logo
Old 12-21-2013, 09:18 AM
Find More Posts by PropsnWings
AMA LM CD IP
Joined Jul 2011
4,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry b View Post
If you all see a room called ( fg huckfest) or( I got your password right here) come on in and join the mayhem if there is a password required it will be POOP
POOP... And that would be the acronym for People Order Our Planes ?
PropsnWings is offline Find More Posts by PropsnWings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-21-2013, 09:42 AM
Find More Posts by henry b
self sponsored pilot
United States, PA, West Grove
Joined Dec 2006
690 Posts
works for me Props
henry b is offline Find More Posts by henry b
Old 12-21-2013, 09:43 AM
self sponsored pilot
Joined Dec 2006
690 Posts
room is open!
Old 12-21-2013, 12:53 PM
Find More Posts by funboy
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,622 Posts
I heard all the talk about RF 7, and after nearly a decade with Aerofly I decided to make the change. Only bad thing was Tower only had 6.5 so I ordered that. I sent in my free upgrade form and am waiting for the new software.

After flying Aerofly for so long, this isn't really as much of an actual upgrade simulator wise. I mean, sure, more airplanes, more fields, better virtual field graphics, more gimmiks, but when it comes to physics and the rest- it's not as big a step forward as I had hoped for. And the engine sounds... meh.

I will admit, once I figured out how to tweak the expo, and flew the many (almost all) the available airplanes and heli's on the airplane Mega pack, the feel is pretty decent. I still wish there were more than two ~100cc 3D gassers! And where is the P-47? Super Cub? Acromaster? BH 65% Fokker? AMR Waco? So many airplanes I still want to fly!
funboy is offline Find More Posts by funboy
Old 12-21-2013, 01:18 PM
self sponsored pilot
Joined Dec 2006
690 Posts
use the os 300 twin for engine sound you will like it
Old 12-23-2013, 08:46 PM
Find More Posts by airborne33
Romans 8:28
Freeport, Bahamas
Joined Aug 2008
364 Posts
Well guys, I just discovered that can use my old G3 controller with my RF7 :-)
airborne33 is offline Find More Posts by airborne33
Old 12-23-2013, 10:55 PM
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,622 Posts
OK, I'm going to eat my words. I was up till 2:30 this morning flying. I found and downloaded a pile of airplanes from their website, and flew every field available. Lots of cool stuff to see and do! I really like the program- once you know how importing airplanes is very easy.

Two gripes that stick- None of the planes will do a proper spin, regular or flat. And the snaps on some airplanes are just barrel rolls. Their goal for 7.5 should be proper spin physics. 2nd- I can't figure out how to change simple things like throws, or CG. I got Expo figured out. That made a huge difference in the way the planes feel.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:06 PM
AMA LM CD IP
Joined Jul 2011
4,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by funboy View Post
OK, I'm going to eat my words. I was up till 2:30 this morning flying. I found and downloaded a pile of airplanes from their website, and flew every field available. Lots of cool stuff to see and do! I really like the program- once you know how importing airplanes is very easy.

Two gripes that stick- None of the planes will do a proper spin, regular or flat. And the snaps on some airplanes are just barrel rolls. Their goal for 7.5 should be proper spin physics. 2nd- I can't figure out how to change simple things like throws, or CG. I got Expo figured out. That made a huge difference in the way the planes feel.
Is this your first RF?
Old 12-24-2013, 10:14 AM
Find More Posts by jace
Yak Attack
United States, UT, Cedar City
Joined Mar 2011
395 Posts
It's in the edit airplane tab funboy.
jace is offline Find More Posts by jace
Old 12-24-2013, 11:50 AM
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,622 Posts
First rf. Been flying aerofly for the better part of a decade. It took rf years to catch up.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:06 PM
AMA LM CD IP
Joined Jul 2011
4,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by funboy View Post
First rf. Been flying aerofly for the better part of a decade. It took rf years to catch up.
Ok, I was curious as you said you couldnt find the CG editable parameters. Look under the Edit tab as the previous poster just said. I wasnt sure if in 7 they changed things that much(I dont have mine yet, but had 6.5)
Old 12-24-2013, 01:12 PM
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,622 Posts
I find X,Y, and Z axis when it comes to CG. Clear as mud. Under radio software, airfame, and etc... I fond nothing labeled "throw, deflection, or high rates percentage." Not such a big deal, but still frustrating when you want to make a simple tweak like more rudder throw!

BTW-I'm still rolling 6.5 until my upgrade gets here.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:45 PM
Find More Posts by CatalinaWOW
United States, OR, Eagle Point
Joined Oct 2009
1,137 Posts
There are at least two ways to change cg. Changing at the first tab adjusts whole plane. You can also set mass and cg of each component. Haven't been able to tell (haven't tried too hard) to see if the physics engine can tell the difference.

I agree that there is little clarity on how things work. Getting in a poking around is one of the better ways to learn. There are some good tutorials on the Knife Edge forums (be sure to either search or look under the older versions. Anything from version 4 on will be pretty applicable). The forums themselves are of limited help. The most common posters are surly with little patience for beginners and an assurance that you couldn't possibly know what you are talking about. Your comment on spins for example would likely be met with comments that you just didn't understand real spins, or that you should just adjust the throws and fix it.

Be cautious of the downloaded planes. Some are excellent, but others have been put together with "interesting" notions of physics. The physics engine can't do much to compensate for zero mass wings and other features which sometimes show up. All of this can be tweaked, but it takes time.
CatalinaWOW is offline Find More Posts by CatalinaWOW
Old 12-24-2013, 01:55 PM
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,622 Posts
Thanks man, I get it. Anyone that tells me I don't know what a spin is or how it acts... After 50 hours of full scale flight and aerobatic training, and with 20+ years in model aviation, I am fairly confident I know what spins and snaps are. Not to mention the last decade flying IMAC, and winning a freestyle with a 120cc World Models 1/3 Super Cub against 3 other very competent 3D pilots with full tilt boogy 3D machines, well you can probably guess that my experience is based on how things work in the real world.

The KE forum has been kind to me so far. Just trying to refine a few smaller points on set up.

All that said- I really like the sim and it's features. I just wish some of the user interface was a little easier to use.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:00 PM
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,622 Posts
Jace got me straightened out on deflections. With Aerofly, everything is graphically based, and you literally click on whatever part of the airplane you want and you can adjust everything on one menu. With RF you have to hit airframe, wing, and then aileron to get the deflections.

It's like going from programming a JR to Futaba. You just have to drill deeper into the menu's and know where they are.

Thanks again Jace!

Quick Reply