logo
Old 07-18-2012, 04:01 PM
Find More Posts by jonklittle
Joined Apr 2009
20 Posts
Discussion
Bypassing the ignition kill!

I guess I'm going to bypass the ignition kill on my Eq6 seeing as I'm having many problems with it. Just wondering if any programming is needed in the expander to bypass it, or do I simply disconnect the fiber optic cable, and unwire the ignition kill from between the ignition and the switch?

Thanks for any help!
jonklittle is offline Find More Posts by jonklittle
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-18-2012, 04:05 PM
Find More Posts by Unmanned
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
1,031 Posts
Bypassing is simple. Just remove it from the system entirely.
Unmanned is offline Find More Posts by Unmanned
Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 07-18-2012, 04:09 PM
Joined Apr 2009
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unmanned View Post
Bypassing is simple. Just remove it from the system entirely.
Sounds easy enough!

Thanks!
Old 07-19-2012, 08:38 AM
Find More Posts by rrritchey
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonklittle View Post
I guess I'm going to bypass the ignition kill on my Eq6 seeing as I'm having many problems with it. Just wondering if any programming is needed in the expander to bypass it, or do I simply disconnect the fiber optic cable, and unwire the ignition kill from between the ignition and the switch?
Thanks for any help!
Hi,
What problems are you having? Did you cut BOTH ends of the fiber-optic cable so they have a clean, smooth surface? You need to use a new razor or Xacto blade and they should look like two round, shiny mirrors with a black border. This is the most common issue of the Cutoff being intermittent or having misses at the high end.
rrritchey is offline Find More Posts by rrritchey
Site Sponsor
Old 07-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Joined Apr 2009
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrritchey View Post
Hi,
What problems are you having? Did you cut BOTH ends of the fiber-optic cable so they have a clean, smooth surface? You need to use a new razor or Xacto blade and they should look like two round, shiny mirrors with a black border. This is the most common issue of the Cutoff being intermittent or having misses at the high end.
I spoke with you on the phone a couple of weeks ago, and you actually swapped out a new cut off for me. Everything seemed to work fine on the ground, but it keeps cutting off in the air, not really sure why. I've done everything to trouble shoot it that you have told me plus everything that I have I read, and still
no answers as to why its cutting off. Im just getting kinda freaked out every time I put this 40% plane in the air over a corn field and it cutting off on me!

Thanks for any help!
Old 07-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Find More Posts by parpar1
Fast can be bad
Garden Grove, CA
Joined Nov 2009
3,576 Posts
XXXX
parpar1 is offline Find More Posts by parpar1
Last edited by rrritchey; 07-20-2012 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Not helpful, inappropriate for this forum.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:17 AM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
Quote:
I spoke with you on the phone a couple of weeks ago, and you actually swapped out a new cut off for me. Everything seemed to work fine on the ground, but it keeps cutting off in the air, not really sure why. I've done everything to trouble shoot it that you have told me plus everything that I have I read, and still
no answers as to why its cutting off. Im just getting kinda freaked out every time I put this 40% plane in the air over a corn field and it cutting off on me!
Thanks for any help!
What engine is it? Are you running a regulator? What voltage is suppose to be going to the ignition? Sorry I don't remember this conversation.
Site Sponsor
Old 07-20-2012, 12:08 PM
Joined Apr 2009
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrritchey View Post
What engine is it? Are you running a regulator? What voltage is suppose to be going to the ignition? Sorry I don't remember this conversation.
It's a DA-120, and I am running a power box systems 6 volt regulator. I've got a Fromeco Lithium Ion
battery running to a badger switch, the switch running to the cutoff, then the regulator, then the ignition.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:27 PM
Find More Posts by JoeAirPort
RC Enthusiast
United States, WI, West Bend
Joined Jan 2006
8,340 Posts
I had this same exact issue with my da-120. I finally had to bypass it to be able to fly. With over $4k in a plane and limited time to fly I gave up. Removed it. Seems da ignitions may not play Well with smart fly. Not mine anyway. Bob, you and I spoke on the phone and you thought it may be low voltage. I did re-do a solder joint to the ignition when I put a slider switch in the ignition kills place so it may have been that. Doubtful but possible.
JoeAirPort is offline Find More Posts by JoeAirPort
Old 07-20-2012, 01:47 PM
Find More Posts by rede2fly
GRAVITY SUCKS
florida
Joined Jan 2006
4,821 Posts
i use one on all my gassers da100,3- da 50's da 85 da 120 bme 116 dle 55 dle 20 mentor 38 some smart fly and others electro dynamic never a problem. but i have seen this same issue you speak of. and i found the problem with the one that was being used by another club member actualy 2 different members with same problem. they had cut the optic cable too short. and while flying the airframe wood moves and the cable would back off just enough to cut the motor. after replacing the optic cable with one just a little longer problem went away have to have room for flex. not saying this is in fact your problem
rede2fly is offline Find More Posts by rede2fly
Old 07-20-2012, 05:11 PM
RC Enthusiast
Joined Jan 2006
8,340 Posts
The thing is, the same exact thing happened with my rcxl ignition kill. So I got the smart fly and same results. Bypassing them was the only way to get rid of the cutting out. So I installed a slider switch and resoldered the jr/fut plug on the ignition power lead. Never wanted to experiment with ignition kills after that. Too nerve racking to hear your engine cutting out while you're flying. That problem is gone now. I did enjoy having the ignition kill while it worked. The rcxl did work for about 30 flights.
Last edited by JoeAirPort; 07-20-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:15 PM
Find More Posts by JPal101
United States, NY, Huntington
Joined Nov 2006
567 Posts
If you are using the little red light, is it off when the engine cuts out, but the switch is still on ? I have used this system for years in DA 50, 85, 100 and 120 never had a problem.
JPal101 is online now Find More Posts by JPal101
Old 07-20-2012, 08:30 PM
RC Enthusiast
Joined Jan 2006
8,340 Posts
In my case it was always in the air so I couldn't see it. I read all about how great luck people have had with them and I believe them. Just had bad luck with my first time. Not interested in experiementing on a flying plane anymore.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:55 PM
Find More Posts by funboy
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,622 Posts
I run nothing but Smart-fly fiber optic ignition kill switches- in 4 planes, 2X da-100, DA-120, and a JC EVO 120. I bought one 6 year old plane RTF and after two years the ignition kill receiver failed. No crash- just a dead stick landing. Rob had a new receiver to me in less then a week free of charge. After 6 years of flying these planes literally thousands of times that's the only problem I have ever had with Smart fly fiber optic ign. kills. I've had wires vibrate loose, regs die, connectors fail, the ignition module itself come loose, switches go bad, worn out dozens of servos, burned over a hundred gallons of gas, and even had DA's shell themselves in the same time period.

I would double check everything in your ignition setup- if you can't find anything send your stuff to Rob and he will get your stuff working right!

Almost every ignition problem I have had is wiring related.
funboy is offline Find More Posts by funboy
Old 07-21-2012, 10:22 AM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
Quote:
It's a DA-120, and I am running a power box systems 6 volt regulator. I've got a Fromeco Lithium Ion
battery running to a badger switch, the switch running to the cutoff, then the regulator, then the ignition.
I am getting some new, regulated Cutoff receivers in the next 2 weeks. I can send you one. I suggest you eliminate the badger switch and the PowerBox regulator when I send you this (bypass then to start). I have 1000s of these flying on DA-120s so I am not sure why there is an issue with a few. Seems to usually involve a extra switches and regulators though.
Site Sponsor

Quick Reply