logo
Old 05-25-2012, 10:21 PM
Find More Posts by westwind1124
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Sep 2010
89 Posts
Discussion
Fiberglassed Corsair

I am completing my Top Flite Giant Corsair and I fiberglassed it. I have a few imperfections that need fixed. It has been primed and as such showed a few more blemishes than I though there would be. What is a good medium to repair these. I have heard bondo but a few people said that my delaminate under the vibrations. I also thought that epoxy and microballoons might be an option. Not sure what to use because some of these spots are VERY thin and not like deep dents. They are just some spots were didn't get things sanded quite smooth and such. I used West Systems epoxy for the glassing by the way.

Thanks
Brent Edwards
westwind1124 is offline Find More Posts by westwind1124
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-25-2012, 10:29 PM
Find More Posts by RollingHarrier
RC 'Aholic!
United States, CT, Westbrook
Joined Jan 2006
2,175 Posts
Hey Brent,
It might help if you can post some pics. If the area in question is small and not too deep you can use Spot putty (Red Lead) but if its a large spot that needs to be filled like an eighth of and inch then I'd cut it out, shape it with a new piece of wood and then fiberglass it again.
really hard to say without seeing it.
Jim
RollingHarrier is offline Find More Posts by RollingHarrier
Old 05-25-2012, 10:40 PM
Find More Posts by Vital-Rc
Free Agent
United States, KY, Glasgow
Joined Oct 2010
1,411 Posts
Vital-Rc is offline Find More Posts by Vital-Rc
Old 05-25-2012, 11:14 PM
Find More Posts by wylieruneyjr
RUTNBUC
United States, SC, McClellanville
Joined Sep 2008
2,747 Posts
I'd just fly it. Its got character. You know its yours. No two alike, right. Old warbirds should have dents scraps , missing parts and bullet holes. RUTNBUC.

Another idea. sand the area as needed. Run a bead of cheap chaulking around the area to act as a dam. fill in the area with some West Systems. When cured scrap peel off the chaulking and sand, feather it back in.
wylieruneyjr is offline Find More Posts by wylieruneyjr
Old 05-26-2012, 03:39 AM
Find More Posts by Languid Virago
Chix fly too.
Joined Jul 2011
1,079 Posts
For years I have used automotive high build 2 part spray on primer, but rather than spraying it on, I mix up a little bit, don't add thinners and then paint it on with a brush. first coat is usually thin, but the longer you wait the thicker it gets as it slowly sets ( maybe 1 hour from mixed to sandable) Buy doing multiple coats it allows you to feather the filler build up gently over the side of the dent or wobble and deeper towards the center where it needs more filling.

it works just as well on metal or glass panels and if you are worried about flex on fiberglass, you can add a dab of plasticizer to it. Just make sure the area being filled has been sanded with a corse a grit paper as you think you can get away with. 180 minimum, 60 is ideal.

I can't recommend a product specifically, as I am in France.
Languid Virago is offline Find More Posts by Languid Virago
Last edited by Languid Virago; 05-26-2012 at 03:44 AM.

Quick Reply