logo
Old 08-24-2007, 05:55 PM
Find More Posts by Cracky
WHATS CRACKALAKIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wentzville, MO
Joined Jan 2006
9,312 Posts
Re: H9 35% 260....its cheating to call it a build thread!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesar781 View Post
hei I think maybe you guys can help me with my extra 300 .
I got extra 300 1.60 with 40cc engine with 20x8 prop and the airplane come in too fast .I change the prop to 20x8 bolly but stell fast, I don't know what to do
Could you guys help me?
One thing that I am going to do is make sure I have my engine tuned for a nice low idle. I think this was also a contributing factor.
Cracky is offline Find More Posts by Cracky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-24-2007, 07:15 PM
Find More Posts by 1bwana1
La Jolla, CA USA
Joined Oct 2006
2,715 Posts

Cracky,
That is one of the issues I had with that prop. I could never get a nice low idle that was reliable. I think the prop is so light you don't get a good "fly wheel" effect from it. Maybe it was my motor, it was a brand new DA-100. Once I switched to the bigger, wider, heavier prop, the idle was slow and solid as a rock.

Despite what Nick (Bodyworks) says, the new prop really slowed the plane in down lines, and smoothed out the power curve. Probably due in part to the larger diameter and part to the lower idle I could use. Hey Nick, thanks for helping me fix the gear that I broke using the NX 27 X 10. Never had a problem after I switched. I know you can fly any prop but you are an incredible stick. I was just learning back then.
1bwana1 is offline Find More Posts by 1bwana1
Old 08-24-2007, 08:11 PM
Find More Posts by aviti
St Louis, MO
Joined Jan 2006
1,468 Posts

Cracky - I think you are right about the combo you have. I have 2 35% planes with DA 100's and 27x10 Menz props. I have to make my approaches lower and slower than guys flying 40%ers. I see guys almost diving a 40% on final approach and then still slowing up quickly to land. It's not a problem really, just something different than you are used to. Of course let us know if another prop works out better. Glad you only had minor damage...sounds like you'll enjoy the new plane!
aviti is offline Find More Posts by aviti
Old 08-24-2007, 09:19 PM
Find More Posts by bodywerks
Tucson
Joined Jan 2006
5,341 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesar781 View Post
hei I think maybe you guys can help me with my extra 300 .
I got extra 300 1.60 with 40cc engine with 20x8 prop and the airplane come in too fast .I change the prop to 20x8 bolly but stell fast, I don't know what to do
Could you guys help me?
What's the wing area and what's the weight? Too high a wingloading is about the only thing that will make an aerobatic plane come in too fast. Anything else is just an issue with your technique.
bodywerks is offline Find More Posts by bodywerks
Old 08-24-2007, 09:23 PM
Tucson
Joined Jan 2006
5,341 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bwana1 View Post
Cracky,
That is one of the issues I had with that prop. I could never get a nice low idle that was reliable. I think the prop is so light you don't get a good "fly wheel" effect from it. Maybe it was my motor, it was a brand new DA-100. Once I switched to the bigger, wider, heavier prop, the idle was slow and solid as a rock.

Despite what Nick (Bodyworks) says, the new prop really slowed the plane in down lines, and smoothed out the power curve. Probably due in part to the larger diameter and part to the lower idle I could use. Hey Nick, thanks for helping me fix the gear that I broke using the NX 27 X 10. Never had a problem after I switched. I know you can fly any prop but you are an incredible stick. I was just learning back then.
Oh, don't get me wrong, going to that prop was a good choice and may have helped the plane slow down easier, but if the engine is idling low enough, the prop shouldn't be the "make or break" deal on slowing down for landing.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:57 PM
Find More Posts by 1bwana1
La Jolla, CA USA
Joined Oct 2006
2,715 Posts

Nick,
You are correct. I flew the plane for 6 months on the NX prop and developed a reliable technique for landing that worked with the higher idle I had to use with it. Once I switched props, landings became super easy. I do think it was mostly the lower idle speed that helped slow the plane down.
1bwana1 is offline Find More Posts by 1bwana1
Old 08-24-2007, 10:48 PM
Find More Posts by T. Bob
Major League Deadbeat
Munster Indiana
Joined Jan 2006
2,391 Posts

To me it seems Extras always take a little more time to slow down. (to clean)
Dave your 40% Extra is just so ****ing big it slowed down quick but at 27 lbs it's gonna take a little more time.
The prop is also a big factor my Carden Edge at 40 lbs + was a bitch to land until I put on a 32 X 10.
Hell a Yak or a Cap to can land at 1/4 power.
T. Bob is offline Find More Posts by T. Bob
Old 08-24-2007, 10:54 PM
Find More Posts by cesar781
Brazil, São Paulo, Palmeira d'Oeste
Joined Mar 2007
365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfick View Post
One thing that I am going to do is make sure I have my engine tuned for a nice low idle. I think this was also a contributing factor.
Wingspan: 74" Wing Area: 1048 sq in
Weight: 13 lb
engine : spe 40cc
cesar781 is offline Find More Posts by cesar781
Old 08-24-2007, 11:19 PM
Find More Posts by Cracky
WHATS CRACKALAKIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wentzville, MO
Joined Jan 2006
9,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviti View Post
I see guys almost diving a 40% on final approach and then still slowing up quickly to land. It's not a problem really, just something different than you are used to.
My JTEC is just about the easiest plane to land as long as I can flatten it out a little before I get to the field. Mejzlik 32x10 on the nose and at 40+ lbs.

I agree that I just have to learn how to land this airplane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodywerks View Post
What's the wing area and what's the weight? Too high a wingloading is about the only thing that will make an aerobatic plane come in too fast. Anything else is just an issue with your technique.
Haven't weighed it (SHOULD be mid 27's), I know that its my technique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Bob View Post
my Carden Edge at 40 lbs + was a bitch to land until I put on a 32 X 10.
You've flown your 40% Edge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodywerks View Post
the engine is idling low enough,
I think that my idle might have been a bit higher than required. I would rather fight a high idle and use my FO Kill to kill the engine than to have a deadstick at a new field with a new plane that I am unfamiliar with.

I'm pulling the gear off this weekend and taking it to work and putting it in a vice and seeing if I can straighten it out. It should be just fine until I can get a replacement gear and pants.
Cracky is offline Find More Posts by Cracky
Old 08-24-2007, 11:30 PM
Find More Posts by Bat Fastard
Manakin-Sabot Va
Joined Apr 2006
645 Posts

Quote:
To me it seems Extras always take a little more time to slow down. (to clean)
Dave your 40% Extra is just so ****ing big it slowed down quick but at 27 lbs it's gonna take a little more time.
The prop is also a big factor my Carden Edge at 40 lbs + was a bitch to land until I put on a 32 X 10.
Hell a Yak or a Cap to can land at 1/4 power.
I have a 41# plus carden extra with a Mejzlik 30-12 and know exactly what you mean by the clean lines of an Extra. I have to crab the plane in by giving a bunch of rudder and cross controlling the ailerons to bleed enough speed off to get it to stop by the time it gets to the end of the runway. I always thought it was because the plane was so heavy it had a lot of inertia......oh well, it is fun to do though.
Bat Fastard is offline Find More Posts by Bat Fastard
Old 08-24-2007, 11:32 PM
Find More Posts by T. Bob
Major League Deadbeat
Munster Indiana
Joined Jan 2006
2,391 Posts

Quote:
You're an ass.
T. Bob is offline Find More Posts by T. Bob
Old 08-24-2007, 11:53 PM
Find More Posts by Bat Fastard
Manakin-Sabot Va
Joined Apr 2006
645 Posts

Quote:
You're an ass.

ROTFLMAO!
Bat Fastard is offline Find More Posts by Bat Fastard
Old 08-25-2007, 01:35 AM
Find More Posts by dubd
Turbine Hucker
Silicon Valley
Joined May 2007
1,609 Posts

I find that planes like the AW Yak and possibly this 260 need to come in slightly nose up to slow them down. I had this problem with my SD Model Yak when I first got into giant scale. All of my planes now come in slow with me "blipping" the power to maintain descent. I even land the notoriously floaty SuperXtra like this.
dubd is offline Find More Posts by dubd
Last edited by dubd; 08-25-2007 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:00 AM
Tucson
Joined Jan 2006
5,341 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfick View Post
My JTEC is just about the easiest plane to land as long as I can flatten it out a little before I get to the field. Mejzlik 32x10 on the nose and at 40+ lbs.

I agree that I just have to learn how to land this airplane.

Haven't weighed it (SHOULD be mid 27's), I know that its my technique.

I think that my idle might have been a bit higher than required. I would rather fight a high idle and use my FO Kill to kill the engine than to have a deadstick at a new field with a new plane that I am unfamiliar with.

I'm pulling the gear off this weekend and taking it to work and putting it in a vice and seeing if I can straighten it out. It should be just fine until I can get a replacement gear and pants.
sorry bout that, i was answering someone elses question. yours was likely first flight jitters - understandable.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:04 AM
Tucson
Joined Jan 2006
5,341 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubd View Post
I find that planes like the AW Yak and possibly this 260 need to come in slightly nose up to slow them down. I had this problem with my SD Model Yak when I first got into giant scale. All of my planes now come in slow with me "blipping" the power to maintain descent. I even land notoriously floaty SuperXtra like this.
exactly. I don't do the "red on white" standard category descent when I land. I come in at 2 feet off the deck for the last couple hundred feet, at a positive aoa, maintaining altitude with throttle. Then, as soon as I am about to cross the rend of the runway, I drop it in and roll it out...

Quick Reply