logo
Old 05-28-2015, 10:10 PM
Find More Posts by Corry
United States, FL, Panama City
Joined Jan 2012
96 Posts
Discussion
need longer axles

I'm flying a Hangar 9 with a thick carbon fiber landing gear. Does anyone know of a company that produces long steel axles ( 3 inches for example ) with longer threaded sections than Dubro offers.. I see that Dubro has long axles but the threaded portion is too short to go through the gear with enough left to screw the nut on. Thanks for your help.
Corry is offline Find More Posts by Corry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-29-2015, 10:38 AM
Find More Posts by littlecrankshaft
Joined Dec 2007
2,457 Posts
Seen your post going down...Axles sometimes can be a problem getting the right dimensions. If you have no luck finding "store bought" maybe you know someone with a lathe that can help you out. I sometimes build custom axles for me and my friends... just a thought. Good luck. hopefully someone will chime in with a source...
littlecrankshaft is offline Find More Posts by littlecrankshaft
Old 05-29-2015, 11:44 AM
Find More Posts by angelob
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Mar 2009
133 Posts
How about a long shouldered bolt? The smooth shoulder part functions as the axle and the threaded part goes through the gear and use a lock nut on the other side? I seen this setup on an EMHW ultimate I was building.
angelob is offline Find More Posts by angelob
Old 05-29-2015, 01:36 PM
Find More Posts by Phil Griffin
Sponsored by my wife & girls
United States, AL, Mountain Brook
Joined Jun 2008
10,276 Posts
Here's a thread I made, about making my own axles. It may or may not be of interest to you, but it works well and is easy to do.

https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...ferrerid=30148
Phil Griffin is offline Find More Posts by Phil Griffin
Old 05-29-2015, 01:42 PM
Find More Posts by Carruthers43
United States, MD, Waldorf
Joined Aug 2010
1,552 Posts
I second the shoulder bolt... I refused to buy the $50 white rose axels so I use 1/4-20 shoulder bolts and you can get them in any length, they are super strong... And they are CHEAP!
Carruthers43 is offline Find More Posts by Carruthers43
Old 05-29-2015, 02:03 PM
Joined Jun 2008
10,276 Posts
I like the shoulder bolt idea..
Old 05-29-2015, 05:13 PM
Find More Posts by Hammerman
DA isn't Haulin it? It Drags
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2006
2,620 Posts
What I do is drill and tap the gear leg on the thick carbon gear. I know it isn't much help if you have drilled the leg for the axle but will help in the future.
Hammerman is offline Find More Posts by Hammerman
Old 05-29-2015, 09:26 PM
Find More Posts by Vern Smith
whiteroseeng.com
Naples Florida
Joined Aug 2006
319 Posts
Phil's shoulder bolt method is certainly very effective but I would estimate the time investment to make them, without any consideration for the cost of the materials and sourcing them, is over two hours a pair. I realize our products are not cheap but they are light (titanium) include "C" clips rather than less reliable wheel collars, and are tapped in the end so the wheel pant can be secured from both sides. Whatever Phil does for a living it probably earns him more then $25.00 per hour so from that stand point our axles are a bargain
Vern Smith is offline Find More Posts by Vern Smith
Old 05-29-2015, 10:16 PM
Joined Jun 2008
10,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern Smith View Post
Phil's shoulder bolt method is certainly very effective but I would estimate the time investment to make them, without any consideration for the cost of the materials and sourcing them, is over two hours a pair. I realize our products are not cheap but they are light (titanium) include "C" clips rather than less reliable wheel collars, and are tapped in the end so the wheel pant can be secured from both sides. Whatever Phil does for a living it probably earns him more then $25.00 per hour so from that stand point our axles are a bargain
That shoulder bolt idea was actually someone else's. I posted the link to the thread showing how I made my own from a different type bolt. You're right, it does take a little time, but the real reason I made mine was because at the time, I was not able to get them from EF, and their axles are different than most others, meaning I couldn't use what are commonly available. It really would have been far easier to just buy them from EF had they been available.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:20 PM
Joined Jun 2008
10,276 Posts
Hey Vern. I didn't realize yours were of such design to enable them to be secured from the opposite end. Can you post a picture? I'm currently assembling a buddy's 91 Extra, and this is what I typically do to maximize wheel pant sturdiness.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:24 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern Smith View Post
Vern, I've only ordered from you once and the product I bought might seem expensive. Then I consider that I was having them custom machined before at a much higher price. My only complaint was shipping costs which seemed very high for something that could be put in a small padded bag and shipped by mail for much less than what your web site tacks on. I'll order again but would probably order more often with reduced shipping costs on small items.
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 05-30-2015, 09:56 AM
Find More Posts by Bill Vargas
JR DA 215 Flyer
United States, CA, Apple Valley
Joined Mar 2011
3,829 Posts
Here's a couple of pics of my White Rose setup, with brakes on my BH 50% YAK. Plenty of thread protrusion on the back side and with a couple of drops of some blue loctite, it ain t going anywhere. Also as a secondary, there's a 6-32 bolt with a washer,,, just incase the clip pops off, for whatever reason. To insure that doesn t happen, have a few extras on hand to change out like once or twice a year. A good time to do that would be when you perform your annual Fuel Tank refurb.

On a side note,,, if your holes in the landing gear are too big for the White Rose axles, ask Vern to cut you some spacers. Then glue those in with some 30min epoxy as you assemble the axles onto the landing gear with washers under the nut and the axle. Don t worry if you get some epoxy on the axle threads, you just won t have to use the blue loctite,,,

Once you go White Rose its a done deal
Bill Vargas is offline Find More Posts by Bill Vargas
Old 05-30-2015, 05:36 PM
Find More Posts by orthobird
I used to hammer at 1500 feet
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Apr 2012
9,044 Posts
These are my white rose wheels on my Dalton. The titanium axles are tapped for 6-32 screws. I place a hardwood block on the inside of the wheel pants, where it keys into, then from the outside, this screw goes thru the wheelpant, hardwood block, then into the axle. If the c-clips were to come off, as long as the screw is still there, then you will not lose your wheel.
orthobird is offline Find More Posts by orthobird
Old 05-31-2015, 09:33 PM
whiteroseeng.com
Naples Florida
Joined Aug 2006
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckracer View Post
Vern, I've only ordered from you once and the product I bought might seem expensive. Then I consider that I was having them custom machined before at a much higher price. My only complaint was shipping costs which seemed very high for something that could be put in a small padded bag and shipped by mail for much less than what your web site tacks on. I'll order again but would probably order more often with reduced shipping costs on small items.
Do you race full sized trucks or the RC types?
Old 05-31-2015, 09:38 PM
whiteroseeng.com
Naples Florida
Joined Aug 2006
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Vargas View Post
Plenty of thread protrusion on the back side and with a couple of drops of some blue loctite, it ain t going anywhere. Also as a secondary, there's a 6-32 bolt with a washer,,, just incase the clip pops off, for whatever reason. To insure that doesn t happen, have a few extras on hand to change out like once or twice a year. A good time to do that would be when you perform your annual Fuel Tank refurb.

Once you go White Rose its a done deal
We supply the axles with nylon insert lock nuts (stainless) to keep them from coming off but Locktite 242 is never a bad idea when a two cycle engine is involved.

Quick Reply