logo
Old 10-15-2013, 04:19 PM
Find More Posts by RKEstes
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Jun 2013
221 Posts
For anyone running the Valley View RC 40cc twin on this airframe and wondering about how to close the large spinner gap with the stock engine standoffs, I received some custom standoffs today from www.customstandoffs.com. They are 3/8" long. I will report the results when I get them installed later this evening.
RKEstes is offline Find More Posts by RKEstes
Last edited by RKEstes; 10-15-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-15-2013, 05:44 PM
Find More Posts by 5150flyer
Avoiding Fake News
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Mar 2007
1,753 Posts
FYI...I just paid $135 in shipping for my 78" Extra and it is going ground on Saia LTL Freight. For that kind of money it better not arrive with a boot print on it.
5150flyer is offline Find More Posts by 5150flyer
Old 10-15-2013, 05:51 PM
Find More Posts by patroller
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Sep 2013
779 Posts
It's a pretty big box, so no surprise on the expensive shipping costs. Just remember, EF charges only what it actually costs, they don't add for "handling". Those of us on the other coast pay even more.
patroller is offline Find More Posts by patroller
Old 10-16-2013, 12:05 AM
Find More Posts by windshear
Joined Feb 2013
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150flyer View Post
FYI...I just paid $135 in shipping for my 78" Extra and it is going ground on Saia LTL Freight. For that kind of money it better not arrive with a boot print on it.
Yeah that's a though one to swallow. That is what has kept me from getting one. I really want to try that VVRC 40 twin.
windshear is offline Find More Posts by windshear
Old 10-16-2013, 12:08 AM
Find More Posts by windshear
Joined Feb 2013
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patroller View Post
It's a pretty big box, so no surprise on the expensive shipping costs. Just remember, EF charges only what it actually costs, they don't add for "handling". Those of us on the other coast pay even more.

For me it was quoted $149. That's 1/3 of the price of the plane. I understand it is the cost of shipping, but I can get a 100cc pilot for the same shipping cost. Maybe next year they can get a better deal with their shipping co.
windshear is offline Find More Posts by windshear
Last edited by windshear; 10-16-2013 at 12:21 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:08 AM
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Sep 2013
779 Posts
Where are most of you winding up with on your CG? I am getting ready to maiden my 78 with the VVRC 40 twin. I am a bit surprised that my CG is closer to the rear of the range given in the manual (5-1/2 to 6-1/4") With my twin rx batteries pushed as far forward as my cables can reach I still have my CG at about 6". I added 2 oz of weight to the firewall to bring it closer to 5-3/4". I could push my batteries further forward, but I want to see how it flies before moving stuff around. My guess is it will be fine.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:26 AM
Find More Posts by dcass351
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Jul 2011
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150flyer View Post
I got my OS gt33 to fit without having to open up the firewall. It will be close to the firewall, but not touch it. Great plane/engine combination, BTW. Try a Xoar 20x6 and after about 12 flights that engine will really come alive.
Thanks for the update. My OS gt33 is coming from an airframe that I am retiring after about 40 flights. I have been using a Vess 19A with this engine and it just yanks this 11.5 lb. airplane around the sky. I have been wondering about the Xoar 20X6 and will give one a try. Sure do like the gt33 just runs very strong without any trouble whatsoever.
dcass351 is offline Find More Posts by dcass351
Old 10-16-2013, 12:23 PM
Joined Jun 2013
221 Posts
Quote:
Where are most of you winding up with on your CG? I am getting ready to maiden my 78 with the VVRC 40 twin. I am a bit surprised that my CG is closer to the rear of the range given in the manual (5-1/2 to 6-1/4") With my twin rx batteries pushed as far forward as my cables can reach I still have my CG at about 6". I added 2 oz of weight to the firewall to bring it closer to 5-3/4". I could push my batteries further forward, but I want to see how it flies before moving stuff around. My guess is it will be fine.
Mine was in about the same location. It was noticeably tail heavy suspending from a piece of fishing line looped around the wing tube and the fuel tank empty. I am using 1300 mah Glacier RX batteries all the way forward on the top formers alongside the tank. I was a little intrepid but it was perfect for me from the first flight. Just slightly nose heavy requiring just a touch of down elevator on an inverted 45 degree upline. You can hear us talking about it in this otherwise unimpressive video!

Extreme Flight 78' Extra 300 with VVRC 40cc twin (7 min 40 sec)
Last edited by RKEstes; 10-16-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:31 PM
Find More Posts by dp2826
United States, IA, Sioux City
Joined Jul 2012
226 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKEstes View Post
Mine was in about the same location. It was noticeably tail heavy suspending from a piece of fishing line looped around the wing tube and the fuel tank empty. I am using 1300 mah Glacier RX batteries all the way forward. I was a little intrepid but it was perfect for me from the first flight. Just slightly nose heavy requiring just a touch of down elevator on an inverted 45 degree upline. You can hear us talking about it in this otherwise unimpressive video!
Same here. I think mine is still a tad nose heavy at the 6 to 6-1/4 range.
dp2826 is offline Find More Posts by dp2826
Old 10-16-2013, 07:34 PM
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Sep 2013
779 Posts
I got my first 4 flights in today. What a blast. Engine was gurgling a little on the rich side, but I sill had good throttle response. It wants to rip across the sky even at half throttle. I think I will change to a 21 x 8 Mej prop as soon as I have the VVRC 40 twin engine broke in a bit more.

Everyone was commenting on how smooth this engine is at idle. Lots of looks even from the 100cc extra guys.

I had about 2oz of weight on the firewall to get my CG right at the center of the wing tube. My inverted 45 says I am a touch nose heavy. I will be pulling the weight off for my next flight. Then I can slide my rx batteries back until it is perfect. I was going to put a truturn on the front to add weight, but I think I will cancel that plan for now. I did have to use the electric starter to get it started today, but hopefully it will get easier once it is run a few times.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:49 PM
Find More Posts by Tailslide
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2013
538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKEstes View Post
For anyone running the Valley View RC 40cc twin on this airframe and wondering about how to close the large spinner gap with the stock engine standoffs, I received some custom standoffs today from www.customstandoffs.com. They are 3/8" long. I will report the results when I get them installed later this evening.
RK,

How did the 3/8 standoffs work out ? What was your final spinner to cowl gap ? My dimension for firewall to front of cowl was same as yours at 5 and 3/4 inches.
Tailslide is offline Find More Posts by Tailslide
Old 10-21-2013, 04:36 PM
Joined Jun 2013
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailslide View Post
RK,

How did the 3/8 standoffs work out ? What was your final spinner to cowl gap ? My dimension for firewall to front of cowl was same as yours at 5 and 3/4 inches.
I got lazy and put new HV servos in my 60" MXS instead! LOL I will get on it this week and post some pics. Everything being equal it should be about 1/8". I have 12 flights on mine now and the engine's just getting stronger and stronger!
Old 10-21-2013, 05:17 PM
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Sep 2013
779 Posts
I just measured mine and I have 3/16" of clearance between the cowl and the backplate of the spinner on the right side. It is a little over 1/4" on the left side due to the thrust angle of the prop. I thought 1/8" looked a little close when I was fitting mine.

This is on a VVRC 40 CM-6 with 9/16" mounts. I moved the cowl as far forward as possible.

The mounts are SWB's. They are adjustable and come with a 1/2" standoff as well as 1/4", 1/8" and 1/16" machined washers that can be stacked. You could use just washers if you wanted to shorten it less than 1/2". They are beefy and plenty wide enough for this sized engine.
Last edited by patroller; 10-21-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:29 PM
Find More Posts by craig77
UK
Joined Jul 2006
837 Posts
that twin is super cool! its like having a mini 40%er lol
craig77 is offline Find More Posts by craig77
Old 10-24-2013, 05:32 AM
Find More Posts by bss_flyinggiants
Joined Mar 2009
168 Posts
Has anyone tried the 78" on A60-6xs on 6s? I have 6s packs and 6xs and want to use them on a good frame.
bss_flyinggiants is offline Find More Posts by bss_flyinggiants

Quick Reply