logo
Old 02-17-2015, 03:47 PM
Find More Posts by skypup
Joined Jun 2008
87 Posts
Discussion
OS GGT 15

I ordered an OS GGT 15 petrol (glow plug version) engine today to test in a GP Escapade. I was wondering if anybody is running one? The thought of no ignition and gas is appealing. Thanks!
skypup is offline Find More Posts by skypup
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-18-2015, 12:32 AM
Find More Posts by akouzmit
14cc/21cc/33cc/36cc/40cc/60cc
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2013
623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypup View Post
I ordered an OS GGT 15 petrol (glow plug version) engine today to test in a GP Escapade. I was wondering if anybody is running one? The thought of no ignition and gas is appealing. Thanks!
-----
I do not have this unique engine, but other OS GT engines 22, 33 and 60 cc sizes.
I am wondering if this glow plug gas engine is the way to go ... Why many other gas engine manufactures still wasting money on ignition boxes development and manufacture?

I have a feeling there is some negative things about glow plug gas engine ....
How long glow plug May last in comparison with spark plug?
There is some reason why most gas powered cars are using spark plug instead of glow plug ...
I have a feeling that spark plug last much longer and thus is more reliable for critical applications.
I have seen several video clips about this new OS engine and starting and running looks very good, but why other companies not pioneering in this direction ?
Just curious what other gas engine owners thinking about this new direction OS is taking?
akouzmit is offline Find More Posts by akouzmit
Old 02-18-2015, 01:30 AM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
There are distinct advantages for a precision timed ignition event during the crank rotation. On a glo ignition system, the point of ignition varies with many factors including fuel mixture, engine temperature, etc. Worse than that, with a glo system, when the ignition goes out such as from a temporary lack of fuel, the engine quits running. With an ignition system, during the same lack of fuel event, if the prop is still turning, the ignition is still sparking so there is a much better change of the engine continuing to run when fuel returns.

I'm way back on the sidelines watching this whole glo / gas thing. It may be for some people but I'm not sure it is for me. I find tremendous advantages to running gas engines as we now know them, ignition box and all.
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 02-18-2015, 07:38 AM
Joined Jun 2008
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckracer View Post
There are distinct advantages for a precision timed ignition event during the crank rotation. On a glo ignition system, the point of ignition varies with many factors including fuel mixture, engine temperature, etc. Worse than that, with a glo system, when the ignition goes out such as from a temporary lack of fuel, the engine quits running. With an ignition system, during the same lack of fuel event, if the prop is still turning, the ignition is still sparking so there is a much better change of the engine continuing to run when fuel returns.

I'm way back on the sidelines watching this whole glo / gas thing. It may be for some people but I'm not sure it is for me. I find tremendous advantages to running gas engines as we now know them, ignition box and all.

One thing that caught my attention in the instructions is mention of the fact that if the plug doesn't seem to glow as much as a typical nitro fuel engine not to worry since the ignition point of gasoline is much lower and the plug will still work. I hadn't considered that when I thought about it. I ran glow for decades and found it to be generally quite reliable, with a lower ignition point maybe this isn't too crazy. Time will tell.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:13 AM
Find More Posts by birdbrain
Joined Oct 2009
357 Posts
Hi there pup , I have the norvel gasser and its still on its original plug after 2L of fuel which is a fair bit of running for that little engine . The youtube vid
OSGGT15 TEST RUN (4 min 11 sec)
from Brian Winch here in Aus show that the OS runs pretty good . Another engine that uses this technology is enyas 30cc one so I wouldnt worry about the OS being a dud but thats just me .I would think that there might be more of these types of engine on the way but thats just a guess . Cheers the brain
birdbrain is offline Find More Posts by birdbrain
Old 02-18-2015, 08:15 AM
Find More Posts by AHicks
Joined May 2009
1,914 Posts
I have an open mind when it come to "new stuff". That said, not willing to be the guinea pig. I'll be patiently waiting reviews by guys flying them - especially when they're charging what they are for these things. Best of luck with the new engine! Hope it works out well for you.

Regarding the Enya, unless something has changed, they suggest using a proprietary oil (available only from Enya).

-Al
AHicks is offline Find More Posts by AHicks
Old 02-19-2015, 06:07 AM
Joined Jun 2008
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdbrain View Post
Hi there pup , I have the norvel gasser and its still on its original plug after 2L of fuel which is a fair bit of running for that little engine . The youtube vid OSGGT15 TEST RUN - YouTube from Brian Winch here in Aus show that the OS runs pretty good . Another engine that uses this technology is enyas 30cc one so I wouldnt worry about the OS being a dud but thats just me .I would think that there might be more of these types of engine on the way but thats just a guess . Cheers the brain
Hi birdbrain

I considered that norvel engine and came close to buying one. The plug longevity gave me hope for the OS.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:56 PM
Find More Posts by birdbrain
Joined Oct 2009
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypup View Post
Hi birdbrain

I considered that norvel engine and came close to buying one. The plug longevity gave me hope for the OS.
I think everyone that has one ( norvel ) likes them , just very messy but cool anyway and Im not sorry I got mine . I wish the OS was a wee bit cheaper and I might give it a try . I have the ign. version but unrun at this point . World hobbies here in Aus has them and Ive got a few engines from them and there good folks to deal with and might bbe good value with the $ the way it is . Cheers from the brain
birdbrain is offline Find More Posts by birdbrain
Old 02-20-2015, 12:16 AM
Find More Posts by bcchi
Riverton Wy 82501
Joined Mar 2007
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckracer View Post

Going to see how this plays out.I can see it now guys buying this OS GGP for there
S.T.and many other glo engines.Fun,Fun,Fun.
BCCHI Grumpy old C&H guy

s.

t.
bcchi is offline Find More Posts by bcchi
Old 02-20-2015, 08:33 AM
Joined May 2009
1,914 Posts
Curious too, as the thought of converting smaller ignition equipped gassers to glow has crossed my mind as well.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:12 PM
Joined Jun 2008
87 Posts
Engine pump?

With the type of pump used on this engine how critical would you expect the tank location or position to be? Just curious. I've never had a nitro pumped engine over the years and don't know what to expect with a set up like this.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:45 PM
Joined May 2009
1,914 Posts
In theory, the presence of the pump would make tank location a moot point. In reality though, no clue. It would depend on how good that pump can do it's job?
Last edited by AHicks; 02-20-2015 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:14 AM
Joined Jun 2008
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdbrain View Post
I think everyone that has one ( norvel ) likes them , just very messy but cool anyway and Im not sorry I got mine . I wish the OS was a wee bit cheaper and I might give it a try . I have the ign. version but unrun at this point . World hobbies here in Aus has them and Ive got a few engines from them and there good folks to deal with and might bbe good value with the $ the way it is . Cheers from the brain
I ran the norvel o61 and o74 in the LMH 110 helicopters and can say they are quality engines and were always reliable. I went with the larger OS and bigger plane for visibility as my eyes get older, the rest of my body still acts young.....yea right.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:15 AM
Joined Jun 2008
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHicks View Post
In theory, the presence of the pump would make tank location a moot point. In reality though, no clue. It would depend on how good that pump can do it's job?
My thoughts too......guess I'll find out.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:29 PM
Joined Jun 2008
87 Posts
Fuel line question...flow rate

Here is some info for the GGT15 engine. If the pickup line is recommended to have a 2mm ID why would they recommend a larger ID for the other tank lines? Wouldn't the 2mm set up the max flow rate to the carb? Waiting for engine to get delivered today. It's on the brown truck "out for delivery".

For plumbing use TYGON F-4040 (Yellow color) or
strong nitrile rubber of more than 2.4-3.2mm ID and
4.8-6.4mm OD. Replace tubing periodically as it
becomes hardened. (Replace tubing inside the fuel
tank every six months.)
The Needle-Valve
For adjusting the mixture strength when the throttle is
fully open Needle-valve adjustment effect the mixture
strength at round mid speed.
The Mixture Control Valve
For adjusting the mixture strength at part-throttle and
idle speed, to obtain steady idling and smooth
acceleration to mid speed.
Two adjustable controls are provided on this
carburetor.
Please note with this carburetor, needle-valve
adjustment does not effect the mixture control valve
adjustment but the mixture control valve adjustment
effects the needle-valve adjustment. Therefore, it is
required to adjust also the needle-valve when the
mixture control valve is adjusted. Mixture control valve
is pre-set at the near-best position when the engine
leaves the factory. Therefore, it is not necessary to
adjust the mixture control valve until running-in is
completed.
Use a fuel with increased oil content and set the
needle a little on the rich side. Too rich a needle
setting may cause misfiring or erratic running due to
fouling of the plug.
Use a 25:1 fuel/oil mixture if the particular brand of
oil states 50:1 mix. Use a 20:1 fuel/oil mixture if the
particular brand of oil states 25:1 mix.
Set only the high speed needle 200 below maximum
rpm. The low speed needle need not be richened.
No need to carry out running-in on a bench nor with
the model fixed. Just fly the model with the above
mentioned fuel and needle setting.
A total of 10 flights (2 litters fuel) are required.
Avoid prolonged full throttle running at initial stage,
and gradually extend the full throttle running time.
RUNNING-IN
WARNING:
When ground running the engine, avoid dusty or
sandy locations. If dust or grit is drawn into the
engine, this can have a ruinous effect, drastically
shortening engine life in a matter of minutes.
GLOWPLUG IGNITER
For the plumbing in the fuel tank, we recommend
using O.S. fluororubber tube 2 mm ID x 4 mm OD x
500 mm length (code # 28382100

Quick Reply