Joined Oct 2007
2 Posts
Discussion
YAK M55 versus YAK 54

I fly IMAC competition, with 35 and 40% models. Would appreciate help
from someone who has used both the YAK M55 and the YAK 54 in the
35% size as to the difference in performance, especially regards IMAC
sequences . Also what manufacturer was used, e.g., aeroworks,
pilot, carden, etc. and model year. Power will be DA100 on Cans.
waltermitty is offline Find More Posts by waltermitty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-21-2014, 08:06 PM
Find More Posts by tande
United States, MI, Millington
Joined Sep 2008
1,832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
I fly IMAC competition, with 35 and 40% models. Would appreciate help
from someone who has used both the YAK M55 and the YAK 54 in the
35% size as to the difference in performance, especially regards IMAC
sequences . Also what manufacturer was used, e.g., aeroworks,
pilot, carden, etc. and model year. Power will be DA100 on Cans.
Well.....I have both in the "PRC" brand.....but, I don't fly IMAC.....just an old guy who likes big airplanes......if I can help, don't hesitate......
tande is offline Find More Posts by tande
Old 10-21-2014, 08:50 PM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts
I try to find a plane with a longer fuse. If it is thinner that helps also. I believe this helps with wind correction and is more easily controllable. For instance I owned both a AW Extra 300 and currently have the H9 Extra 300 35%. Hands down the H9 is much easier for IMAC (and does everything better) than the AW, and the H9 is not nearly as affected by cross winds. So looking between Pilot and AW I would lean heavily towards Pilot because they are several inchs longer than AW. However it also just boils down to getting out and flying. But in my case of the Extra 300 the H9 I just felt much more at home with and at ease flying it. Some planes just seem like an extension of yourself. Within a few flights I knew the H9 was for me.

Between the 54 and 55 the 54 may be better at knife edge than the 55 because of the bigger canopy. But I have not flown a 55 to really give you a definite answer. But the 54's are still my favorite plane to date. I will likely own another one in my future. Maybe a Carden or Dalton though.
jamesrxx951 is offline Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Old 10-21-2014, 08:57 PM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts
Just throwing this out there, if you want a 35% IMAC machine the H9 Extra 300 would be my vote hands down. I know you are between yaks but just throwing it out there.
jamesrxx951 is offline Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Old 10-21-2014, 09:05 PM
Find More Posts by columbo
IMAC
United States, OK, Norman
Joined Jan 2006
1,015 Posts
I have owned a 33% TOC Yak 54, a 35% Yak55M, and currently own a 40% Yak 55M that I use for competing in IMAC. I am currently in the sportsman class, and will be flying in intermediate next year. Both planes fly great, but I like the 55M more for IMAC. It tracks very well and flies at a near constant speed with the DA-150. It is a large plane with a 126 inch wingspan and is made by Aeroplus RC. In addition to its great precision flight, it also is very stable for 3D/freestyle and the airframe is very strong with carbon fiber reinforcements. I have attached a picture of the plane.
columbo is offline Find More Posts by columbo
Last edited by columbo; 10-21-2014 at 11:57 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:23 PM
Find More Posts by waltermitty
bellevue,wa.
Joined Oct 2007
2 Posts
Thanks all, I have ordered the PRC YAK M55 since it makes sense that because of minimum body profile
less cross wind problems. Also new PRC M55 has increased aileron area for better 3D.
How much power gain can I expect if I put my DA100 on RE2's (instead of front dump cans);or, is there a better pipe?
What would be the difference in noise abatement with RE2's versus front dump cans(KS86V)?
Will I need a prop change if on pipes vs cans? (with standard DA exhaust, not cans, I run Mejzlik 28x10)
What would be the optimum header length for the DA100 on RE2's?
waltermitty is offline Find More Posts by waltermitty
Old 10-24-2014, 12:39 PM
Find More Posts by tande
United States, MI, Millington
Joined Sep 2008
1,832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
Thanks all, I have ordered the PRC YAK M55 since it makes sense that because of minimum body profile
less cross wind problems. Also new PRC M55 has increased aileron area for better 3D.
How much power gain can I expect if I put my DA100 on RE2's (instead of front dump cans);or, is there a better pipe?
What would be the difference in noise abatement with RE2's versus front dump cans(KS86V)?
Will I need a prop change if on pipes vs cans? (with standard DA exhaust, not cans, I run Mejzlik 28x10)
What would be the optimum header length for the DA100 on RE2's?
FWIW.....You MAY find this airframe to be underpowered for 3D with the "DA100".....I have this airframe with a "GP123" up front......seems about right......(this is a somewhat large/heavy bird).....YMMV......again FWIW
tande is offline Find More Posts by tande
Old 10-24-2014, 02:09 PM
Find More Posts by Glyder
United States, OH, Canton
Joined Sep 2011
873 Posts
Make sure you get those pocket hinge problems straightened out if you go with the Yak55 from Pilot.
Glyder is offline Find More Posts by Glyder
Old 10-24-2014, 02:24 PM
Find More Posts by flying skunks
FFAA for Life
Flying with the Best of Friends
Joined May 2006
19,622 Posts
The 55 is definitely a better IMAC plane , and a Dayum good 3D plane ...very much so a constant speed plane ..I have a 120 on pipes , and love the combo ..we have a 200+ flights as of now ..the 55 is what made me build a round plane again
flying skunks is offline Find More Posts by flying skunks

Quick Reply