logo
Old 12-01-2010, 05:25 AM
Find More Posts by pldaniels
Charters Towers, Australia
Joined Dec 2010
38 Posts
PLD Modular power distribution board with failsafes and electronic switchjack

Hi everyone,

Straight up, this is my first post here, though I've been over at RCGroups for the last several years and have been manufacturing R/C electronic designs based on community demands for quite some time now.

Not too sure how to go about starting this thread, I am mostly a participant of hand-launch glider electronics and smaller planes rather than "large" beasts (alas I just do not have the room in my workshop for things of this size... yet). None the less, I've been coaxed by RCG members into producing a power distribution board for managing larger scale planes and their servo needs and thought it would be good to share with others.

While many of you already will be using UBECs and such I thought that I'd drop a note/thread here to let you all know of the new product in case anyone was interested as we're going into production shortly (boards are already at the factory);

Summary points;

* Dual supply input with automatic balancing/failover
* Accepts 6~12V inputs safely
* 10A constant supply, 25A peaks, 100A absolute max for very short bursts/transients
* Remote electronic switch
* Failsafe switch (if leads break open or disconnects the system remains on by default
* Dual high performance, low resistance (2.0mR) MOSFETs for failsafe and minimal power loss
* Extensive decoupling of power to minimise ripples
* 3 sets of 3 servo gangs + 3 sets of 4 servo gangs
* 1 set of 4 power outlets for aux items
* 3.5 x 2.49" size
* Channel-connected LED indicator for each gang
* Optional servo signal buffer/isolator for each channel
* Power-Good indicators for input batteries and output
* Remote LED headers for each Power-Good indicator for external mounting

That's just for the 'mainboard'. The board has also been designed to accept a daughter-board which will provide additional facilities as the needs come up. Initially it is planned to offer a linear regulator board (6~10A rated for servos + separate output for receiver), and additionally a switch-mode UBEC board as well.

Attached is a partial PCB layout - when the new boards arrive actual photos of them will be posted up.

The design has been pushed towards durability and simplicity where possible in order to minimise failure points.

( If I should be posting this thread in another section, please don't hesitate to direct me to the right location - last thing I need to do is make a scene in this place like a drunken lout at 3am crashing through empty trash-cans )

Regards,
Paul.
pldaniels is offline Find More Posts by pldaniels
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-01-2010, 09:29 AM
Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
United States, MD, Parkton
Joined Jun 2008
1,508 Posts
Re: PLD Modular power distribution board with failsafes and electronic switchjack

Hey Paul, It's always good to have more choices I guess but there are already two other systems on the market simular to the one you have discribed. I guess those interested in your new product would want to know what advantages, if any, it offers over the other systems. Features, price, quality, etc..
Flybye Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
Old 12-05-2010, 03:34 AM
Joined Dec 2010
38 Posts
Re: PLD Modular power distribution board with failsafes and electronic switchjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybye Steve View Post
I guess those interested in your new product would want to know what advantages, if any, it offers over the other systems. Features, price, quality, etc..
I agree - I guess we'll come to those when the product gets into the hands of those requesting it and see how it compares.

Of course, at the same time, so long as it matches the existing products then it's a good start and sometimes locality (Australia) can be a positive.

The biggest upside I see with this design is the daughter-board capability, being able to bring out future expansion and/or multiple different power options depending on needs.

Certainly this could well turn out to be a hefty flop for me but it wouldn't be the first time and likely won't be the last. One thing I've found is that the market almost never reacts how you anticipated

Paul.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:29 PM
Joined Dec 2010
38 Posts

The circuit boards have arrived in Australia... but still a couple of days away from getting into my hands (one of the downsides of living in rural/outback Aussie land - you see your packages fly overhead but they have to come here by road).

Hoping that Monday~Wednesday we'll see our first real edition.

Paul
Old 12-10-2010, 03:11 AM
Joined Dec 2010
38 Posts

Photos of the first partial build. At this point I'm commencing a lot of checking, validating that the board has been done properly.

Although I'm hand-soldering the parts on this one, the production units will be pasted-and-reflowed, as it's especially important to ensure one gets a good bond under the large schottky diodes and MOSFETs to ensure they cope with the 10A rating without localised heating.

Paul.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:18 PM
Joined Dec 2010
38 Posts

Finished installing the pin-headers last night at midnight. They're a little bit disorganised as I tried a different method for setting them up (you'll notice I've run the strips across the width and simple removed every 4th pin.

Either way, it's a slow soldering job and unfortunately I don't think I can do these in the reflow oven (at least not yet ).

Paul.

Quick Reply