logo
Old 03-12-2009, 05:08 AM
Find More Posts by twostroke
Get'r Down!
New Holland, Ohio
Joined Aug 2006
540 Posts
Re: Rolling Harrier Flat Spin.. woooow!! guide

Here's my son Seth doing it. Starts at about 1:12 in this video.

Brazil Summer Meet IMAC Freestyle - Seth Arnold (16) (4 min 15 sec)
twostroke is offline Find More Posts by twostroke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-12-2009, 06:02 AM
Find More Posts by FENWAYFLYER
Look at this stupid thing
Smyrna,De
Joined Jan 2008
1,015 Posts

Bodywerks is right it is nothing but a roller. I saw it last fall and was like what the F**K was that. I went home made a couple calls and presto. I have found just before the nose falls you want to be on the sticks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodywerks View Post
It's a high-rate rolling circle (one roll to the inside per circle), but on a downward spiral. If you did the roller to the outside, you would get what I have heard to be called "The Washer". I've done them both, but it can be hit or miss sometimes - they are all about timing and throttle management. another fun one is to do it while climbing! You need to have wicked power-to-weight, though. To give you an idea, I do it with a 26.5 pound plane that is on tuned pipes with a DA 100, and it takes all the power it can give.
FENWAYFLYER is offline Find More Posts by FENWAYFLYER
Old 03-12-2009, 09:34 AM
Find More Posts by bodywerks
Tucson
Joined Jan 2006
5,341 Posts

Just about every rolling maneuver, like this one, is nothing more than a timing thing - in a perfect world at least. Every one of them just requires proper left/up/right/down/left/up/right/down rudder and elevator inputs when rolling left and right/up/left/down/right/up/left/down inputs when rolling right. You can come up with all sorts of cool new moves just by changing up the roll rate, amount of rudder/elevator input, throttle, entry speed, entry angle, or a combination of all of them.
Of course, it's not a perfect world, so you almost always have to keep up with the maneuver to make corrections, and keeping your tail control inputs in time with the roll rate can be challenging at times.
This harrier rolling spin can be done with one roll per circle or several and look like a totally different maneuver, too.
bodywerks is offline Find More Posts by bodywerks
Old 03-12-2009, 11:06 AM
Find More Posts by ben_beyer
Notorious B.E.N.
United States, TX, Bryan
Joined Feb 2006
3,968 Posts

Sweet! I've been trying to figure out what that manuver is. What magazine was that published in?
ben_beyer is offline Find More Posts by ben_beyer
Old 03-12-2009, 03:50 PM
Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
How many points do you have ?
3 miles South of where Jamie McMurray cried like a Biotch.
Joined May 2007
9,314 Posts

I like doing them up and down,Doing them down came pretty easy,going up was a little harder to get timed,especially in high winds.I know Matt aka Wild Thang has them down good.
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old 03-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Find More Posts by Sired by Fire
edmonton,alberta,canada
Joined Nov 2006
263 Posts

my wife seen this maneuver, and asked what was that? shes hard of hearing on one side and when i replied, rolling harrier, she asked back, dead herring!?
...its been the dead herring ever since.
Sired by Fire is offline Find More Posts by Sired by Fire
Old 03-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Find More Posts by extra330ss
Bored Diesel Mechanic
north of the former nonsoviet republic of massachusetts, or just massachusetts, north america, earth
Joined Sep 2008
3,234 Posts

hahaha..... not the dead squirrel???
extra330ss is offline Find More Posts by extra330ss
Old 03-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Find More Posts by robertp17
United States, MD, Warwick
Joined Sep 2007
1,407 Posts

It is a fun maneuver to do. It is exactly as already described, strait down, start rolling, immediately start your rolling harrier inputs and the plane will come into synch with your inputs and starts tumbling down in a spiral. The longer you delay your inputs the flatter it will get and it will almost stop at four points on your way down if you do it right. Lots of fun. I just saw this thread and noticed no videos, i will do one tomorrow if I can find someone to video it, and post it here. I like to do them with my beater planes and see how low you can do it and then transform into a rolling harrier without hitting the ground. Looks cool and has quite a wow factor to it if done correctly.
robertp17 is offline Find More Posts by robertp17
Old 03-16-2009, 11:10 PM
Find More Posts by mattk0
United States, MN
Joined Apr 2007
30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertp17 View Post
It is a fun maneuver to do. It is exactly as already described, strait down, start rolling, immediately start your rolling harrier inputs and the plane will come into synch with your inputs and starts tumbling down in a spiral. The longer you delay your inputs the flatter it will get and it will almost stop at four points on your way down if you do it right. Lots of fun. I just saw this thread and noticed no videos, i will do one tomorrow if I can find someone to video it, and post it here. I like to do them with my beater planes and see how low you can do it and then transform into a rolling harrier without hitting the ground. Looks cool and has quite a wow factor to it if done correctly.
Thanks for the explanation. Can you describe what you mean by "the longer you delay your inputs". Does that mean the longer between each up/down movement or the longer delay between coordinating rudder/elevator? Or neither. Thanks,
mattk0 is offline Find More Posts by mattk0
Old 03-16-2009, 11:22 PM
Find More Posts by macanaw
SLC, UT
Joined Mar 2006
966 Posts

I'm pretty sure this maneuver originated from Leseberg and from what I remember he called it a "washing machine". Doing it on up lines looks really good to but you need plenty of power.
macanaw is offline Find More Posts by macanaw
Old 03-16-2009, 11:38 PM
Joined Sep 2007
1,407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattk0 View Post
Thanks for the explanation. Can you describe what you mean by "the longer you delay your inputs". Does that mean the longer between each up/down movement or the longer delay between coordinating rudder/elevator? Or neither. Thanks,
Just meaning your timing, from left, down, right, up. ( If you roll right ) If you hold your input longer, the plane will pause on that attitude. It also depends on the setup of your plane. Hope this helps.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:13 AM
Find More Posts by mattk0
United States, MN
Joined Apr 2007
30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertp17 View Post
Just meaning your timing, from left, down, right, up. ( If you roll right ) If you hold your input longer, the plane will pause on that attitude. It also depends on the setup of your plane. Hope this helps.
Gotcha. Thanks!

I've been working on it on my Phoenix simulator. I''ve seen hints of it show up at certain points, but it's hard to tell sometimes how accurate it is while falling (seems to be the case with most simulators when doing 'falling manuevers')
mattk0 is offline Find More Posts by mattk0
Old 03-17-2009, 12:15 AM
Find More Posts by ferocious frankie
Huck Yeah!!!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2006
1,677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuckinChikn View Post
Thats one of my favorite maneuvers to do If I knew how to post vids from G3.5 i would do it...
Anyone know how to turn G3.5 vids into something that i can view in say, windows media player??
Fraps, Gun Cam, etc...
ferocious frankie is offline Find More Posts by ferocious frankie
Old 03-17-2009, 06:18 AM
Joined Sep 2007
1,407 Posts

4,294,967,295 Posts...... WOW