Find More Posts by rede2fly
GRAVITY SUCKS
florida
Joined Jan 2006
4,821 Posts
Re: DL-50 OIL ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Lewis View Post
I,m running Belray H1R in mine at 40:1 for break-in and the rest of its life. Just my opinion but I don't see any point in all of the "break-in" "normal running" oil disputes. I'm getting 7400 rpm on a Vess 23A and am very happy with the engines performance with that mixture.
this is how my dl is running now. same as al here. belray @ 40:1 and it just keeps getting stronger and stronger no brake in oil
rede2fly is offline Find More Posts by rede2fly
Last edited by rede2fly; 02-10-2008 at 08:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2008, 06:48 PM
Find More Posts by mikel7099
Pa
Joined Sep 2006
1,569 Posts

Thanks Guys. I started the engine today with Lawnboy Ashless 32:1 with no issues and ran a full tank. I am gonna run about 4 gallons then switch over to the Mobil Synthetic.
mikel7099 is offline Find More Posts by mikel7099
Old 02-10-2008, 07:11 PM
Find More Posts by bosshoss
Joined Feb 2006
712 Posts

Even the "new" one thatI am currently flying in a Bipe , has gotten progressively noisier/clicky-er.

Make a mental note or better video the slop in the motor when it is new....then video it again after say...10 gallons and compare.

Yup, Al, I TRIED to break it .....and when it didn't, I just kept flying the crap out of it, HARD. As hard as I could, letting everyone fly it, relentlessly. And guess what???? It Broke. Bad. I could have let it grenade, but when the noise got SO bad, I opened her up and found a wiped out bottem end...crank pin. A WOT Barnstorming (my style) motor this is not.

A putting around , slow flying 3D motor, babied, never allowed to get hot, never WOT for minutes on end, never full WOT dives, never long full tank hovers, never run for 10 hour Sundays, and yup, it will LAST A LONG TIME.

Hey Ralph, I have been meaning to send you my BME 102's to see if you can ressurect them, I will send the DL to you and you can pass judgement on the crank. And let me know if it was MY fault.

98 bucks and it could run again , I am told. But, F that. It will be a paper weight, as a long standing reminder of "You get what you pay for".

BTW, I run my Zenoah,s every bit as hard as this DL-Cutie. Yup, the DL had better response and power than the DA, a function of the reed block design, I believe. My prop numbers proved it. Many times over, even in side by side tests at the field. But, it didn't stand up to the torture tests. I have a DA that did.

The DL has it's place, if it gets guys into entry level gassers, or adds a second Sunday flyer to the Hangar, great. But, there is still is a Gold Standard, and it is well established. And Standards die hard, in fact, it almost takes a Congressional act.

I will run 32:1 LAwnboy exclusively in this DL, as a control, and wait to see if lasts the entire season . WOT Throttle Barnstorming in Bipe. Will the oil make a difference?, who knows. But it is the only thing I can change besides my flying style. And, I don't want to fly like a little old lady just yet. LOL.
bosshoss is offline Find More Posts by bosshoss
Old 02-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Find More Posts by zzw26n
United States, MI, Shelby Charter Township
Joined Mar 2006
2,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedannielle View Post
Thanks Guys. I started the engine today with Lawnboy Ashless 32:1 with no issues and ran a full tank. I am gonna run about 4 gallons then switch over to the Mobil Synthetic.

Mike,

Are you running it on the ground? or in the air?
zzw26n is offline Find More Posts by zzw26n
Old 02-10-2008, 08:45 PM
Find More Posts by zoomer260
Louisville,KY
Joined Jun 2006
3,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshoss View Post
Use a lot of Petroleum based oil....30:1 ....messy, but good. 32:1 Lawnboy is what I am using in my 2ND DL-50....

Because, I don't want it to BLOW UP, like my first that I ran on AMsoil Dominator 50:1. Oh, that is the first engine of mine to lunch on AMSOIL 50:1. EVER. ( bottom end wiped out)

So, Lawnboy and lots of it, for this one, maybe it will last longer.....maybe. The first one is a paper weight now. We will see how long before this one joins it.

250 bucks more for a DA looks like bargain, now. CAVEAT EMPTOR.

I'm a little curious as to why you did not just repair the first one ? Or repair it after you got the second ?
zoomer260 is offline Find More Posts by zoomer260
Old 02-10-2008, 08:48 PM
Louisville,KY
Joined Jun 2006
3,052 Posts

Found out.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Find More Posts by T. Bob
Major League Deadbeat
Munster Indiana
Joined Jan 2006
2,391 Posts

Oil

Who needs oil
T. Bob is offline Find More Posts by T. Bob
Old 02-10-2008, 09:50 PM
Find More Posts by Craven
United States, FL, Port Orange
Joined Feb 2006
10,852 Posts

What is the oil for?
Craven is offline Find More Posts by Craven
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 02-10-2008, 10:28 PM
Find More Posts by Al Lewis
Port Orchard, WA
Joined Nov 2007
6,911 Posts

Quote:
Yup, Al, I TRIED to break it .....and when it didn't, I just kept flying the crap out of it, HARD. As hard as I could, letting everyone fly it, relentlessly. And guess what???? It Broke. Bad. I could have let it grenade, but when the noise got SO bad, I opened her up and found a wiped out bottom end...crank pin. A WOT Barnstorming (my style) motor this is not.
Odds are if you would have done the same thing with a DA you would have gotten the same results. Why would you do this to an engine, then buy another one, and then come on here and trash them? Sure doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Agendas???
Al Lewis is offline Find More Posts by Al Lewis
Old 02-10-2008, 10:39 PM
Find More Posts by mikel7099
Pa
Joined Sep 2006
1,569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzw26n View Post
Mike,

Are you running it on the ground? or in the air?
I ran the first tank on the ground.
mikel7099 is offline Find More Posts by mikel7099
Old 02-10-2008, 10:39 PM
Find More Posts by innovator
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Joined Jan 2006
319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshoss View Post
Even the "new" one thatI am currently flying in a Bipe , has gotten progressively noisier/clicky-er.

Make a mental note or better video the slop in the motor when it is new....then video it again after say...10 gallons and compare.

Yup, Al, I TRIED to break it .....and when it didn't, I just kept flying the crap out of it, HARD. As hard as I could, letting everyone fly it, relentlessly. And guess what???? It Broke. Bad. I could have let it grenade, but when the noise got SO bad, I opened her up and found a wiped out bottem end...crank pin. A WOT Barnstorming (my style) motor this is not.

A putting around , slow flying 3D motor, babied, never allowed to get hot, never WOT for minutes on end, never full WOT dives, never long full tank hovers, never run for 10 hour Sundays, and yup, it will LAST A LONG TIME.

Hey Ralph, I have been meaning to send you my BME 102's to see if you can ressurect them, I will send the DL to you and you can pass judgement on the crank. And let me know if it was MY fault.

98 bucks and it could run again , I am told. But, F that. It will be a paper weight, as a long standing reminder of "You get what you pay for".

BTW, I run my Zenoah,s every bit as hard as this DL-Cutie. Yup, the DL had better response and power than the DA, a function of the reed block design, I believe. My prop numbers proved it. Many times over, even in side by side tests at the field. But, it didn't stand up to the torture tests. I have a DA that did.

The DL has it's place, if it gets guys into entry level gassers, or adds a second Sunday flyer to the Hangar, great. But, there is still is a Gold Standard, and it is well established. And Standards die hard, in fact, it almost takes a Congressional act.

I will run 32:1 LAwnboy exclusively in this DL, as a control, and wait to see if lasts the entire season . WOT Throttle Barnstorming in Bipe. Will the oil make a difference?, who knows. But it is the only thing I can change besides my flying style. And, I don't want to fly like a little old lady just yet. LOL.

Long post short:
I'm a tool, I bought junk, it broke, I bought more, it will break, I have good stuff, it works fine.
innovator is offline Find More Posts by innovator
Last edited by innovator; 02-10-2008 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:46 PM
Find More Posts by Al Lewis
Port Orchard, WA
Joined Nov 2007
6,911 Posts

You forgot....I bought more
Al Lewis is offline Find More Posts by Al Lewis
Old 02-10-2008, 10:49 PM
Find More Posts by innovator
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Joined Jan 2006
319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Lewis View Post
You forgot....I bought more

Fixed!
innovator is offline Find More Posts by innovator
Old 02-10-2008, 11:42 PM
Louisville,KY
Joined Jun 2006
3,052 Posts

I can break any engine on the market if that were my intention. No doubt about it.
Set something up to fail, it will fail.
Let's see a side by side mistreatment, don't care if it breaks comparison with a DA 50 and then I'll give it credit.
It's been said here (on FG) that a DA is comparable to a "racing type" engine that requires "more" attention to keep producing all that power, but you say the DL had MORE power and better transition. Perhaps having a more powerfull "racing type" engine than the DA requires a little more attention ?
I watch drag guys tear their engines down after every run to keep that kind of power !
This may start a fire but I didn't catch exactly what part you broke.
Last edited by zoomer260; 02-10-2008 at 11:54 PM.

Quick Reply