logo
Old 03-25-2012, 10:25 PM
Find More Posts by Rick Sowell
Hoquiam,Wa. USA
Joined Jan 2006
355 Posts
Darren, that does not sound good, I would load test those batteries really good, could possibly be a large current draw is causing the servos to lose the ability to hold the surface deflection. have you checked for reciever frame loss, I think that is just for JR only. have you flown other planes at that field? might be some kind of interference issue, you also might try flying the plane with a different transmitter, and also with a complete different battery set-up. do these tests one at a time to find the problem. hope you can find the solution to the failure. say Hi to Cheri for me, will miss you guy's at this years events. Rick
Rick Sowell is offline Find More Posts by Rick Sowell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-25-2012, 10:31 PM
Find More Posts by jlloyd1995
Extreme Flight, DA, JR. (:
Molalla, OR.
Joined May 2010
1,187 Posts
+1

Can't stand when these things happen. Is there any point where all the power is going through one switch, connector, etc? In my oppinion, every giant scale plan (30-35% and up) should have 2 RX's. Otherwise you put all your faith into that one little RX and you never know if it's going to fail 'till it does.

Is there anything you changed recently on the plane or have you been flying it for awhile the way that it is?
jlloyd1995 is offline Find More Posts by jlloyd1995
Old 03-25-2012, 10:45 PM
Find More Posts by Rick Sowell
Hoquiam,Wa. USA
Joined Jan 2006
355 Posts
Darren, did all of the other controls work or was it just the elevator that seemed to fail? might be a clue to what is happening. with running all HV servos there might be a battery load problem that is causing this, the servos are going to demand more current from the batteries on every transmitter input.
Rick Sowell is offline Find More Posts by Rick Sowell
Last edited by Rick Sowell; 03-26-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:24 AM
Find More Posts by wingwall
Edgewood, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,217 Posts
Connections. Check all wire connections. ?...Possible loose connection to elevator servos?

One time I had a loose intermittent battery connection to one side RX in my 35%. Would disconnect on going inverted and I would lose that side of the plane. Was a scary feeling. Kevin may remember. He found the loose connection when we had it inverted in the pits. Many years ago in Medford. It was apparent that gravity would cause the disconnect.

RXs seem very reliable to me, so I have been running only one in my 35%, but the RX is on a Power Expander and receives a regulated 5 volts. The power to the Power Expander and the servos is from two separate 7.4 volt lithium batteries regulated to 6.0 volts, each with its own regulator and switch. Seems the least reliable for me have been connections and batteries, in that order. Have run down some batteries, but not in the air. Can't say I have had a problem with a RX or a switch, or a regulator. Cross my fingers, knock on wood.
wingwall is offline Find More Posts by wingwall
Old 03-26-2012, 06:57 AM
Find More Posts by JoeV
Need A Helmet?
NW IMAC
Joined Mar 2008
569 Posts
Yes check wires. What your describing is wire issue, Another person had an issue like that and come to find out it was a simple lead. Change them all now! When he would go inverted the wires would shift in position and cause strange behavior.

Also I wouldn't fly the dang thing till I found the fault. Sorry but man handling an expensive aircraft on the ground through some maneuvers is cheaper than flying a question mark.
JoeV is offline Find More Posts by JoeV
Last edited by JoeV; 03-26-2012 at 07:05 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:09 AM
Find More Posts by Azhar
The Aluminum Bling Guy!
Redmond, WA
Joined Aug 2006
1,749 Posts
Darren, it has happened to me. Found an intermittent contact on one of the elevator servo wire. You may have a bad extension.
Azhar is offline Find More Posts by Azhar
Old 03-26-2012, 09:44 AM
Find More Posts by helivflyer
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Mar 2006
889 Posts
Darren, What is the failsafe set at? Low throttle all servos in last known position? Or? I set mine for low throttle all other servos set to last known position so that if there is any RF noise that is related the engine harmonics the motor will go to low throttle and change the condition that could be causeing the RF noise. It could be RF noise and going into a hold condition. Do you have a Data Logger? If not get one and you can read alot of information about how your receicers are excepting information (holds, fades, etc.). Unfortunatly the Data Log only will let you know after the fact of some kind off of problem but you can range check it with the motor running at all angles and throttle changes and read the Data Logger in real time.
Along with all of the other great advise form everyone else, check so see if the headers are rubbing on the pipes at the coupler connection.
Hope you find the problem before the contest this weekend.
helivflyer is offline Find More Posts by helivflyer
Old 03-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Find More Posts by kbodeau
Keith Bodeau
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Jan 2006
348 Posts
Don't forget the Oregon Judging School is this weekend, Sat Mar. 31, everyone that can should try and make this school. It is important to attend these schools even if you have been to one or more previously because every time you go you wil learn and retain new information. Judging is something that needs to be studied and practiced just like flying the sequences.
http://www.mini-iac.com/Home/Control...0/default.aspx
See you Sat.
Keith
kbodeau is offline Find More Posts by kbodeau
Old 03-26-2012, 02:56 PM
Find More Posts by gdryer
8000 Watt Club
Vancouver Canada
Joined Feb 2008
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dqman40rock View Post
I posted this on another forum regarding weather you should have two recievers or not. I wanted to ask you guys also so here is the post.
But I also have to tell you guys. When we go fly. We are aliens. We have not seen another big plane like ours nor have we seen anyone fly 3d. These things are not the norm around here in Southern az anyway. They dont even have a hobby shop in Phoenix or Mesa or anywhere else that you could buy say a 9 channel reciever.. Its strange. I thought rc would be big around here but so far its not. We will learn more when we go to the contest this weekend.
Hey
I just moved to Arizona. My wife flies a 40 percent Godfrey. She has just one reciever. JR 1222 It is not the new X thing.
Just a 1222
We do not run the soft switch just a double switch set up. No regs we run high voltage servos. JR 8911 and a couple 8711 HV
We run two Froemco 52OO Flat packs. The only regulator in the system is for the lower voltage throttle servo JR 8611a
She has flown the plane for a couple seasons no issues. A few days ago, at our new unsanctioned field in the desert of Casa Grande, she does a roll and begins a 45 upline (whatever you want to call this manouver is fine) Anyway on the 45 upline the plane dives down about 4 feet and the gets back on line.
So I ask her are you sure that wasnt you? No she is sure it was not her, which explains why she immediately gave me the transmitter. So we range check it 30 paces button in etc. and it checks out. We did not nose the 40lb plane up or down just a 360 range check.
So we go home, come back a couple days later, rebind the plane, range check it and I fly it. I do some 3d stuff, hover etc. Take off out of a hover into a knife edge to the right, begin to level out and the plane begins a slow downward projection towards the ground! I am holding back the elevator but the plane is going down. Then it goes away and before her beloved plane crashes it climbs and we land. The downward projection only lasted about 2 or 3 seconds but seemed longer.
Anyway if anyone has any ideas please let me know. Or if I should be running two recievers maybe you have some input on that.
Thanks
Darren n Cheri
Hello Darren and Cheri;

My vote is for a intermittent power connection caused by dust. Maybe install new switches or clean the existing ones if possible. Last year I saw a similar issue that presented itself as a range issue but was cured by a new switch. Cheers.
gdryer is offline Find More Posts by gdryer
Old 03-26-2012, 03:13 PM
Find More Posts by Bad Dog!
"Release the Kracken"
Medford Oregon USA
Joined Apr 2008
544 Posts
It looks like eight will attend from Medford. All appear to be signed up. Is the Denny's at the interstate 5 exit?
Bad Dog! is offline Find More Posts by Bad Dog!
Old 03-26-2012, 04:38 PM
Find More Posts by gulfvet
usa
Joined May 2007
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Dog! View Post
It looks like eight will attend from Medford. All appear to be signed up. Is the Denny's at the interstate 5 exit?
take exit turn right, turn right at next road. two blk. on right
gulfvet is offline Find More Posts by gulfvet
Old 03-26-2012, 10:45 PM
Find More Posts by castlebravo
It's the Summer Of George
United States, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Mar 2007
2,335 Posts
To everyone coming to the Oregon Judging school this weekend......Dusters has cordially invited any pilots attending the judging school to the field Sunday if you want to fly. Of course......there are no guarrantee's on the weather.....but if you guys want to bring a plane either up or down or over with you........bring it on out Sunday!

CB
castlebravo is offline Find More Posts by castlebravo
Old 03-27-2012, 01:28 AM
Molalla, OR.
Joined May 2010
1,187 Posts
Just to be clear, this isn't an actual event is it? I see people signing up for different classes and freestyle...
Old 03-27-2012, 02:04 AM
Find More Posts by djmille
80's ROCK RULES
United States, OR
Joined Aug 2007
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlloyd1995 View Post
Just to be clear, this isn't an actual event is it? I see people signing up for different classes and freestyle...
It's an actual judging school. There is no flying connected with the judging school.

As far as what pilots are signing up for .... they are demonstrating their sense of humor, or haven't quite figured out how to fill out a form on a webiste
djmille is offline Find More Posts by djmille
Old 03-27-2012, 02:08 AM
Molalla, OR.
Joined May 2010
1,187 Posts
LOL, Thanks.

Quick Reply