BAS
Find More Posts by BAS
BAS
ALTOONA , IOWA
Joined Jan 2006
891 Posts
Discussion
Hempel 25% Clipped Cub / C/H Igbun Saito 220 4 stroke Gas

Wasnt sure which forum to place this info in so i thought since my Hempel 25% clipped cub is using a Saito 220 glow converted to gas with C/H Ign and Zamba carb i would post some test results for all interested to check out. I put the cub together this winter and originally installed a 220 glow 4 stroke . I had problems with the glow running correctly because of fuel tank placement and ect so i decided after talking to Adrian the owner of the C/H Ign. to set up a gas conversion using a Zamba carb and manifold along with his CDI of course and give it a try. Adrian was kind enough to supply the carb , manifold after i purchased the Ign. and was interested in seeing how it performed on the 13 lb cub. The plane now has around 40 or so flights on it running Royal Purple and premium gas 91 octane mixing 20:1 ratio. I started out using a 20/6 Zoar wood prop and after taching it around 7200 rpms thought that was a little on the low side for rpm i would give it a shot. I flew on this prop for 10 flights fairly happy with performance but it lacks somewhat on vertical and i am looking to get some more RPMs . I tried a Zoar 19/7 taching at 7500 and flight performance was somewhat improved but i still would like more rpm so tried a Master Airscrew plastic 18/6 today. I got the rpm i wanted 8,400 but flight performance was way to slow. Aside finding the right prop i would like to thank Adrian for helping me out on this adventure and i feel once i get the right prop the plane will be awesome. The motor after initial starting with a electric starter will start on one or two flips by hand and idles around 1500 rpm great and no vibration at all .The motor uses very little fuel and i have a 12 0z tank mounted. After a ten minute flight at 3/4 and full throttle with 5 or six tounch and goes i have only used about 1/3 of the tank. No messy glow fuel to clean up is nice also . So far i am very pleased to say thr 20 fle motor runs great with no burps or deadsticks and is very smooth. I cant believe the difference the CDI makes .On glow this motor would shake like heck but on CDI it is very smooth. I am using the Cheap Chinese 1/4-32 plugs and didnt change the gap setting. I checked the valves ten flghts and they havent needed adjusting yet. Hats off to Adrian give him a call or email to discuss the cost to covert to gas and it will surprise you on the cost it is less than one might think. Any suggestions on Prop size i will would like to hear . I am going to try maybe a Vess 20/A or 18 /8 or 19 /6 next just have to find the right combo. Thanks Bruce
BAS is offline Find More Posts by BAS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-07-2013, 08:58 PM
Find More Posts by toc pilot
Tucson, Az.
Joined Jan 2006
2,067 Posts
More reports about the Cub..... lol
toc pilot is offline Find More Posts by toc pilot
Old 07-08-2013, 02:58 AM
BAS
Find More Posts by BAS
BAS
ALTOONA , IOWA
Joined Jan 2006
891 Posts
By the way TOC i am very happy about how the cub performs . I couldnt ask for a better flying cub .
Old 07-08-2013, 03:00 AM
BAS
Find More Posts by BAS
BAS
ALTOONA , IOWA
Joined Jan 2006
891 Posts
I used a xoar 19/6 this past weekend and it is a perfect match for the Saito .
Old 07-10-2013, 11:09 AM
Find More Posts by Texastbird
United States, TX, La Porte
Joined Oct 2008
1,343 Posts
Sounds (pun intended) like a great combo. Was this a new engine, or is it broken in? Any more details you would care to disclose on your conversion would be interesting, since I have a 180 that I don't fly much due to the glow fuel mess, etc.
Texastbird is offline Find More Posts by Texastbird
Old 07-10-2013, 12:22 PM
BAS
Find More Posts by BAS
BAS
ALTOONA , IOWA
Joined Jan 2006
891 Posts
Yes this was a new in the box Saito 220 glow version . When talkng to Adrian a C/H ign this spring he mentioned he could put a CDI ign on the motor which would save about 30 % in fuel consumption and smooth out the running of the motor. However after he installed the CDI i decided after looking at his website he was making a gas conversion using a Zamba gas carb and manifold to fit the Saito motors which fits right in place of the removed carb and manifold. I decided i was interested in this and he advised he would send me the conversion to test for him and he wanted me to fly the plane for a extended time for testing to see how it held up. I have around 60 flights on it now and i run Royal Purple syth oil mixed at 20/1ratio which is 6.4 ozs of oil to 1 gallon of gas. I finally went thru a gallon of gas and mixed up another batch . So far the motor is running flawless and the thing i like is the no messy glow fuel all over the bottom of plane and of course the less cost .Power is not like a glow version and i would say it is equal to about a 15% power reduction. As stated before i am running a Xoar 19/6 prop and it turns around 7500 rpm on the ground. The added benifits of the gas is worth the power loss. The motor after the 1st start of the day with a electric starter will start with 1 or 2 easy flips of the prop and it doesnt kick back like a 4 stroke on glow and no CDI. It idles around 1600 all day long with no vibration. I have a 12 oz tank installed and i can fly for around 15 minutes with full or half throttle and still have fuel left in the tank. You do have to have ample cooling area around the front of the motor because it runs a little hotter than glow. If your interested contact C/H ign at phone 478 247 7275 or 561 927 6171 and talk to Adrian . His business is in Florida now and he had a ascent so it is a little hard to understand but he is nice guy and he price is cheap for gas conversion. You can also check his website out for the info. Buy the way what plane are you running your motor on ?? let me know Bruce
Old 07-10-2013, 10:43 PM
Find More Posts by bcchi
Riverton Wy 82501
Joined Mar 2007
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAS View Post
Yes this was a new in the box Saito 220 glow version . When talkng to Adrian a C/H ign this spring he mentioned he could put a CDI ign on the motor which would save about 30 % in fuel consumption and smooth out the running of the motor. However after he installed the CDI i decided after looking at his website he was making a gas conversion using a Zamba gas carb and manifold to fit the Saito motors which fits right in place of the removed carb and manifold. I decided i was interested in this and he advised he would send me the conversion to test for him and he wanted me to fly the plane for a extended time for testing to see how it held up. I have around 60 flights on it now and i run Royal Purple syth oil mixed at 20/1ratio which is 6.4 ozs of oil to 1 gallon of gas. I finally went thru a gallon of gas and mixed up another batch . So far the motor is running flawless and the thing i like is the no messy glow fuel all over the bottom of plane and of course the less cost .Power is not like a glow version and i would say it is equal to about a 15% power reduction. As stated before i am running a Xoar 19/6 prop and it turns around 7500 rpm on the ground. The added benifits of the gas is worth the power loss. The motor after the 1st start of the day with a electric starter will start with 1 or 2 easy flips of the prop and it doesnt kick back like a 4 stroke on glow and no CDI. It idles around 1600 all day long with no vibration. I have a 12 oz tank installed and i can fly for around 15 minutes with full or half throttle and still have fuel left in the tank. You do have to have ample cooling area around the front of the motor because it runs a little hotter than glow. If your interested contact C/H ign at phone 478 247 7275 or 561 927 6171 and talk to Adrian . His business is in Florida now and he had a ascent so it is a little hard to understand but he is nice guy and he price is cheap for gas conversion. You can also check his website out for the info. Buy the way what plane are you running your motor on ?? let me know Bruce
If you do not like his English speak to him in Russian German or Romainian.No his English is very good.Some times when he gets excited he talks to fast and with my hard hearing I have to slow him down. Great guy.I Happy to see him use C&H name.
BCCHI
bcchi is offline Find More Posts by bcchi
Old 07-11-2013, 09:16 AM
Joined Oct 2008
1,343 Posts
I have a Saito 1.80 in a Great Planes Ryan STA. It has way too much power for the plane, but it needs that much nose weight to balance. This may be my winter project to convert this engine to gas power. I like tinkering around with glow and gas engines anyway.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:25 AM
BAS
Find More Posts by BAS
BAS
ALTOONA , IOWA
Joined Jan 2006
891 Posts
That sounds like a winner combo converting the 180 to gas. It would for sure be worth thinking about .
Old 07-12-2013, 07:48 AM
Joined Oct 2008
1,343 Posts
Yeah, I have been doing a lot of thinking about it, also a BGX3500 that my buddy gave up on several years ago.

Quick Reply