logo
Old 04-10-2012, 09:14 PM
Find More Posts by Friedclutch
Go big
Sacramento ca
Joined Aug 2009
229 Posts
Hey parpar..

I have to say, there is a LOT of us running fromeco on our giant scale airplanes. I've been running them for years. Sorry to hear about the crash. That is extremely rare to have a load test come out good and have the volts drop to zero. Especially on an ignition. Sorry to see your damage for that reason.

BTW... Joe, You da man
Friedclutch is offline Find More Posts by Friedclutch
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-10-2012, 10:55 PM
Find More Posts by parpar1
Fast can be bad
Garden Grove, CA
Joined Nov 2009
3,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedclutch View Post
Hey parpar..

I have to say, there is a LOT of us running fromeco on our giant scale airplanes. I've been running them for years. Sorry to hear about the crash. That is extremely rare to have a load test come out good and have the volts drop to zero. Especially on an ignition. Sorry to see your damage for that reason.

BTW... Joe, You da man
I hear ya. In no way shape or form am i trying to say it being a Fromeco battery had anything to do it. Crap happens. It was its time to go. Could have been any battery.

I have been screwing with the pack and it is internal to the one cell whatever it is that let loose. Tried to bump start the cell and nothing.
parpar1 is offline Find More Posts by parpar1
Old 04-11-2012, 01:21 AM
Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Closet Jesus Freak
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jan 2006
3,557 Posts
Joe, what's the AUW w the hacker?
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old 04-11-2012, 02:56 AM
Find More Posts by Eganwp
Jesus saves!
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Feb 2009
1,025 Posts
Sucks to hear ParPar. Know what's ironic about it? My buddy nearly lost his 100cc Pitts 4 years ago because the Fromeco LiIon ignition battery died. Before he flew it was working perfectly and had lots of voltage, suddenly deadstick. Got it back in, and we took the ignition battery off; sure enough 0.0V and wouldn't take a charge. If it was mine, I would have torn it apart to look. The thing was completely toast. I've never trusted and have never bought a LiIon since that day! LOL I do have lots of Fromeco gear, but I run my own A123's, but I'd also trust theirs as well.

Its likely just coincidence, but for the very few people I know who run LiIon, there seem to be way too many failures with that battery technology. Possible vibration issue causing the issues, I have no idea... I rarely, if ever hear of a dead A123 or LiPo and there's prob 20 or 30 times as many of these packs out in the field which is odd.
Eganwp is offline Find More Posts by Eganwp
Old 04-11-2012, 06:32 AM
Find More Posts by Flyingaway
Suspended Account
United Arab Emirates, Dubai, Dubai
Joined Sep 2009
477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDoc View Post
Joe, what's the AUW w the hacker?
a little less than 2 lbs heavier
Flyingaway is offline Find More Posts by Flyingaway
Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 04-11-2012, 09:40 AM
Fast can be bad
Garden Grove, CA
Joined Nov 2009
3,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eganwp View Post
Sucks to hear ParPar. Know what's ironic about it? My buddy nearly lost his 100cc Pitts 4 years ago because the Fromeco LiIon ignition battery died. Before he flew it was working perfectly and had lots of voltage, suddenly deadstick. Got it back in, and we took the ignition battery off; sure enough 0.0V and wouldn't take a charge. If it was mine, I would have torn it apart to look. The thing was completely toast. I've never trusted and have never bought a LiIon since that day! LOL I do have lots of Fromeco gear, but I run my own A123's, but I'd also trust theirs as well.

Its likely just coincidence, but for the very few people I know who run LiIon, there seem to be way too many failures with that battery technology. Possible vibration issue causing the issues, I have no idea... I rarely, if ever hear of a dead A123 or LiPo and there's prob 20 or 30 times as many of these packs out in the field which is odd.
LI-IONS failing sooner then A123 or LI-po? this is something i have not heard. You might be on to something here. I feel a thread coming on. It would interesting to get some facts from Fromeco, hyperon....
Old 04-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Find More Posts by Eganwp
Jesus saves!
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Feb 2009
1,025 Posts
Ya, I'm skeptical of making the assumption, but who knows. Maybe it's the pulsating effect of the igntion on LiIon technology that the issue stems from. Would be interesting for someone to run some testing on this.
Eganwp is offline Find More Posts by Eganwp
Old 04-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Find More Posts by Lappster
Bismarck ND
Joined Jan 2007
792 Posts
I've had zero failures on lipo's and 4 on liIons, that's a big reason I'm running lipo's
t
Lappster is offline Find More Posts by Lappster
Old 04-11-2012, 05:23 PM
Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Still Draggin' 'Em
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Mar 2007
6,809 Posts
Li-Ions have a life expectancy of around 1-1/2 years. I have run li-ions longer than that. I don't replace them until they start dropping voltage faster than normal. Say I normally get ten flights and out of the blue, I only get eight before the voltage is getting low, that's when I know they're on their way out and replace them. I've never had a li-ion fail, but I've also never used Fromeco. I've always used Duralite.
BOSSIER_ROB is offline Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Old 04-11-2012, 10:52 PM
Fast can be bad
Garden Grove, CA
Joined Nov 2009
3,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappster View Post
I've had zero failures on lipo's and 4 on liIons, that's a big reason I'm running lipo's
t
Tell us more. Please go add it to the other thread " do Li-ions fail sooner...."
Old 04-11-2012, 10:56 PM
Find More Posts by Friedclutch
Go big
Sacramento ca
Joined Aug 2009
229 Posts
What a trip. This is the first I have ever heard of li-ion problems. Everybody in IMAC that I know uses li-ion/fromeco. Quite a few peeps. None of us has ever had a problem. Ya'all mounting these correctly? Seriously. Years and years of use. I have only replaced mine because of 3 or more seasons. Definitely not saying you guys are FOS.. Just a first for me. I have had a couple few guys say that the duralite A123's had some problems but that was 2 years ago.

Rock on

Robert
Friedclutch is offline Find More Posts by Friedclutch
Old 04-16-2012, 09:08 AM
Fast can be bad
Garden Grove, CA
Joined Nov 2009
3,576 Posts
Morning-- installed my Tech-Aero IBEC last week. That was great advice you guys. I now have ignition power redundancy. I like the ignition kill safety factor now too.

Plane looks as good as new. Funny how after you scratch them up a little you fly them harder and lower,

Couple things i noticed while rebuilding that you might want to check on.
The lower wood panel on the engine box separated from the front plate. Structurally wise no big deal. But my throttle servo was bouncing all over the place being that it is screwed to it. 30 min epoxy--- all better.

Same for the top plate. 30 min epoxy all better.

Now that i think about it i wished i would have pulled the engine off, the alum angles off and glued everything up real nice. Something to keep an eye on.

The side of the engine box wood seemed very dry almost soft. Not sure how to explain it. Almost like there was no glue holding the plies together. it was only the first 5 or six inches. the rest, going back into the airframe you could see that there was plenty of glue. I took thin CA and it wicked in to the plies super fast, drank it. After that i took some thinned epoxy and pushed it in to the plies.
So just some stuff to watch for. Not the end of the world kind of stuff.
Last edited by parpar1; 04-16-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:47 AM
Find More Posts by Franke21m
Suspended Account
Rapid City, SD
Joined Jan 2010
685 Posts
Was wondering what size servo arms is being used. I seen on the flylow3d website Joe is using like 1.5 on ailerons and 1.75 on the other surfaces or something like that. Just wondering.
Franke21m is offline Find More Posts by Franke21m
Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 04-16-2012, 09:55 AM
Fast can be bad
Garden Grove, CA
Joined Nov 2009
3,576 Posts
http://www.airwildpilotshop.com/More...=product&id=90

1.5 on 7955 servos. With throws on my transmitter cranked all the way up.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:47 AM
Find More Posts by ghoffman
United States, FL, Jupiter
Joined Nov 2009
11,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parpar1 View Post
Morning-- installed my Tech-Aero IBEC last week. Great advice you guys i now have ignition power redundancy. I like the ignition kill safety factor now too.

Plane looks as good as new. Funny how after you scratch them up a little you fly them harder and lower,

Couple things i noticed while rebuilding that you might want to check on.
The lower wood panel on the engine box separated from the front plate. Structurally wise no big deal. But my throttle servo was bouncing all over the place being that it is screwed to it. 30 min epoxy--- all better.

Same for the top plate. 30 min epoxy all better.

Now that i think about it i wished i would have pulled the engine off, the alum angles off and glued everything up real nice. Something to keep an eye on.

The side of the engine box wood seemed very dry almost soft. Not sure how to explain it. Almost like there was no glue holding the plies together. it was only the first 5 or six inches. the rest, going back into the airframe you could see that there was plenty of glue. I took thin CA and it wicked in to the plies super fast, drank it. After that i took some thinned epoxy and pushed it in to the plies.
So just some stuff to watch for. Not the end of the world kind of stuff.
One of the things I do, (probably left over from my glow days) is to dilute some 30 minute epoxy with denatured alcohol and "paint" the engine box inside and out, and basically go over all the wood with it back as far as I can. Not only does it seal the wood, but the thinned out epoxy soaks into all the bond joints and makes it stiffer with little weight penalty. Also, on other planes that do not have the aluminum reinforcements like the 104 AJS, I usually add some graphite cloth on the inside of the engine box before the thinned epoxy.
ghoffman is offline Find More Posts by ghoffman

Quick Reply