logo
Old 06-10-2014, 10:50 AM
Find More Posts by cbh82v
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jul 2012
82 Posts
Discussion
porting and polishing

So I had my brand new DLE 55 apart to put in a Bowman ring. I was looking at the ports and noticed that they were fairly smooth but not mirror polished. I was tempted to take my dremel polish tip to it and see what would happen. I chickened out.

Has anyone done any of their own port or polish work on their gas motor? What was the result? Anyone know of a good how to on port polishing?

thanks
cbh82v is offline Find More Posts by cbh82v
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-10-2014, 01:06 PM
Find More Posts by Coletrane
Team JR
United States, OK, Owasso
Joined May 2011
271 Posts
Regarding the intake side, a certain amount of "roughness" is preferred to maintain the best flow/velocity of the atomized fuel/air mixture. If the intake is mirror polished the fuel/air mixture stands a higher chance of puddling and adhering to the sides of the runner. While its been done to "some" success Id wager your time/efforts vs increased perf is nill to none. Having said that, if there's large inconsistencies with port matching, large casting obstructions etc etc then Id say sure... might wanna break out the dremel & stone..... IMHO these engines are NOT super high performance and would NOT respond well JUST mirror polishing the ports... In my experiences for what were running these engines are just fine bone stock.
Coletrane is offline Find More Posts by Coletrane
Old 06-10-2014, 03:35 PM
Find More Posts by Timeflys
LOWER! That was too low
United States, CT, Manchester
Joined Sep 2009
213 Posts
Port matching on intake and exhaust is good for even flow. As far as porting and polishing you would never notice the difference.
Timeflys is offline Find More Posts by Timeflys
Old 06-10-2014, 03:41 PM
Find More Posts by cbh82v
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jul 2012
82 Posts
Just trying to squeeze a little more power out of the motor. I know that the boat racing and giant scale air racers do some work to the motors.

I watched some u tube videos after posting. looks like a major port job is way beyond my level.

Thanks for your response. I think best course of action is to just put gas in it and fly.
cbh82v is offline Find More Posts by cbh82v
Old 06-10-2014, 05:42 PM
Find More Posts by Muttdog
United States, GA, Canton
Joined Feb 2013
2,826 Posts
The boat and air racers are only looking for one thing: All out power at top RPM. Extreme porting will get you that but the engines will not be very friendly in the RPM range where most sport/3D type airplane engines are used.
Muttdog is offline Find More Posts by Muttdog

Quick Reply