logo
Old 03-03-2012, 11:11 AM
Find More Posts by hangingbach
RCX-Head of Design
Lahore, Pakistan
Joined Aug 2009
810 Posts
thank you pete we have taken note of your suggestion.
hangingbach is offline Find More Posts by hangingbach
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-03-2012, 02:24 PM
Find More Posts by qmulus
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitatio
Arvada, CO
Joined Sep 2007
523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hangingbach View Post
<snip>
No down payments or advances are needed to order your plane. A simple order needs to be placed with BAJ in the United States and we will contact you with the customization options. You will draft out a wish list and we will put it together. Once the plane is made you will be informed that it is ready to ship, the payment will be made through PayPal.
<snip
VERY bad idea. As a small business owner myself, I can tell you that this can not work. IME, there is no limit to the number of ways customers can screw you especially if they have no "skin in the game". At a minimum I would take a 50% non-refundable deposit on any special order (or whatever amount will cover your expenses if it goes wrong - and it will at some point I guarantee). This must be in writing.

I do like the idea of offering highly customized ARFs. Pilot started this, and IMO it is a great business model as long as you can handle it. The key is to be able to do this in a timely manner, which has obviously been an issue so far. I would also have a set list of options, and limit customization to those items and have any options in stock before agreeing to add them. EVERYTHING must be documented and approved before you start. Remember that anything you add must also be to your level of quality and that by including it you are going to have to warranty it if something goes wrong. It is too easy to get bogged down with a customer who keeps changing things, waiting for vendors to supply parts, ordering items which suddenly become obsolete, etc. BTDT, do not make the same mistake.

Good luck.

Steve
qmulus is offline Find More Posts by qmulus
Old 03-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Find More Posts by Bam Bam
Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2007
3,383 Posts
Doc, I agree with mode 1.

I understand that because of your past experience you wish to do this, bug I fear you would certainly be taken for a ride, and that would spoil it for the honest guys!

Business is business, and it's very important that you run it like a professional business man if you hope to make enough to stay healthy.

Weather or not you go down the path of accepting deposits or not, because you will be selling a one off custom item, I would draw up a proper order form/singed contract to prevent all sorts of potential problems.
Bam Bam is offline Find More Posts by Bam Bam
Old 03-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2007
3,383 Posts
Steve spelled it out right for you!
Old 03-03-2012, 02:37 PM
Find More Posts by MODE 1
Joined Jul 2008
4,715 Posts
And I agree with gmulus.
Make a list of only parts you know you will always have a stock of and offer only them as part of the unique customizing package or you'll have some customers wanting parts you dont have but feel compeled to aquire to secure a sale and you Doc will be doing all the running around whilst the business crumbles into a mess around you.

Keep it simple.
Offer a good selection if you can.
Make sure you have what you offer always in stock and leave it up to the customer to pick from your list.
Start off slowly and concentrate on the models quality, shipping etc and it will sell itself without trying too hard to attract the customer.
There's always the opportunity to expand at a later date once your established.
MODE 1 is offline Find More Posts by MODE 1
Old 03-03-2012, 04:56 PM
Find More Posts by DadsToysBG
Bowling Green, Ky
Joined Mar 2006
728 Posts
I also as a business owner must agree with the above. I know the history of deposits and no planes. I fell this is why your offering no deposits. Since you are now going to do 1 up planes may I suggest this. A signed contract with all the add ons. total price with shipping. 50% Deposit with Baj using a escrow account. This to protect the buyer. If the buyer changes his mind he losses the deposit. If on the other hand the plane can not to delivered in a timely manner then the deposit is returned to the buyer. Doing this protects both you and the buyer.
You must also have some kind of idea how long it will take to have the plane built and shipped. the buyer must have an idea when to expect the plane. All this must be in the contract.
I do this in my store. All special orders are paid in advance. If they are put on BO then the customer has the choice of cancelling and getting a refund or waiting.
In the beginning I wanted to get as much business as I could and took orders without payment. I can't tell you how much stuff I got stuck with. Calling and leaving messages. Being told they changed their minds. Telling me they're be here next week and never showing up. I could go on and on but I think you get the idea.
Now if I call and they take a month to pick up their order it's no big deal. I got paid.
Best of luck in your future sales. Dennis
DadsToysBG is offline Find More Posts by DadsToysBG
Old 03-03-2012, 07:13 PM
Find More Posts by David269
Joined Jun 2011
172 Posts
Given the history, when I decide to get a plane from this company, I will give a deposit to Baj and the final when it arrives to Baj's house, ONLY.
David269 is offline Find More Posts by David269
Old 03-03-2012, 08:08 PM
Find More Posts by jackterrell
Not a crash till it touches
Pontotoc, ms
Joined Jan 2006
278 Posts
This is great news after two years of making airplanes and with all the happy customer's you are going to offer "Multiple Options"! Wow, that is great! I want to step in line to order one with many options.

Jackie Willard
jackterrell is offline Find More Posts by jackterrell
Old 03-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Joined Jul 2008
4,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackterrell View Post
This is great news after two years of making airplanes and with all the happy customer's you are going to offer "Multiple Options"! Wow, that is great! I want to step in line to order one with many options.

Jackie Willard
Sarcasm? If so I don't think its really fair to persecute them until the end of time. Sure they made many mistakes and gradually they are admitting to it and taking on board feed back that should be an asset to them in the future. Who hasn't loused up on a new business venture first time round?
Yes they dragged their feet but the bottom line is its all history. They stuck to their word despite the numerous complaints and ridicule by so many which cant be ignored as anything but a positive attempt to see it through against all the odds. I can think of several who would have thrown in the towel long before page 50 was reached.
Its time to move forward and see how it works from today not yesterday.
Cover yourself legally and financially in case of a repeat performance by all means but bringing up the past wont undo anything.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:34 PM
Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2007
3,383 Posts
Well said!
Old 03-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Joined Jul 2008
4,715 Posts
Thanks Andrew. I know I'm far from perfect. I've had lessons spelt out to me many times on here but I like to think I'm straight in my opinions and not swayed by emotions or ill feeling just because I could.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:28 AM
Find More Posts by Jkoch713
Hermit
Joined Jan 2008
1,607 Posts
Rcx
I would concentrate on getting the current plane as is.... It is quite customized already...nothing out there like it.
Make many sell many and charge accordingly. Later offer some different color schemes.
Otherwise, the word customised to me means: multiple sizes of control surfaces, from smaller for iMac and 3d stock size...sct.. it just would at that point, to have someone locally build a kit with these mods already done.

I would stick to the original plan for know...
Jkoch713 is offline Find More Posts by Jkoch713
Old 03-07-2012, 12:26 PM
RTK
Find More Posts by RTK
RTK
Left Coast
Joined Jan 2006
4,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MODE 1 View Post
And I agree with gmulus.
Make a list of only parts you know you will always have a stock of and offer only them as part of the unique customizing package or you'll have some customers wanting parts you dont have but feel compeled to aquire to secure a sale and you Doc will be doing all the running around whilst the business crumbles into a mess around you.

Keep it simple.
Offer a good selection if you can.
Make sure you have what you offer always in stock and leave it up to the customer to pick from your list.
Start off slowly and concentrate on the models quality, shipping etc and it will sell itself without trying too hard to attract the customer.
There's always the opportunity to expand at a later date once your established.
+1 to you and gmulus
RTK is offline Find More Posts by RTK
Old 03-07-2012, 01:49 PM
Baj
Find More Posts by Baj
Baj
United States, MA, Bridgewater
Joined Sep 2009
4,311 Posts
Folks, some very nice posts have been posted, it was a pleasure to read them, Thats how I feel this would be your company, because it is you who are shaping its policy.

At least I am most grateful for all your comments both postive and negative. In the negative I find a constant remider of the past and what to avoid in the future.

Doc, your final and last instalment is held up until the shipping papers for both Jarhead and Owen are sent and the balance for Mr. Hayes is paid in full His amount will be deducted and sent to him. Jarhead was given my word that he would have his plane before I leave, and I am counting on you to uphold my word given, I would be most grateful.

Thank you Doc, I will be back in Lahore on the 12th and leave on the 15th for USA

Regards
Baj is offline Find More Posts by Baj
Old 03-07-2012, 02:01 PM
Baj
Find More Posts by Baj
Baj
United States, MA, Bridgewater
Joined Sep 2009
4,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkoch713 View Post
Rcx
I would concentrate on getting the current plane as is.... It is quite customized already...nothing out there like it.
Make many sell many and charge accordingly. Later offer some different color schemes.
Otherwise, the word customised to me means: multiple sizes of control surfaces, from smaller for iMac and 3d stock size...sct.. it just would at that point, to have someone locally build a kit with these mods already done.

I would stick to the original plan for know...

The current plane is the final product put out by RCX, no changes in design or structure will be made.
Baj is offline Find More Posts by Baj

Quick Reply