logo
Old 12-02-2009, 11:08 AM
Find More Posts by rotojon
PA
Joined Oct 2009
47 Posts
EQ6 TURBO IGN CUTOFF ISSUE

Please help,

I have the EQ6 turbo with the fiber cut-off switch used with a 12X radio and the 1221 receiver. I have everything setup and programed, did a fresh bind with the receiver after all changes were made. I have the ignition cutoff assigned to chanel 6 on the board and also AUX 6 in the radio. I did this so I was using a rotary knob to control the ignition as opposed to a toggle that I would likely "bump" off at the most in-opportune time. It works great on that rotatry knob.... turn it all the way up and the cutoff LED comes on at just over the halfway point. turn it all the way down and the cutoff LED goes out just past the halfway point.

THE PROBLEM.... When I turn off my radio to simulate failure the ignition channel remains ON. I originally thought that maybe I did the Bind with the rotary knob on (all the way up) and that the receiver was outputing that as a failsafe signal so I did another bind with the knob all the way down and the ignition off. This did not change anything and the ignition remains hot when my transmitter is turned off.

ANY THOUGHTS ???

Thank You
rotojon is offline Find More Posts by rotojon
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-02-2009, 11:41 AM
PA
Joined Oct 2009
47 Posts
Re: EQ6 TURBO IGN CUTOFF ISSUE

I also have the travel set to +150, -150
Old 12-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Find More Posts by sweetpea
If you can't HUCK it BLING IT!
United States, OH, Lebanon
Joined Jan 2006
11,244 Posts

Maybe I'm wrong but I believe the radio failsafe is setup for

1. throttle (whatever position you bind it in) and all other controls/switches last known.

i.e. if you have the ignition on when you turn the radio off its going to stay on. If it was off it should stay off. Is that what is happening?

So binding with the dial off won't change anything. If it is like Spektrum (which it should be) you can go in a set a position for each control/switch during the bind for failsafe but then you lose the last known function. Not sure if you can do a partial last known and switch position for various inputs though as I don't have the 12x
sweetpea is offline Find More Posts by sweetpea
Old 12-02-2009, 02:39 PM
PA
Joined Oct 2009
47 Posts

You are correct.... the receiver bind was done as "smartsafe." The throttle goes to "failsafe" position and the remaining channels remain at their last known position. Yes, if the ign was off it stays off, If it was on it stays on.

in looking at the manual I could bind the receiver in "failsafe" mode which would send ALL chanels to the predetermined failsafe position but as you mentioned, I loose the hold feature on all other channels.

The Question is.... Which is more likely to happen:

1. very short glitch which just shut down the engine. ( choose smartsafe)
2. loss of signal from transmitter during high speed pass ( choose failsafe)
3. short-term loss of thumb input coordination from the central nervous system resulting in an overextended blender. (priceless)

We need a "smart" fiber optic cutoff.

I'll have to look some more at available options....

Thank You
Old 12-02-2009, 02:51 PM
Joined Jan 2006
11,244 Posts

Also look at the new Electro Dynamics kill. It has a few more options than the Smart-fly.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:01 PM
Find More Posts by ds1rc
Aloha OR
Joined Jan 2006
220 Posts

Rotojon,

The manual is a little vague on failsafe bind procedures. I checked the 12 channel manual and it's the same as the 9 channel manual. Try this:

1. Set all sticks and switches where you want them if the Xmitter fails.
2. Install the bind plug, Xmitter off, turn on the receiver. the lights should start to flash.
3. Remove the bind plug, yes, remove the bind plug.
4. The lights should continue to flash.
5. Depress the bind button on the Xmitter and turn the Xmitter on.
6. The receiver's should go through their sequence and come up locked on.
7. Turn every thing off.
8. Do your normal on sequence, Receiver on, Xmitter on, Ignition on, SmartFly red light on.
9 Turn the Xmitter off and the red light should go out.

This work for me on a 9303 hope it works for you on the 12X.

Don Schultz
ds1rc is offline Find More Posts by ds1rc
Old 12-02-2009, 07:20 PM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts

the question is, do you really want your engine killed when it goes into fail safe? aslong as your throttle goes to idle the plane will go down. but if you regain control atleast your engine is still running and you will have power to get out of trouble. just a thought. i bound my 9303 with ignition off, gear switch, and the ignition stays on.
jamesrxx951 is offline Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Old 12-03-2009, 10:12 PM
PA
Joined Oct 2009
47 Posts

Don,

You are exactly correct. I did find the failsafe bind in the manual and it is exactly as you described. I performed all of the steps and the receiver now goes to failsafe positions if there is a signal loss.

My trouble now is as James had pointed out... in smartsafe the engine goes to idle and all other channels hold there last position but in failsafe the engine now quits.... I could set the failsafe to keep the ignition hot and drop the engine back to idle as well.... do i really want the engine to automatically quit and have all control surfaces go to neutral or do I want the engine to go to idle and the controls to hold there current position?

We should start a thread titled "Smartsafe or Failsafe" and take a poll.

I think I am favoring smartsafe to keep the engine from cutting out in the hopes that the signal interuption is resolved prior to impact. As far as the fiber cutoff we still retain the ability to kill the engine should something happen to the servo/linkage so it retains some value.

What does everyone else think most appropriate should a signal interruption occur.... KILL or NO KILL on the engine?????

Thanks,

Jon
Old 12-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Joined Jan 2006
11,244 Posts

I have always preferred Engine to idle. This way my plane will eventually come down in a more predicatable manner. Also helps to let you know if you did indeed have a radio hit. If your engine goes idle than comes back up.....that pretty much tells you. Of course if your engine dies and then you regain control.......you have a deadstick plane on your hand and will most likely incur damage attempting to land.

This is all personal preference and you'll get a ton of reasons each way.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:23 PM
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts

i dont think you wil really have that issue, but it's good to hear that your thinking ahead.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:38 PM
PA
Joined Oct 2009
47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
i dont think you wil really have that issue, but it's good to hear that your thinking ahead.
Thanks James, its encouraging to know that you dont think I will have an impact (he,he), I mean a linkage problem or a runaway engine throttle . I agree that everything seems unlikely. I guess I am trying to justify why I stuck the darn thing in there in the first place.

There is much said across all of the forums about the need for the cutout switch in case of a radio problem. I assume so you dont have a high power carbon fiber man-eater headed for a crowd of spectators. so yes, just trying to think it through now that the thing is in there I want be make a good choice on how I set it up and feel justified in my reasoning. I appreciate the input.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:42 PM
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts

just think of it this way. that high powered carbon fiber man eater coming after you is a great way to get in your daily exercise. lol
Old 12-03-2009, 10:50 PM
PA
Joined Oct 2009
47 Posts

Hey Bling, sorry.... only the wifey gets called sweetpea. I really do believe that I am tending more toward NO KILL.

In full scale my philosiphy on intentionally shuting down an engine is only under 3 conditions...

1. ITS ON FIRE.
2. ITS IN DANGER OF FALLING OFF THE WING IF I DON'T
3. ITS DEAD AND IS A LIABILITY UNLESS FEATHERED

almost everything else can be overcome

Anyway Its good to hear how others are setup so I can feel like i've made an informed decision...

Thanks
Old 12-03-2009, 10:52 PM
PA
Joined Oct 2009
47 Posts

LOL - Sprinting would be the IN thing real fast....
Old 12-03-2009, 11:02 PM
Find More Posts by phippsj
Shut up and Fly!
Texas
Joined Jan 2006
1,190 Posts

Just email or call Robert at SmartFly. He can walk you through it. World-class customer support.
phippsj is offline Find More Posts by phippsj

Quick Reply