logo
Old 08-06-2015, 11:25 PM
Find More Posts by WNCmotard
United States, NC, Franklin
Joined Apr 2015
22 Posts
Discussion
Pilot RC Trainer 90 Build

I've had this since Joe Nall, just now getting around to it as life gets in the way sometimes. I've been flying helis for about ten years, and multi rotors for about four years, but I just started doing planes this year. I wanted something larger and heavier than my smaller birds for when the wind gets up out at the club. Another club member has this exact plane and let me fly it, and it was a lot of fun so I had to have one. I think it's the perfect first giant scale gasser for me personally, fully aerobatic, but not really 3D, that's me. I've been posting this on another forum, and forgot all about FG, sorry about that.

Pilot RC Trainer 90 ARF
90" span, 60" fuselage once motor, tail feathers, and prop are on. Had to remove it from the box to get in the truck for the ride home from Joe Nall. Picked up a wing bag also.

New Futaba 10J for control
Futaba S3071-HV servos x 5
Fromeco Badger power switch
Tech Aero ultra IBEC for regulated ignition power and optical kill switch for the engine
DLE 35RA 35cc rear exhaust engine
miracle RC prop drill guide
Turnigy nano tech 2100mah LiFe packs for plane and radio
Dave Brown lite flite 5" wheels (love me some bush plane style)
Xoar 19x8 prop (not pictured)
Jersey Modeler fuel can / pump setup with storage tote (not pictured)

WNCmotard is offline Find More Posts by WNCmotard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-06-2015, 11:27 PM
Joined Apr 2015
22 Posts
Started by finding the center of the fuselage, and driving in a T pin to use to measure off of to get the horizontal stab set right.

Once you've put the stab in, and measured and bumped it around to get it right about 47 times, mark it and trim off the mono kote.

You then need to mix up some 30 minute epoxy. It was at this point I realized, I have nothing to mix it with. So I went over to my local Ace and they gave me a paint stick. I tried to pay for it, but the guy wouldn't have it, said go build your plane, good luck. This is why I always hit my Mom and Pop Ace before any of the big box stores. I simply took an xacto and scored small sections for mixing / applicator sticks.

Once you get it all mixed up, coat everything well, and put the stab back in, measuring to get it centered once again.

Now is the perfect time for a break to let the epoxy cure without being disturbed. beer 'n pizza time.

Once you're well hydrated and full, we can move on to the vertical tail fin. Go get a cheap plastic carpenters squre, and do this to it.

That way, once you've trimmed the mono kote from the fin and got your epoxy in place, you use it in this manner to ensure your tail assembly is square.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:29 PM
Joined Apr 2015
22 Posts
Got the tail wheel mounted, measured, bent and installed into the rudder. Cut for the control horns and epoxied them in place also.

Got my rudder and elevator servo locations cut, and mounted the servos, labeled the wires at the other end while I was at it.

The kit came with servo clips to keep the wires together, nice touch for the vibes on a gasser

I'm running these for all 5 of my servos, and I made sure to use the rubber grommets and metal eyelets on this build

Next, I got the ailerons mounted and glued the hinges, and mounted the aileron servos.

Got my throttle servo mounted up

The kit is marked for a DLE 30cc engine, and the 35cc I'm running is a bit different mounting wise. But, the top two bolts line up, so I used that and got the bottom two marked and drilled and checked the fit. Everything lines up, but I'm going to have to space the engine forward a bit, as the muffler is hitting the firewall bracing on the bottom.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:30 PM
Joined Apr 2015
22 Posts
I had read to use this stuff for my muffler gasket, and to hold the muffler bolts in place also.

One bolt between the standoffs and firewall, and a bit of trimming and muffler fits fine now. I added washers before the final install, this was just a test fit.

I trimmed and cleaned this up a bit more after this shot

And finally a friend (thanks Ralph!) gave me a tip to thin out some epoxy with alcohol and coat the firewall and cowl. It will make it fuel proof and reinforce anywhere I had to trim to clear the muffler.

Gave it a few coats, tomorrow I can finish installing everything and get this ready for the air this weekend!

Last edited by WNCmotard; 08-06-2015 at 11:35 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:32 PM
Joined Apr 2015
22 Posts
I opted to go buy a saw and some small stock, and epoxy in mounting platforms for most of my gear. Maybe overkill, but I prefer this method.

Got my Tech Aero Ultra IBEC mounted up right next to the ignition, as far from my RX as possible

Connected everything up and tested with my new radio, RX, and all my gear...

So that I could start installing and mechanically zeroing my linkages

Got my fuel dot, power switch, and ignition warning light installed...

Power on...

Ignition on, green means go. Ignition can be killed from the TX, a must for any large fuel model IMO.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:33 PM
Joined Apr 2015
22 Posts
Starting to look like an airplane now. Cut the location and mounted my landing gear, moved and re-mounted my IBEC and ignition, engine is mounted, made my choke and throttle linkages and fuel line ran. Had they not shorted me on tygon fuel tubing, I'd have been done tonight. Gotta grab some big zip ties, fuel tubing, mixing oil, and one of those ratcheting cargo bars for the bed of the truck tomorrow to haul this thing to the field Saturday morning.

Old 08-07-2015, 03:25 AM
Find More Posts by raptorheli2
United Kingdom, Scotland, Glasgow
Joined May 2011
866 Posts
The servo brass inserts are the wrong way round fyi.

Cheers
raptorheli2 is offline Find More Posts by raptorheli2
Old 08-07-2015, 08:09 AM
Joined Apr 2015
22 Posts
Well JK, thanks for letting me know, I'll fix them tonight.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:20 AM
Find More Posts by mtickel25
Tickel
United States, SC, Dalzell
Joined May 2012
302 Posts
It doesn't matter...I install them that way and have never had a problem. I think this is the way your supposed to install them anyway.
mtickel25 is offline Find More Posts by mtickel25
Old 08-07-2015, 09:37 AM
Find More Posts by Mark Dennis
Robot Babysitter
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Jan 2006
1,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtickel25 View Post
It doesn't matter...I install them that way and have never had a problem. I think this is the way your supposed to install them anyway.
It actually does matter, with the flang at the top against the servo screw head (as the op has done) the sharp, non flanged side can cut into the servo mounting surface loosening the servo mounting screws over time.

The build looks great so far!
Mark Dennis is offline Find More Posts by Mark Dennis
Old 08-07-2015, 09:50 AM
Find More Posts by mtickel25
Tickel
United States, SC, Dalzell
Joined May 2012
302 Posts
ahhh.....I see the point now!
mtickel25 is offline Find More Posts by mtickel25
Old 08-07-2015, 09:53 AM
Joined Apr 2015
22 Posts
Well, luckily it's something easy to fix. I'll swap them all around to the right way this evening.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:15 AM
Find More Posts by raptorheli2
United Kingdom, Scotland, Glasgow
Joined May 2011
866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dennis View Post
It actually does matter, with the flang at the top against the servo screw head (as the op has done) the sharp, non flanged side can cut into the servo mounting surface loosening the servo mounting screws over time.

The build looks great so far!
The main reason for putting them the right way is you can overtighten them the wrong way and shove all the vibrations through the servo. They are made of rubber for a reason and gas planes are hard on servos obviously due to vibes.

As you say overtime with the vibes they will loosen up going into wood so defo worth putting right.

Cheers
raptorheli2 is offline Find More Posts by raptorheli2
Old 08-07-2015, 11:05 PM
Joined Apr 2015
22 Posts
Well, she's as ready as she'll ever be. Ready for a kick ass day with my first giant scale bird tomorrow. Servos were fixed, thanks again. Beer for scale of course.

Old 08-08-2015, 02:08 AM
Find More Posts by Mike 48
Super Contributor
United States, CA, Indio
Joined Jul 2010
296 Posts
Looking good. I bought this same plane over two years ago when they first came out and haven't got around to putting it together. My problem is having too many planes. I must have at least ten planes waiting to be assembled. Can't resist buying something that catches my eye . I need to sell off or retire a few to make room for all the new ones.
Good luck on your maiden. I think it will be a good flying plane.

Mike 48
Mike 48 is offline Find More Posts by Mike 48

Quick Reply