logo
Old 09-28-2008, 09:50 PM
Find More Posts by rede2fly
GRAVITY SUCKS
florida
Joined Jan 2006
4,821 Posts
kodiak switches what gives

iam using 2 koidak switches and when i turn 1 on the other shows on as well so i cant trust it to read correct is this common for these switches?? my wolverines dont do this w.t.f.
rede2fly is offline Find More Posts by rede2fly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-28-2008, 10:19 PM
Find More Posts by ATC666
Canada
Joined Apr 2006
62 Posts
Re: kodiak switches what gives

I caled Fromeco and asked them and they said that all you are doing is powering the blue led and the mah counter . It will not harm the switches to have them hooked up this way.
ATC666 is offline Find More Posts by ATC666
Old 09-28-2008, 10:57 PM
Find More Posts by Greyhoundman
GRRRR
Ofallon, MO
Joined Jan 2006
1,218 Posts

Do you have 2 Kodiacs, and 2 batteries going to 1 receiver? It does not surprise me to see the other Kodiac turn on because you are feeding the electronics on the (second) switch through the RX. However the RX is not getting power from the second battery, eventhough it looks like it is on since it is powered up, but the switch is still turned off. Just curious why you are using 2 Kodiacs? they are rated at 30 amps and one of them should be fine for any load in your plane.
Greyhoundman is offline Find More Posts by Greyhoundman
Old 09-29-2008, 04:58 AM
Find More Posts by RCAddiction
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Jan 2006
3,091 Posts

I am just finishing a plane with (2) Kodiak's and noticed the same phenomenon. I don't know the reason why the threadstarter used 2 however I know why I did so.

I wanted to individually monitor the mah consumption of each (of 2) receiver batteries.
RCAddiction is offline Find More Posts by RCAddiction
Old 10-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Find More Posts by GooseF22
Old Grey Beard Fighter Pilot
Ft Wayne, IN
Joined Jan 2007
572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddiction View Post
I am just finishing a plane with (2) Kodiak's and noticed the same phenomenon. I don't know the reason why the threadstarter used 2 however I know why I did so.

I wanted to individually monitor the mah consumption of each (of 2) receiver batteries.
It was designed not to have a reverse sensing diode in it, so as not to have a voltage drop. by product is that the electronics power up on the opposite switch. a one way diode causes issues at the power levels we are capable of handling. the counter will remain accurate even if its on being powered from other bus. thing to remember is to turn it on.... we agonized over this during testing....
GooseF22 is offline Find More Posts by GooseF22
Old 10-11-2008, 10:24 PM
Joined Jan 2006
3,091 Posts

Yup, definitely my initial concern was how to remind myself to turn it on. FWIW, I've added small P-touch labels above each switch to indicate the "on" position.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:11 AM
Find More Posts by rede2fly
GRAVITY SUCKS
florida
Joined Jan 2006
4,821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhoundman View Post
Do you have 2 Kodiacs, and 2 batteries going to 1 receiver? It does not surprise me to see the other Kodiac turn on because you are feeding the electronics on the (second) switch through the RX. However the RX is not getting power from the second battery, eventhough it looks like it is on since it is powered up, but the switch is still turned off. Just curious why you are using 2 Kodiacs? they are rated at 30 amps and one of them should be fine for any load in your plane.
the switch might let 30 amps through it,,, but those connectors that you plug into your receiver wont...... max they will let through without melting is 4 amps. so that 30 amp switch is not really the total answere to getting more power to the receiver. so either you can use 2 switches or you can solder on 2 leads off the switch to plug into the receiver then you can get 8 amps. really the 30 amps does not do you any good because you cant get that 30 amps to the receiver. at least with the receivers iam using the 2.4 921's. so that is why iam using 2 kodiks with 2 ends off each switch to the receiver,, giving me a total of 4 plugs into the receiver,,, meaning i really can get to the receiver is a total of 16 amps and that is the the way it is. beleive it or not. no hype no B/S this is the truth
rede2fly is offline Find More Posts by rede2fly
Old 10-12-2008, 01:17 AM
Joined Jan 2006
3,091 Posts

or....you connect the Kodiak's to a Power Expander which is supplying the power to the servos, with the receiver only supplying the signal.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:00 AM
Find More Posts by rcman54
X Spectre Gunner
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Jan 2008
19 Posts

I agree that the use of a power expander, with the Kodiaks ,makes this a solid system.
rcman54 is offline Find More Posts by rcman54

Quick Reply