with some kind of silicone in order to provide some strain and vibration relief.

Regards,

Astro
astrohog is offline Find More Posts by astrohog
Old 10-07-2015, 12:03 PM
Find More Posts by Robotech
United States, AR, Pine Bluff
Joined Aug 2006
3,872 Posts
If the light was off then you can forget about the connector coming from the Smart-Fly unit to the ignition itself. It is failing somewhere before that connector.

With the ignition on wiggle the connections, including the black receptacle for the optical cable, on the ignition side of the Smart-Fly and watch the LED. I've had two of these fail.
Robotech is offline Find More Posts by Robotech
Old 10-07-2015, 12:34 PM
Find More Posts by ericb
Team WTFO
USA, SD, Worthing
Joined Mar 2006
9,612 Posts
I have seen smart fly cutoffs do that before. New one took care of it.
ericb is offline Find More Posts by ericb
Old 10-07-2015, 07:52 PM
United States, IL, Alton
Joined Mar 2014
42 Posts
I replaced the Smart Fly with an excel opti kill switch. Hopefully I will get a chance to fly tomorrow. I also checked every connection and they appeared to be OK. If I was thinking when it dead sticked a second time I would have left everything the way it was and used a test light to see if I could trace the issue. Hindsight is always 20/20. It is a great hobby. Thanks. Go. Cards and Rams

Jack
Old 10-11-2015, 05:47 PM
United States, IL, Alton
Joined Mar 2014
42 Posts
I got the chance to fly my plane today with the new kill switch and everything went well. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:01 PM
Find More Posts by billpilotca
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Aug 2006
130 Posts
I recently had an intermittent problem with a SF Optical Kill and thanks to good advice by Bob Ritchey the owner of SF I checked and double checked all of my connections and connectors. I finally isolated the problem to one of the Deans connectors while it was plugged into a battery checker / voltmeter. When I wiggled the Deans connectors the voltage would disappear then reappear.

When I carefully removed the shrink wrap from the Deans connector I found that one of the wires had broken right behind where the tinned solder reached. It was still under the shrink wrap but cutting in and out.

I also had a buddy recently have two dead sticks during an IMAC contest. A wire had broken in one of the Power Pole connectors (previously mentioned above).

What I am saying is don't assume it is the SF Optical Kill unless you have really checked all the connectors and solder joints.
billpilotca is offline Find More Posts by billpilotca
Old 10-11-2015, 09:57 PM
Find More Posts by orthobird
I used to hammer at 1500 feet
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Apr 2012
9,044 Posts
Hate to be the devil's advocate, but have you ever considered a Tech Aero IBEC?
orthobird is offline Find More Posts by orthobird
Old 10-12-2015, 07:54 AM
Find More Posts by AHicks
Joined May 2009
1,914 Posts
I think the point is that issues with any of the popular opti switches are more unusual than issues with connections/wires leading to them.
AHicks is offline Find More Posts by AHicks
Old 10-12-2015, 07:09 PM
United States, IL, Alton
Joined Mar 2014
42 Posts
I will go through all connections. I would like to get another 200 flights on it. Thanks
Old 10-13-2015, 09:27 AM
Find More Posts by les2097
United States, LA, Lafayette
Joined Jan 2006
499 Posts
I have a SF kill system where the LED is intermittent and I can't find the source of the problem... I emailed SF but never received a reply... The kill works... but the light either blinks rapidly or is out... but the engine runs fine and the kill works... Sure wish I could figure out the problem...
les2097 is offline Find More Posts by les2097

Quick Reply