Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > Gas Engines
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 05-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #31
reyn3545
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

I decided on the Pilot Yak because it had more wing area than anything else in its class... this thing comes in at just over 32 pounds, and I had to put 7 ounces of lead shot in the tail tube, and the rudder servo in the tail. This engine weights about 10 pounds, but it makes about 9 HP.. and the 4-stoke radials sound so nice... I just had to get one and put it in something.
reyn3545 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #32
MaceH
DA rocks

Quote: Originally Posted by reyn3545
View Post
I decided on the Pilot Yak because it had more wing area than anything else in its class... this thing comes in at just over 32 pounds, and I had to put 7 ounces of lead shot in the tail tube, and the rudder servo in the tail. This engine weights about 10 pounds, but it makes about 9 HP.. and the 4-stoke radials sound so nice... I just had to get one and put it in something.
Yep, more cylinders the better. I have a 3cyl Saito in a Wilga and there's like NO vibration, amazing. Radials just rock and wish there were two stroke gas radials out there- a three cylinder 60cc 2stroke would be amazing for a round cowler.

Really cool too is that the bigger round cowls are coming with vents opened up- hope that is a trend that finds its way to the smaller planes.
MaceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #33
reyn3545
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

I had an old Waco one time that I put a Saito 450 3-cylinder in.. way too much power for an old timer plane like that.. but it was fun to fly.

The problem with these Moki's is that the rockers are exposed, and need to be oiled before the day's flying... you can spray silicon lube in there and it will do the job, but then the inside of the cowl eventually gets all gummed up. I may split the cowl so I can get it on and off quickly without taking the prop off. We'll see.
reyn3545 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:37 PM   #34
MaceH
DA rocks

There are some nifty greases out there- Kluber comes to mind- that stuff STICKS like crazy. Could be an every-50-hour thing if the rockers did not fling it.
MaceH is offline   Reply With Quote