Old 04-01-2017, 05:34 AM
Find More Posts by Luchnia
Word up!
United States, VA, Amelia Court House
Joined Oct 2010
2,356 Posts
Discussion
Kit builder question

I see guys that build the larger 50cc and up gas planes and was wondering something. I know some that some are meticulous builders and some that aren't.

How long on average does it take to build a pre-cut kit (going to use pre-cut in this example) - say an 50cc extra size airplane? I rarely know of anyone that has actually added up their time when building. I know one guy that can tell you pretty close how much time he invest in a build.

I know when I do covering jobs I am fairly quick at it, but when I look back at the clock I am amazed at how many hours I invested. What I thought would take a few hours turned into double or even triple my original time plan.

So again, realistically how long is an average to build a 50cc extra from a pre-cut kit? I bet 40-80 hours just for the build up to beginning the covering process is not unusual, but I am curious.
Luchnia is offline Find More Posts by Luchnia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-01-2017, 07:42 AM
Find More Posts by jtec/radiowave
Mooresville, North Carolina
Joined Jan 2006
2,696 Posts
That.s a tough question to answer. Are you building for pleasure or for business. Is this your first time building? That will take longer than an experienced builder. Some kits build easy where other can be very hard.

If you build because it's something you want to try and for pleasure don't put a time frame on it. Enjoy the experience and what YOU create. It's still a hobby so have fun with it.

Orthobird basically built a 2.8 meter MX2 in a month and it's his hobby. He loves to build.

I can tell you there are several build going of FG now of all different planes. And a bunch of us have been exchanging information and just having a great time sharing.

I can tell you I have had a blast.

Al
jtec/radiowave is offline Find More Posts by jtec/radiowave
Old 04-01-2017, 10:49 AM
Find More Posts by ibow24
Mohnton, Pa
Joined Oct 2006
275 Posts
on average it takes about a week to build it to the point where it's ready for sanding and finishing...then about 4 years after that point til it's done.... only kidding... sort of.
ibow24 is offline Find More Posts by ibow24
Old 04-01-2017, 01:05 PM
Find More Posts by Keith Cannon
Only Amateurs Measure First
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Apr 2016
1,389 Posts
I've got a dalton 35% 260 I am building and have about 2 months into it working only a few minutes a day on it. I am about 1/3 of the way done. This is my first build and on my next I will probably be this far in a week.
Keith Cannon is offline Find More Posts by Keith Cannon
Old 04-01-2017, 01:13 PM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
A lot depends on your building area and what tools you have. I believe that you can save a lot of time and have better finish if you invest in the right tools. Also...time is going to affected by your building style. If you edge butt glue and sand the sheeting or just lay it down...for example. Done well sheeting appears as a continuous piece with no separation lines but it takes a lot of time.
FGNewbie is online now Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 04-01-2017, 06:04 PM
Word up!
Joined Oct 2010
2,356 Posts
All good info and appreciated. I am not building a plane right now. I was just curious from reading various threads about working with kits and I know a number of builders and was wondering about it.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:45 PM
Find More Posts by orthobird
I used to hammer at 1500 feet
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Apr 2012
9,044 Posts
I built my 1st Dalton 300 ML, took about 2 years.

I then built a Dalton Yak 40%, and that one took about 8 months.

I then built another Dalton 300 ML, and it took 3 months.

I then built another Dalton 300 SP, and that one took 6 months. But it was a different design as the other Daltons, so took more thinking, and there were other issues too.

I have built two Cardens Pro, simultaneously, and those took one year.

And recently, I am building a Jtec MX2, the smaller version of the two, and in exactly 30 days, the everything was built except for the wings. The wings will get covered tomorrow, and then that will be a total of about 1 month and 2 weeks, but that is because I have been doing other things.

When I build, I spend about 1 to 2 hours everyday working on the kit.

I usually wake up at 4:30 am, and by 5 am, I will spend one hour in the shop, then by 6 am, I take a shower, and then I am at work by 7 am. I will work from 7 am til 5 or 5:30 pm.

then when I get home, I will spend time with the wife and kids, and then, by 8 or 9 pm, I will go to the shed again, and spend another 1 to 2 hours.

This is sort of routine, and I do it everyday./

Some days, I may not do anything at all, due to other things going on. And usually, in the evening, I am doing a step, and in the morning, I check to see what has happened with the glue, and do some sanding.

In all reality, the most important thing to build a kit is having room to do it in, having a very flat and straight / level work table, and having all the tools.

I hope this info helps you
orthobird is offline Find More Posts by orthobird
Old 04-02-2017, 12:08 AM
Joined Apr 2016
1,389 Posts
In my build thread I also posted a rundown of all the tools that I use.

https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...&postcount=264

In reality I spend more time trying to figure out the best way to do something and only a few minutes actually doing it. As I said before on my next build I will be much faster. I wont be as fast as Orthobird but 3-4 months is a respectable time to complete a build in I believe. This is if you are spending a lot of time with it everyday.

If you want to be more casual then spend a few hours every weekend and take a year to complete it. Any way you do it you will be satisfied with your efforts.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:21 AM
Find More Posts by fibertech
Owner Of Fibertech N More
United States, MO, Wheatland
Joined Nov 2009
451 Posts
It really depends on the builder and how much time you can spend on the build process each day. A real build should be thought of as getting enjoyment out of it and not how fast.
fibertech is offline Find More Posts by fibertech
Old 04-02-2017, 08:26 AM
Find More Posts by orthobird
I used to hammer at 1500 feet
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Apr 2012
9,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibertech View Post
It really depends on the builder and how much time you can spend on the build process each day. A real build should be thought of as getting enjoyment out of it and not how fast.
this is the truth!! take your time!
For me, the time is like therapy. It makes me and helps me relax.
orthobird is offline Find More Posts by orthobird
Old 04-02-2017, 02:12 PM
Find More Posts by lonestoner
United States, IN, Carmel
Joined Nov 2008
32 Posts
Just completed a kit built ultrasport 1000, it took forever and came out super fine . Do not hurry and enjoy the process.
I'm not the best builder but all my models fly nice and look good to.
Stoner
lonestoner is offline Find More Posts by lonestoner
Old 04-05-2017, 08:29 AM
Find More Posts by BalsaDust
Joined Aug 2011
2,421 Posts
Lots of variables. For me I built a 55cc sized profile in about three months working on it hear and here and it was built from scratch so I was figuring everything out as I went.
BalsaDust is offline Find More Posts by BalsaDust
Old 04-05-2017, 11:41 AM
Word up!
Joined Oct 2010
2,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnes0061 View Post
Lots of variables. For me I built a 55cc sized profile in about three months working on it hear and here and it was built from scratch so I was figuring everything out as I went.
That seems pretty good for scratch built as I would think there is a lot more involved than with a cut out kit.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:05 PM
Find More Posts by g257945
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Oct 2014
767 Posts
I have "Advanced Adult Attention Deficit Disorder" I can't stay on a single build from start to finish without moving off to something else for awhile and coming back to it like it was a new project.

Scott
g257945 is offline Find More Posts by g257945
Old 04-05-2017, 12:30 PM
Joined Apr 2016
1,389 Posts
Someone told me:

Do something everyday on it. Does not matter how simple. If you have no time then cut a stick and glue it on. There have maybe been 10 days since the end of January that I did not do anything on my build. Some days I will do something simple like cut out the sheeting over the anti rotation pin holes. Other days I end up doing stuff like:
1)Drill holes in firewall to pin it to fuse sides
2) Glue pins in
3) Sand fuse area that is going to be painted
4) Mask off unpainted areas
5) Paint fuse with Primer and Speckle
6) Glue on Belly Pan
7) Blend belly pan into fuse

That above was a full days work.

Quick Reply