logo
Old 08-15-2015, 08:43 PM
Find More Posts by Ultimate Flyer
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2015
15 Posts
Discussion
What would you do?

Would you knock out the tnut, re-drill the hole then reinsert the tnut or open up the hole in the rib which also requires opening the hole in the fuselage? I don't like opening the hole in the fuselage nor do I like knocking out tnuts and installing them by tightening vs tapping them in. Knocking it out is stressful on me and the structure.

You'll also notice a hairline crack through the the entire length of the rib and though the wing hold down bolt hole, I suppose thin CA is appropriate. I wonder if the rib can withstand the beating needed to knockout the tnut since it is already cracked.
Ultimate Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Ultimate Flyer
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-15-2015, 08:54 PM
Find More Posts by JPal101
United States, NY, Huntington
Joined Nov 2006
567 Posts
I would just tap it out, not "knock it out". Reinstall the T-nut. Yes use thin CA on that crack
JPal101 is online now Find More Posts by JPal101
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2015, 08:56 PM
Find More Posts by dmcquinn
USA, MO, Chesterfield
Joined Apr 2007
1,179 Posts
I'd get the TeeNut out of there without enlarging the hole (if possible). Maybe use some heat. Then, on the bench, press the nut back into a round piece of plywood just larger than the TeeNut. Glue this round plywood into the proper spot behind the rib.
dmcquinn is offline Find More Posts by dmcquinn
Old 08-15-2015, 09:04 PM
Find More Posts by Muttdog
United States, GA, Canton
Joined Feb 2013
2,826 Posts
I have a Phoenix models Jupiter with nylon T nuts glued into the wing just like yours. I don't like the plane and don't fly it anymore but did need the T nuts for another build. I took a 1/4-20 wingbolt that threaded into it and ran it in a few threads then pushed hard until it broke free. I pushed a lot harder then expected but with even force and my fingers doing their best to support the wing rib from behind it came free. I since pulled out the remaining 3 t nuts with no damage to the wing. Good luck.
Muttdog is offline Find More Posts by Muttdog
Old 08-15-2015, 09:25 PM
Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Still Draggin' 'Em
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Mar 2007
6,809 Posts
I'd plug the hole in the fuse and root with a piece of dowel and redrill in the right spot.
BOSSIER_ROB is online now Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Old 08-15-2015, 09:46 PM
Find More Posts by as722
Pennsyvania
Joined Jan 2006
1,592 Posts
Take it out, install a doubler and re drill. As for the hairline crack, are you sure that's not just one of the multiple layers of plywood?
as722 is offline Find More Posts by as722
Old 08-15-2015, 10:47 PM
Find More Posts by Ultimate Flyer
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2015
15 Posts
Not sure about the crack just being a layer of the ply.

Guess I am going to push out the nut, add a doubler to the doubler, redrill and reinsert nut. I was planing on getting a small sanding drum and opening the hole ever so slightly. The wing has a dowel in the back and the big carbon tube up front, isn't the bolt just holding the wing on?
Ultimate Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Ultimate Flyer
Last edited by Ultimate Flyer; 08-15-2015 at 10:57 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 08-16-2015, 01:09 AM
Find More Posts by Cryhavoc38
Living the dream
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Oct 2007
6,511 Posts
that doesn't appear to be a hairline crack. Seen it dozens of times in ply and where two pieces of wood have been joined. Look towards the trailing edge area. You can also see a line. Those aren't hairline cracks.

as far as the tnut goes, unless its been glued in place, just thread your nylon bolt in a few turns and press in. should pop right out.

With regards to "opening the hole" in both the wing and fuse...slightly enlarging a hole to accommodate a thicker wing bolt is not going to damage or structurally diminish your plane. I've hacked up planes to get things how I want them, to reduce weight, to accommodate certain hardware, etc. As long as you are smart about a modification, there isn't much you will do to cause a structural failure...especially if its just to enlarge an existing hole.

having said all that, that sure is a small wing bolt hole, AND I've not yet seen a wingbolt hole installed in such an odd location. All my planes, from small to 42% size are in the middle.

What brand/plane is that? just curious.
Cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by Cryhavoc38
Last edited by Cryhavoc38; 08-16-2015 at 01:14 AM.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:14 AM
Find More Posts by 3DCrazy516
Smooth!
Joined Mar 2006
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryhavoc38 View Post
What brand/plane is that? just curious.
Looks like a 50cc PAU SU-26. Had a similar issue with my 50cc extra wasn't that far off though. Easy fix.
3DCrazy516 is offline Find More Posts by 3DCrazy516

Quick Reply