Old 01-25-2014, 12:48 PM
Find More Posts by q8cub
q8cub
Joined May 2012
485 Posts
Discussion
Why is right harrier roll harder than left HR

On a simulator, they both seem ok.

In reality however, I am having hard time steering the plane doing the right harrier roll (rolling clockwise).

The plane is a Pilot yak 55 100cc with a dle111

Could this be related to the engine torque?

TIA
q8cub is offline Find More Posts by q8cub
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-25-2014, 01:01 PM
Find More Posts by Vic3D
Suspended Account
Puerto Rico, Caguas, Caguas
Joined Jan 2006
5,011 Posts
When rolling to the right you have a bit of torque counteraction, especially when slow/high-alpha.

Another thing you should note, is that learning the rolling harrier maneuver to one side is one thing. Learning it to the other side is another. You basically start over. You have to learn the timing both ways, and it is not easy. Takes years to get this maneuver down right (at least it did for me, no good sims back then)

Keep at it, it's a doozy but rewarding once you get it down!

Vic
Vic3D is offline Find More Posts by Vic3D
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 01-25-2014, 01:27 PM
Find More Posts by funboy
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,622 Posts
What he said. The torque from the prop assists in left hand rolls, but slows down right hand rillers. Imagine you are actually making the prop spin faster in a right roll.
funboy is offline Find More Posts by funboy
Old 01-25-2014, 02:32 PM
Find More Posts by JoeAirPort
RC Enthusiast
United States, WI, West Bend
Joined Jan 2006
8,340 Posts
It's all in your thumbs and requires lots of practice. I learned how to roll right to start. Then rolling left was hard for me and still is. Going straight and turning is nothing but stick timing. You can theorize about the torque characteristics but all that can be compensated for with practice. I still struggle with left rollers.
JoeAirPort is offline Find More Posts by JoeAirPort
Old 01-25-2014, 03:20 PM
Find More Posts by jhelber08
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2013
995 Posts
I learned rolling to the right so left is hard for me. Its weird, all I could do when first learning to the right was roll in a circle and then I was able to start steering any way I wanted to and then I was able get it down to where I could go straight. Now I'm learning left and can only go straight but can't turn to save my life. I can also only do rolling loops and riffle's when rolling right. So I'm in the same boat but I'm sure it will come with more practice.
jhelber08 is offline Find More Posts by jhelber08

Quick Reply