Old 10-04-2013, 09:31 AM
Find More Posts by 401HITMAN
I like Mountain Dew!!
Elkhart Lake WI USA
Joined Jul 2007
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHENOM View Post
Im not saying your bashing AW. I completely understand your problem. Ive heard it many times. Thanks for sharing. Maybe AW will see this and fix the problem.
Fixing the problem starts by handling the unsatisfied customer. If AW does not provide better customer service they don't need to fix any quality issues because AW won't sell anymore airplanes.

Take a look at the growing number of AW quality failures, there's a lot of them.
401HITMAN is offline Find More Posts by 401HITMAN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-04-2013, 10:16 AM
Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
wrongwayfeldman
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Mar 2010
3,834 Posts
And to think i actually was recently daydreaming about getting one of thoes aw planes...now AW geting my money is a dream to them....im going with pilot or extreme flight...
ponyboy082662 is online now Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
Old 10-04-2013, 10:21 AM
Find More Posts by lancairron
United States, NC, Clemmons
Joined Jan 2009
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy082662 View Post
And to think i actually was recently daydreaming about getting one of thoes aw planes...now AW geting my money is a dream to them....im going with pilot or extreme flight...
Hello Ponyboy. I buy a new airframe just about every Christmas. It was almost always an Aeroworks, usually during their holiday sale. This year I will try something new...
lancairron is offline Find More Posts by lancairron
Old 10-04-2013, 10:22 AM
Find More Posts by yakwards
Check it bleed,bro was on.
United States, VA, Hampton
Joined Apr 2010
2,477 Posts
I have made it a habit of replacing the wooden dowels on all my planes(3D planes mind you)with carbon fiber for smaller electrics & metal for gassers.Ive noticed 3DHS still uses wooden dowels for the anti rotation pins but EF uses carbon or metal which to me should be a standard practice.Ill say this,on a warbird I would think wooden dowels should be fine but since I have been flying 3D planes for almost 3 years now Ive broken & stressed quite a few planes over the years which has made me change wooden dowels & add CA to everything.Since this a warbird I would think the stress levels would be less but for a wooden dowel to come out on a maiden flight indicates it was probably not glued correctly in the first place.If this happened after 25 flights or so maybe I could swallow it but even then I would think it should have been glued better.I have to agree with the op on this one,especially on light of all the recent AW wing failure threads that have been rampant on here recently.I would never ever own AW,especially after seeing all this.It also sounds like their customer service sucks too.
yakwards is offline Find More Posts by yakwards
Old 10-04-2013, 10:25 AM
Joined Jan 2009
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakwards View Post
I have made it a habit of replacing the wooden dowels on all my planes(3D planes mind you)with carbon fiber for smaller electrics & metal for gassers.Ive noticed 3DHS still uses wooden dowels for the anti rotation pins but EF uses carbon or metal which to me should be a standard practice.Ill say this,on a warbird I would think wooden dowels should be fine but since I have been flying 3D planes for almost 3 years now Ive broken & stressed quite a few planes over the years which has made me change wooden dowels & add CA to everything.Since this a warbird I would think the stress levels would be less but for a wooden dowel to come out on a maiden flight indicates it was probably not glued correctly in the first place.If this happened after 25 flights or so maybe I could swallow it but even then I would think it should have been glued better.I have to agree with the op on this one,especially on light of all the recent AW wing failure threads that have been rampant on here recently.I would never ever own AW,especially after seeing all this.It also sounds like their customer service sucks too.
Thanks Yakwards.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:34 AM
Find More Posts by SleepyC
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barn-E-Stormer View Post
I will never forget standing on the line at Joe Nall watching a guy fly his AW Edge around at 3/4 throttle, not even doing a maneuver, and the wing blew off just past the wing tube. Spectacular crash!! Wish I had my camera rolling.
I'm not defending or getting into the AW comments here at all, but what I will say is... and this goes for ANY airplane, unless you have witnessed every single flight of that airplane the above observation is pointless.

I HAVE witnessed guys doing 100 mph inverted hurricanes pushing full down elevator into an awesome upward spiraling poptopish type thing, and repeat this 7 times in a flight and land. Later that day they are doing a 20 mph KE pass and the wing snaps in half and everyone says "Dude the wing exploded for no reason in a 20 MPH KE!!"

Yea, the other 300 abusive flights did nothing to that airframe, it was that 20 mph KE.
SleepyC is offline Find More Posts by SleepyC
Old 10-04-2013, 10:38 AM
Joined Apr 2010
2,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancairron View Post
Thanks Yakwards.
No problem.It sucks that you may not get anything from AW but news like this spreads like wildfire & in the long run just relish in the satisfaction that this will hurt AW financially.The rc world is a pretty tight knit community & when issues like these keep popping up people take notice.There will always be new people that have never been to a place like this that will but AW from the Tower website but they're not going to spend a lot of money like folks like I would & have.Im sure without a response to the recent allegations their business will not increase,thats a given.
EF,3DHS & Pilot RC IMO are the top 3 & based on my past history these companies not only provide a quality product they back it up when something goes wrong,which at some point when mass producing anything,it will.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:38 AM
Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
wrongwayfeldman
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Mar 2010
3,834 Posts
hello to you also

Quote:
Hello Ponyboy. I buy a new airframe just about every Christmas. It was almost always an Aeroworks, usually during their holiday sale. This year I will try something new...
several friends have AW planes and i have always loved the finish quality....built to last is what i always thought...a lil bit heavier that others but i always thought you get your moneys worth with AW. Other companies have caught up i think and have more wing on the aerobatic models which makes better flying.I think AW better pay close attention to the market and whats out there or they will be left behind.
ponyboy082662 is online now Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
Old 10-04-2013, 10:40 AM
Find More Posts by 401HITMAN
I like Mountain Dew!!
Elkhart Lake WI USA
Joined Jul 2007
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyC View Post
I'm not defending or getting into the AW comments here at all, but what I will say is... and this goes for ANY airplane, unless you have witnessed every single flight of that airplane the above observation is pointless.

I HAVE witnessed guys doing 100 mph inverted hurricanes pushing full down elevator into an awesome upward spiraling poptopish type thing, and repeat this 7 times in a flight and land. Later that day they are doing a 20 mph KE pass and the wing snaps in half and everyone says "Dude the wing exploded for no reason in a 20 MPH KE!!"

Yea, the other 300 abusive flights did nothing to that airframe, it was that 20 mph KE.

The OP's wing came off on the maiden.
401HITMAN is offline Find More Posts by 401HITMAN
Old 10-04-2013, 10:42 AM
Joined Apr 2010
2,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 401HITMAN View Post
The OP's wing came off on the maiden.
His disclaimer was the part where he said Im not getting involved in AW wing breaking discussion.
Very legal like in his comments.Cant flame him.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:43 AM
Joined Apr 2010
2,477 Posts
I betcha no one from AW will post on this thread before it fades away like the other ones.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:44 AM
Joined Jan 2009
270 Posts
Quote:

Hello Sleepy. Your point is well taken. I had a 50cc Aeroworks Extra with over 35 gallons of fuel run through it. That plane was rock solid until the day I flat-spun it into the ground. This was a maiden flight...
Old 10-04-2013, 10:50 AM
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts
Here's my last post here.
I think as a hobby population we put a little too much trust in ALL ARF manufacturers.

I agree when you pay for something you should get what you pay for, but on the other hand as a responsible consumer when I get a new item I go over every single square inch of it. I have never owned an ARF that did not need additional glue added by me to make my gut feel "OK" about putting it into the air. And this includes 3DHS, EF, AW, OMP, H9, GP... just to name a few.

If you as a modeler just slap together a plane and don't go over every single potential problem personally I do this some of the fault and responsibility of the problem rests on your shoulders.

And FWIW, one of my checklists I do when ever I assemble an airplane is tug on every anti rotation pin on the entire airframe. One of those suckers wiggles loose and it's usually game over.

At top gun, a HUGE $10K 'just for the airframe' jet went in because the dude lost a anti rotation pin in his stab, but in his case he said "I didn't know they needed to be glued in, they were tight from the factory". The dude lost around $25K all because he didn't check a item that should be on every pilots check list.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:53 AM
Joined Jan 2009
270 Posts
Quote:
Here's my last post here.
I think as a hobby population we put a little too much trust in ALL ARF manufacturers.

I agree when you pay for something you should get what you pay for, but on the other hand as a responsible consumer when I get a new item I go over every single square inch of it. I have never owned an ARF that did not need additional glue added by me to make my gut feel "OK" about putting it into the air. And this includes 3DHS, EF, AW, OMP, H9, GP... just to name a few.

If you as a modeler just slap together a plane and don't go over every single potential problem personally I do this some of the fault and responsibility of the problem rests on your shoulders.

And FWIW, one of my checklists I do when ever I assemble an airplane is tug on every anti rotation pin on the entire airframe. One of those suckers wiggles loose and it's usually game over.

At top gun, a HUGE $10K 'just for the airframe' jet went in because the dude lost a anti rotation pin in his stab, but in his case he said "I didn't know they needed to be glued in, they were tight from the factory". The dude lost around $25K all because he didn;t check a item that should be on every pilots check list.
I bet you get some funny looks at the car dealership when you crawl underneath to make sure the tie-rod is properly installed...
Old 10-04-2013, 10:59 AM
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts
Quote:
I bet you get some funny looks at the car dealership when you crawl underneath to make sure the tie-rod is properly installed...
Believe it or not I do what I can. I do check that the oil is full, that the tranny fluid is full and anything other stupid thing a $8 an hour prep guy could forget is done.

I'm not a rich guy (at all) what i buy needs to last!

Quick Reply