logo
Old 01-06-2009, 02:31 PM
Find More Posts by almmendes
Antonio Mendes
Longmont, CO
Joined May 2006
1,063 Posts
Smart-Fly Setup Help

I have never worked with any smart-fly devices and therefore do not have any experience in this subject and that is why I'm asking for directions in what to do.

As you can see in the pictures I have the Futaba Power Expander Model 4804, the TurboReg and the flag switch. I know I'm missing the ignition cut-off but I don't have a clue how to assemble this and what to expect. I didn't yet bought any batteries as well... I'm thinking Li-Po for the RX because I don't have a A123 charger and a Ni-Mh for the ignition.

I want to get this setup in my 3DHS 50cc Katana, with a DL-50 and HS-625MG (elevator and rudder) and Maxx MS-870MG in the ailerons. I'm going to use my Futaba 9CAPS on 72MHZ and a PPM RX.

What ignition cut-off should I get? What batteries should I get? How do I connect all this?

Thanks
almmendes is offline Find More Posts by almmendes
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Find More Posts by gotsky
Castaic, CA USA
Joined Nov 2008
128 Posts
Re: Smart-Fly Setup Help

I'm running Lith-Ion 123 cells all the way around. And the set up is pretty straight forward just open those niffty little paper books you have in your pictures they spell it out pretty well.
LOL
But really you should read through the included instructions because you really need to understand each option and how it works. I think asking the blanket question about how it is set up is really doing yourself a disservice. You spent the money for it now spend and hour looking it over.
gotsky is offline Find More Posts by gotsky
Old 01-06-2009, 05:42 PM
Antonio Mendes
Longmont, CO
Joined May 2006
1,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsky View Post
I'm running Lith-Ion 123 cells all the way around. And the set up is pretty straight forward just open those niffty little paper books you have in your pictures they spell it out pretty well.
LOL
But really you should read through the included instructions because you really need to understand each option and how it works. I think asking the blanket question about how it is set up is really doing yourself a disservice. You spent the money for it now spend and hour looking it over.

Thanks
Old 01-06-2009, 06:31 PM
Find More Posts by Fly3DWithStyle
Earth
Joined Apr 2007
143 Posts

It's pretty simple. The two leads coming out of the regulator (deans) go onto the two connectors coming out of the power expander. The switch lead will plug into the lead coming out of the power expander that says "switch". Pull the pin for power on, put the pin in for power off. Power expanders with regulators usually use Li-Ion batteries rated at 7.4V which most would say should be retulated. The regulator (when you read the instructions) can be adjusted from like 5V to 6.8V or something like that. You'd plug the batteries into the power expander using the common servo connector. The majority of turbo regs I've seen have the Deans connectors to the battery but yours have regular connectors that will be hooked to the batteries. Most servos run fine on six volts so that's where you want to set your regulators.

Place your receiver on the power expander and run the white leads into your receiver with the corresponding channels. Then, plug as many as servos into each channel as needed.

Since you're going to be running a 50cc sized plane that would't require the use of multi servos per channel, I wouldn't even worry about using the equalizer. But, each is different.

As far as a shut-off, the items you have are not in any way used as/with an optical kill. There's a lot of optical kills on the market but I think Smart-Fly has about the best out there.
Fly3DWithStyle is offline Find More Posts by Fly3DWithStyle
Old 01-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Antonio Mendes
Longmont, CO
Joined May 2006
1,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly3DWithStyle View Post
It's pretty simple. The two leads coming out of the regulator (deans) go onto the two connectors coming out of the power expander. The switch lead will plug into the lead coming out of the power expander that says "switch". Pull the pin for power on, put the pin in for power off. Power expanders with regulators usually use Li-Ion batteries rated at 7.4V which most would say should be retulated. The regulator (when you read the instructions) can be adjusted from like 5V to 6.8V or something like that. You'd plug the batteries into the power expander using the common servo connector. The majority of turbo regs I've seen have the Deans connectors to the battery but yours have regular connectors that will be hooked to the batteries. Most servos run fine on six volts so that's where you want to set your regulators.

Place your receiver on the power expander and run the white leads into your receiver with the corresponding channels. Then, plug as many as servos into each channel as needed.

Since you're going to be running a 50cc sized plane that would't require the use of multi servos per channel, I wouldn't even worry about using the equalizer. But, each is different.

As far as a shut-off, the items you have are not in any way used as/with an optical kill. There's a lot of optical kills on the market but I think Smart-Fly has about the best out there.

This was more th info I was needing. Experience in the matter.

Thank you

Quick Reply