Old 03-11-2012, 12:22 AM
Find More Posts by parpar1
Fast can be bad
Garden Grove, CA
Joined Nov 2009
3,576 Posts
Discussion
Wolverine switch rethiking it

Wolverine switch rethiking it. I ran two switches in the past. After reading many post about Wolerine switches i bought one for the AJSlick 104. ...... move forward to today.....

I look inside my airframe and I see a broken wire between one regulator and the receiver. What the crap!! And say "Good thing i saw it before anything happened". So heres the deal. I run dual batteries and dual regs for redunency. In the past i would flip one switch on and bang "power" turn it off and hit the other "power". Both systems are working. Off i go!!! So now i have a Wolverine------Now i turn on one switch and both reg's fire up because of the Wolverine battery sharing fires up both regs with the flip of one switch. So now i realize i have to pull the power wire out of the receiver to do my test. I bought the wolverine to protect against battery shorts taking down both batteries. It the switch fails in a closed state. Now i must rethink.

So i ask you. How common is a battery short when compared to a failed plug, broken wire, failed pin, diconnected plug.. Starting to rethink what i have done.

I have seen many wire, plug, pin issues. i dont think i have ever seen a battery short. Well except if it had been in a crash or super poor installation.

So i ask
Pull it out? and go back simple.
Or
Keep it and check/dig a little deeper every time i go out for the weekend to make sure i am good.
parpar1 is offline Find More Posts by parpar1
Last edited by parpar1; 03-11-2012 at 01:43 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-11-2012, 01:25 AM
Find More Posts by JoeHerbert
United States, NC, Morehead City
Joined Feb 2006
751 Posts
You must have both batteries hooked up for it to turn on both outputs on the switch. As long as both batts are there when you start up then both outputs work, if you only hook up one batt. Then youll only get one side to work....they really work well I have one in my 40%. Been using it since 07.

Try starting with both packs hooked up and then unplug one and both outputs should remain on
JoeHerbert is offline Find More Posts by JoeHerbert
Old 03-11-2012, 01:42 AM
Fast can be bad
Garden Grove, CA
Joined Nov 2009
3,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHerbert View Post
You must have both batteries hooked up for it to turn on both outputs on the switch. As long as both batts are there when you start up then both outputs work, if you only hook up one batt. Then youll only get one side to work....they really work well I have one in my 40%. Been using it since 07.

Try starting with both packs hooked up and then unplug one and both outputs should remain on
Nope still cant test that way. unhooked one battery and yes only one switched worked but it still fired up both regulators. So if one power line between a reg and receiver is broke i wont see it.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:59 AM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
8,437 Posts
I thought the wolverine switch simply alternated from one battery to the other based on voltages?
Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir
Old 03-11-2012, 07:01 AM
Find More Posts by E260
FUTABA
Cleveland Ohio
Joined Feb 2010
841 Posts
I have used wolverine switches for the last 3 years . they will be in all my planes , I have had no issues with them at all. Very good product.

Bryon
E260 is offline Find More Posts by E260
Old 03-11-2012, 07:14 AM
Find More Posts by Siko_Flyer
Know God,no fear!
United States, TX, Tyler
Joined Jun 2007
3,681 Posts
Parpar,I don't use switches,plug\unplug before\after each flight.Don't have to worry about a switch failure,and I can see that each battery is working,same as your 2 switch test.I thought I would get tired of pulling the canopy and could add switches
later,but after a year I still like it.I like keeping it simple and reducing as many possible failure points as I can,so no switches,regulators,power expanders,etc... I will say one benefit to pulling the canopy,after a flight a few months ago I found one of my battery extensions had came out of the rx,if I had been using switches I would not have caught that and possibly could have lost a plane.Now I have dental floss tied around all connectors into rx.Just another option.
Jeff Sikes
Siko_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Siko_Flyer
Old 03-11-2012, 06:19 PM
Fast can be bad
Garden Grove, CA
Joined Nov 2009
3,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
I thought the wolverine switch simply alternated from one battery to the other based on voltages?
It does. Plus isolate a shorted battery and if a switch fails it fails in the on position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siko_Flyer View Post
Parpar,I don't use switches,plugunplug beforeafter each flight.Don't have to worry about a switch failure,and I can see that each battery is working,same as your 2 switch test.I thought I would get tired of pulling the canopy and could add switches
later,but after a year I still like it.I like keeping it simple and reducing as many possible failure points as I can,so no switches,regulators,power expanders,etc... I will say one benefit to pulling the canopy,after a flight a few months ago I found one of my battery extensions had came out of the rx,if I had been using switches I would not have caught that and possibly could have lost a plane.Now I have dental floss tied around all connectors into rx.Just another option.
Jeff Sikes
I do the detal floss trick. That was a great tip.
Pull the canopy every time

Now that i have had some time to think about it what i am going to do is add a L E D on each of the power leads going into the receiver so i see that power is getting to the receiver from BOTH power sources.

I dont think i can deal with pulling the canopy every time. And i still like that the switch, if it fails stays on.

Now i need to rig something up to make that work, and sell them? Thinking?
Old 03-11-2012, 06:56 PM
Find More Posts by E260
FUTABA
Cleveland Ohio
Joined Feb 2010
841 Posts
Quote:
Parpar,I don't use switches,plugunplug beforeafter each flight.Don't have to worry about a switch failure,and I can see that each battery is working,same as your 2 switch test.I thought I would get tired of pulling the canopy and could add switches
Jeff Sikes
Jeff

I use the fromeco regs and had them put 3 output leads on them . That way if a lead came out of the reciever you would still have 2 in.

I know my wolverine switch does what it is supposed to do, one time i flew and only turned 1 of the switches on and when i came down checked the packs and 1 was lower then the other. So the next flight i made sure both switches were on and when checked after the flight the packs were the same so i know it keeps the packs equal.

Every one does things diffferent and i personally like the wolverine and badger switch i dont think there are any others out there that i would trust in my planes.

Bryon
E260 is offline Find More Posts by E260
Old 03-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Find More Posts by Siko_Flyer
Know God,no fear!
United States, TX, Tyler
Joined Jun 2007
3,681 Posts
Not saying I don't trust wolverine switches,I just try to limit ANY potential failure points.No setup is fool proof,as I have seen just about everything cause a failure,switches,regulators,power expanders,rx's,batteries,tx's,balsa wood,my thumbs.The one thing I do worry about with not using a switch is if one of my batteries goes bad it could kill the other one.I wonder if a diode would help that?
You guys have to understand one thing about me to understand why I set my planes up this way.If someone made a tx that had never had a failure,a rx,a servo,a switch,a pe,a battery,a plane,and none of them had a failure in 50 years,and I bought each of these things,everyone would have their first failure with ME,lol.
Jeff Sikes
Siko_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Siko_Flyer
Old 03-11-2012, 08:07 PM
Fast can be bad
Garden Grove, CA
Joined Nov 2009
3,576 Posts
Quote:
my thumbs.
LOL Today i was just thinking to hard doing rollingharriers practicing rolling left then switching right. Maybe a little to low for a newbe, rudder seemed to go the wrong way once, all on its own per my brain. Got up above 20 feet after that.

Quote:
The one thing I do worry about with not using a switch is if one of my batteries goes bad it could kill the other one.I wonder if a diode would help that?
And this is the one of two reasons i moved to the Wolverine. Second as i have said, fails closed / on. I truly did think of heading down the road you took, but the battery short posibility made me turn back to the Wolverine.

Why the heck did i start this thread last night. What was i thinking? You just cant go wrong with the Wolverine. Guess i freaked when i relized my test methoid was out the door.

Oh it has pretty blue lights too, just saying.

Quick Reply