logo
Old 03-16-2008, 09:29 PM
Find More Posts by Radioactive
IMAC PRESIDENT
FL
Joined Jan 2007
1,726 Posts
3DHS Killer 87" Extra SHP

Well guys it was Maiden Flight day, and boy was is SWEET~ Before we tell you about the flight, i need to regress a bit and tell you folks some of the details.This Ready to assembly beast arrived double boxed, and in pristine condition, As we opened the boxes we sat down to drool in amazement at an extremely lightweight Ariframe, and it's solid design. This Bird Exudes Electric, and begs for some Amps, and Watts, so we obliged, and ordered up some Electric Goodies!
3DHobbyShop Extra SHP 87" Ben, and Scott
Storm HFSS 6374-200 Motor Jim Slaughter
Storm 90-120Amp ESC Jim Slaughter
Vision Hobbies Poly RC Lipos..10S2P 3700 for a total of 7400MAH Rich Girado
Vision Hobbies custom Wire Harness Rich, and Todd
Vision Hobbies Xoar 22x10 Prop. (Turning 6800 RPMs ground static test)
Futaba 9156 Digital Servos
Futaba 14 Channel FASST RX
Fromeco 2600 Relion , and Fromeco Heavy Regulator Kurt, and Mike
TruTurn Annodized Spinner Bob,Rick,Stephanie
SWB Alum Red Annodized Horn 3inch offset for the pull-pull rudder, as well as the 1.5, and 1.75 inch servo arms. Scott
Please Note this bird, as all 3DHS Products come with the necessary hardware for Assembly, and flight.
High Quality hardware including, Carbon Fiber Tail wheel, and Main Gear,Carbon Wing, and Stab Tube along with a fuel tank, and the servo templates, motor mount footprint template etc(3W.DA, 50cc motors) . are included.
The assembly was very fast, and nothing less than text book perfect.
All surfaces come pre-hinged, and the factory double beveled surfaces, make 3D throws available right out of the box.( We love using the new Epoxy/Adhesive products from EPO-GRIP,Steve, and Eric...Killer stuff, no runs, no tips, or guns needed to mix it or deliver.)
Both firewall, and gear plate areas are very strong, and held together with alum. angle gussets for additional support. So this makes the Airframe a 50cc gasoline engine, or a silky smooth Electric capable, and strictly a personal choice.
Our airframe needed "Zero" like "NO" mods, extra glue, or strengthening was done, or required!
I really like the phenolic horns that are supplied,They were a pleasure to work with , and fit the pre slotted locations like a glove.
Here are some pictures of the "RTF" Beast , that truly is the fastest, and easiest build we have ever seen.
Okay enough of the discussion, The Air-boss here at home, gave us a one hour window for the Maiden as it was Palm Sunday, and we needed to be home.. So we drove off to the Field with our TME Extrema Charged 2SP3700 Poly Rc packs from Vision hobbies, ready to go.
The maiden was strictly a short flight to check the Batts MAH consumption, and to check temps on the Electric goodies. The beast departed ground at just over 1/4 throttle, and climbed effortlessly with half throttle. Man, the Storm 6374 was so smooth, and this powerhouse gave very impressive vertical. The Newly designed Storm ESC, allow for a user programable setup, and we really enjoyed the one touch programing card that comes with all Storm Products. Stephen went into some imac precision flying and it was locked on, and solid on the lines, he flipped on 3D throws, and the baby stood up on here tail, and hovered for a short burst, and then climbed out just short of full throttle. Guys this plane will fly so slow, and just hang in the air, shocking for such a big airframe, with the those big batt packs, it's Stoops designed airfoil is proven winner for sure!
Areas of special kudos, the Rudder is a Freaking monster!! It will turn on it's self in the air, and this will be the first plane we have ever had a chance to pinwheel!! It takes very little rudder as it's huge, yet very docile on low rates! Very little coupling was noticed with today's short flight!
It's high angle of attack manuevers are very stable, and just so easy to get in and out of!
We chose to only fly a 4min flight, as mom had us on the timeclock, and we wantd to check everything over! FOLKS...She's a graceful beautiful bird that is a Must for the Fleet !!! Ben, Scott, you guys have created another monster!!!! This is the Finest ARF we have ever lay'd eyes on, and She flies like it too!!! BADAzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzz is an understatement!!
We're going to move our CG back some more, and Crank out some Extreme Video's next weekend.So guys if you're looking for an Imac Bird, that can you can flip a a switch into a monster mode, this is your "Ride" for sure!!
Tim,Josh, and the 3DHS Team; now we know why you fellas are certainly loving your Badazzzzzz 3DHS Extra SHP 87"!!
Stay tuned for some more Pegged Fun Meters next weekend, Dang this Extra SHP, has me thinking about a much needed sick day, and flying a smack-down flight myself! Come-on Stephen give DAD the Sticks, pretty please,!!! Time to go put some Decals on this"Winner"

Here is the video of the plane, maiden flight so everything was high, just in case!!!
https://www.flyinggiants.com/gallery...hp?photo=40911
Radioactive is offline Find More Posts by Radioactive
Last edited by Radioactive; 03-17-2008 at 06:03 AM. Reason: video
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-16-2008, 09:43 PM
Find More Posts by 3DHobbyShop
I work for Extreme Flight RC.
TEXAS
Joined Apr 2006
1,284 Posts
Re: 3DHS Killer 87" Extra SHP

Congrats on the maiden, guys! I'm glad the Storm setup is working for you, that'll be a good alternative to the $$$ Hacker setup. Got a glamour photo for us?
3DHobbyShop is offline Find More Posts by 3DHobbyShop
Old 03-16-2008, 10:08 PM
Find More Posts by SleepyC
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts

This plane rocks.

I got to fly Bonedoc's electric 300 in AZ.
I just basically flew it around, but it felt SO solid and true.

I think this is going to be a SWEET 50cc/ big electric airframe!
SleepyC is offline Find More Posts by SleepyC
Old 03-16-2008, 11:53 PM
Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Closet Jesus Freak
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jan 2006
3,557 Posts

Congrats on the successful maiden. She truly is a beautiful (and wild) flyer. Definitely Sleepy's kind of gal .
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old 03-17-2008, 12:14 AM
Find More Posts by sun.flyer
Go Bucks!!!
Swanton, OH USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,591 Posts

Looks great Stephen!! Great to hear/see your maiden went well.

Sometimes its hard to tell from your posts Don if you really like something or not.

Sounds like he was really please with this one.

Unique rail setup for the esc, I like it. Don, did you and Stephen happen to get any amp/watt numbers on your setup? Any idea what you RTF weight is?

Thanks guys,

Tim
sun.flyer is offline Find More Posts by sun.flyer
Last edited by sun.flyer; 03-17-2008 at 12:23 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:02 AM
IMAC PRESIDENT
FL
Joined Jan 2007
1,726 Posts

Thks guys,yep some RTF shots are coming as well.. Tim this is the ultimate bad-boy on the street today... this plane just Rocks PERIOD!! Auw ready to taxi out is 17 lbs...81 to 88 AMPS static full sustained runup, 6800 RPMs, Ambient temp was 93-94 degrees, motor showed 123-132 after the flight, and the ESC showed 125-, batts temp was 110 and i'll double check the watts, best part is the 11 cell setup is freaking over the top!!!Stay tuned for the details on that as well; another really nice design feature; the CG Range is quite large and forgiving for a less experienced pilots, another 3DHS Plus. Man, i need my 3DHS fix...........can't wait to get her in the air again...
Ben, Josh,Scott, and Tim, anyone have any front end pictures; so i can copy your baffles/air inlet diverters..
Last edited by Radioactive; 03-17-2008 at 07:07 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:28 AM
Go Bucks!!!
Swanton, OH USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
Thks guys,yep some RTF shots are coming as well.. Tim this is the ultimate bad-boy on the street today... this plane just Rocks PERIOD!! Auw ready to taxi out is 17 lbs...81 to 88 AMPS static full sustained runup, 6800 RPMs, Ambient temp was 93-94 degrees, motor showed 123-132 after the flight, and the ESC showed 125-, batts temp was 110 and i'll double check the watts, best part is the 11 cell setup is freaking over the top!!!Stay tuned for the details on that as well; another really nice design feature; the CG Range is quite large and forgiving for a less experienced pilots, another 3DHS Plus. Man, i need my 3DHS fix...........can't wait to get her in the air again...
Ben, Josh,Scott, and Tim, anyone have any front end pictures; so i can copy your baffles/air inlet diverters..

Don,

Here are a couple of shots for you. The first is of edfrules's (RCG's username). He used balsa to make his diverters for his packs.

The second picture is my 85" Katana. Just simple foam contoured and glued to the motor box to keep the packs nice and cool. I will be using this same idea on my 87" SHP.

Tim
Old 03-17-2008, 08:39 AM
IMAC PRESIDENT
FL
Joined Jan 2007
1,726 Posts

Thks Tim, i understand that Ben, has some new air inlet front cowling baffles... i'd like to see them as well.. thks again.. nicely done!!
Old 03-17-2008, 09:53 AM
Find More Posts by e-can-too
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Mar 2006
52 Posts

Don and Stephen, that bad boy rocks! Good to hear the STORM products are working out for you. Can't wait to see your freestyle at the Spring Classic and your noon demos at SEFF! See you soon!
e-can-too is offline Find More Posts by e-can-too
Last edited by e-can-too; 03-17-2008 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:57 AM
Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Feb 2006
729 Posts

Don and Stephen,

Great to hear that the maiden went well! Install looks great. Glad you're happy with the airplane!

Scott
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Old 03-17-2008, 11:26 AM
Find More Posts by e-can-too
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Mar 2006
52 Posts

Good idea! You could use Depron foam and it would be strong and easy to make!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun.flyer View Post
Don,

Here are a couple of shots for you. The first is of edfrules's (RCG's username). He used balsa to make his diverters for his packs.

The second picture is my 85" Katana. Just simple foam contoured and glued to the motor box to keep the packs nice and cool. I will be using this same idea on my 87" SHP.

Tim
e-can-too is offline Find More Posts by e-can-too
Old 03-17-2008, 11:50 AM
Go Bucks!!!
Swanton, OH USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-can-too View Post
Good idea! You could use Depron foam and it would be strong and easy to make!

Yeap!!

I just happened to have this on hand. Depron would work quite well though.

Tim
Old 03-17-2008, 12:03 PM
IMAC PRESIDENT
FL
Joined Jan 2007
1,726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi26mx View Post
Don and Stephen,

Great to hear that the maiden went well! Install looks great. Glad you're happy with the airplane!

Scott
Scott, are you kidding..FREAKING STOKED BROTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SIGN US UP FOR THE NEXT bad boy 3dhS release!!!
Old 03-17-2008, 03:40 PM
Find More Posts by Cap232flyer
Joined Apr 2006
44 Posts

Nice Job Guys. Beautiful for a large aircraft. I have to admit those guys at Vision Hobbies know their stuff when it comes to designing an electric power system. They only use the best, Storm, Poly RC etc. The 3D Hobby Shop Extra aircraft is just another example of an excellent model and with the right E-power system, makes it that much better!
Here is a picture of what Vision Hobbies is E-powering-up for me; GP Kit Extra 330L with the Storm BBA Brushless Outrunner which is equal to a 150cc, Poly RC 14s and Storm 200AMP ESC for starters. Of course I still have a bit of work to do but we will dry fit before paint.
Cap232flyer is offline Find More Posts by Cap232flyer
Last edited by Cap232flyer; 03-17-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:05 PM
Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Closet Jesus Freak
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jan 2006
3,557 Posts

Here's my maiden video. Simply put, it will be the best 50cc on the market when it arrives.
[ame]http://young99.net/images/Videos/87SHP01.wmv[/ame]
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Last edited by BoneDoc; 03-17-2008 at 04:11 PM.

Quick Reply