logo
Old 12-07-2011, 04:31 AM
Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Joined Dec 2011
13 Posts
Discussion
rolling harrier

1.-on the post by bonedoc rolling harrier 101 it shows the plane doing rolls, but i don't see the stick doing ailerons. does it mean that the rudder is linked to ailerons? i didn't see any mention on this.
2.-could be a way to slow down the video or is there another video that shows the stunts on slow motion? things happen too fast for a newcomer like me on that video.
3.- i have seen videos where the plane looks larger in the screen, and the radio smaller-at the bottom. if someone could direct me to those i will appreciate.
thanks
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Last edited by phil alvirez; 12-07-2011 at 04:37 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-07-2011, 07:42 AM
Find More Posts by husker
Riley O'Brien
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts
Since the plane is rolling the ailerons are pegged to the left or right(direction of the roll) so there is nothing to see since that input doesn't really change. No special mixes or anything...

I think one of bonedocs rolling harrier videos does show them in slow motion.

Here is a helpful diagram courtesy of the km
husker is offline Find More Posts by husker
Old 12-07-2011, 08:33 AM
Joined Dec 2011
13 Posts
ailerons indeed

thank you for your reply and diagrams. very useful. with your advice, i went back to the video and noticed that the fingers block the view of the stick but he is moving it very little to 1 side or the other. what happens is that the plane needs very litle input on the ail. i have seen videos showing the tx without hands-just a diagram-so the sticks are not blocked by the hands. if anybody knows where i can find them i will appreciate. thanks again for your great input.
the videos am talking about are from KevinKingRC. and sure thing, if it can be seen on slow motion that helps a lot, too.
Last edited by phil alvirez; 12-07-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:56 AM
Find More Posts by husker
Riley O'Brien
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez View Post
thank you for your reply and diagrams. very useful. with your advice, i went back to the video and noticed that the fingers block the view of the stick but he is moving it very little to 1 side or the other. what happens is that the plane needs very litle input on the ail. i have seen videos showing the tx without hands-just a diagram-so the sticks are not blocked by the hands. if anybody knows where i can find them i will appreciate. thanks again for your great input.
the videos am talking about are from KevinKingRC. and sure thing, if it can be seen on slow motion that hepls a lot, too.
Most people actually max out the aileron input all the way. The higher the nose the slower the roll rate.

I would suggest learning point rolls and rolling circles first so you have an understanding of what the inputs are doing. Rolling harriers are one of he most difficult and advanced menuevers there is and judging by your questions I think you may want to tackle some prerequisite menuevers first.
husker is offline Find More Posts by husker
Old 12-07-2011, 09:59 AM
Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Still Draggin' 'Em
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Mar 2007
6,809 Posts
Im not sure what you noticed as far as aileron control, but I assure you, the aileron stick is pegged to one side and you don't move it from one side to the other. You stay full deflection on the ailerons in the direction you want to roll.
BOSSIER_ROB is offline Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Old 12-07-2011, 11:20 AM
Joined Dec 2011
13 Posts
walk before run

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker View Post
Most people actually max out the aileron input all the way. The higher the nose the slower the roll rate.

I would suggest learning point rolls and rolling circles first so you have an understanding of what the inputs are doing. Rolling harriers are one of he most difficult and advanced menuevers there is and judging by your questions I think you may want to tackle some prerequisite menuevers first.
agree. very good idea. thanks for the advice.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:28 AM
Joined Dec 2011
13 Posts
how far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSSIER_ROB View Post
Im not sure what you noticed as far as aileron control, but I assure you, the aileron stick is pegged to one side and you don't move it from one side to the other. You stay full deflection on the ailerons in the direction you want to roll.
yeah, what happens is that the fingers block the view of the stick and is hard to see how far it is. that's why i am asking for vids with the tx seen without hands shown: there we can see exactly how far the stick goes.
thanks for your comments.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Find More Posts by jon595
Supercharged....
United States, FL, Pensacola
Joined Jan 2006
906 Posts
"Most people actually max out the aileron input all the way. The higher the nose the slower the roll rate."

My take on it. I don't use a rearward CG but have it rearward just enough to be able to get the nose up easily when stalled. I only use around 42 degrees of throw on the elevators. Aileron throw is around 35 degrees. The more aileron you have in it the slower the roll rate when you have the nose up AND in a stalled condition. If you dont have enough aileron in it won't stay stalled during the rotation.
jon595 is offline Find More Posts by jon595
Old 12-07-2011, 01:09 PM
Find More Posts by theKM
needs more yaw authority
Central PA
Joined Oct 2008
1,748 Posts
Quote:
1.-on the post by bonedoc rolling harrier 101 it shows the plane doing rolls, but i don't see the stick doing ailerons. does it mean that the rudder is linked to ailerons? i didn't see any mention on this.
2.-could be a way to slow down the video or is there another video that shows the stunts on slow motion? things happen too fast for a newcomer like me on that video.
3.- i have seen videos where the plane looks larger in the screen, and the radio smaller-at the bottom. if someone could direct me to those i will appreciate.
thanks
the "newcomer like me"... sounds as if you're trying to put the cart before the horse. If you first learn to fly slow rolls and point rolls, this will teach you the input "stir" as we call it, and from there you can speed it up (roll rate) and slow it down into a rolling harrier. The maneuver is 15 minutes of explanation followed by a year or three of continual practice.

theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old 12-07-2011, 02:30 PM
Joined Dec 2011
13 Posts
advice welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
the "newcomer like me"... sounds as if you're trying to put the cart before the horse. If you first learn to fly slow rolls and point rolls, this will teach you the input "stir" as we call it, and from there you can speed it up (roll rate) and slow it down into a rolling harrier. The maneuver is 15 minutes of explanation followed by a year or three of continual practice.

okokok. i was advised on post 4 about which way to start, and i acknowledged on post 6 his input, so as i said, am a newcomer to 3D and all suggestions about what to do first are welcome.
please provide all the advice you consider convenient. am open to comments from you experts. that's why am here.
regards
Old 12-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Find More Posts by theKM
needs more yaw authority
Central PA
Joined Oct 2008
1,748 Posts
Quote:
okokok. i was advised on post 4 about which way to start, and i acknowledged on post 6 his input, so as i said, am a newcomer to 3D and all suggestions about what to do first are welcome.
please provide all the advice you consider convenient. am open to comments from you experts. that's why am here.
regards
no stress, the advice has generally been given. Once you know the inputs, what is left is literally years of practice to get comfortable with it. Some take one, many take two, others take longer... it's just how it is. But if the inputs seem confusing, all will come to light if you practice the precursor maneuvers first, slow and point rolls (four point rolls especially). Trying to learn the hardest maneuver in the book is common enough, but the learning curve is made harder if one tries to skip all the maneuvers that come before it.

Most importantly... do whatever you have to do to remain having fun during the process. 3D is a great way to push yourself with new goals of new maneuvers, good luck!

...oh, and a simulator is the perfect tool to compress the learning time of new maneuvers without consequences and down-time.

theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old 12-07-2011, 04:53 PM
Joined Dec 2011
13 Posts
have fun above all

[QUOTE=theKM;1610669]no stress, the advice has generally been given. Once you know the inputs, what is left is literally years of practice to get comfortable with it. Some take one, many take two, others take longer... it's just how it is. But if the inputs seem confusing, all will come to light if you practice the precursor maneuvers first, slow and point rolls (four point rolls especially). Trying to learn the hardest maneuver in the book is common enough, but the learning curve is made harder if one tries to skip all the maneuvers that come before it.

Most importantly... do whatever you have to do to remain having fun during the process. 3D is a great way to push yourself with new goals of new maneuvers, good luck!
>>>right on! i am always laughing when flying. so much fun!<<<

...oh, and a simulator is the perfect tool to compress the learning time of new maneuvers without consequences and down-time.
>>>again, right on! am beginning to practice the movements, even in the shower (not with the sim there) , as i used to do when i flew control line stunt and did the pattern. it's like learning to walk: just a matter of practice. then run.
thanks for your advice<<<
Old 12-08-2011, 08:50 AM
Joined Dec 2011
13 Posts
from square 1

so why don't you guys tell me how to hover. all the details.
or is there something that i should try before?
thanks
Old 12-08-2011, 09:04 AM
Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Team Twisted!
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Mar 2006
5,907 Posts
Quote:
so why don't you guys tell me how to hover. all the details.
or is there something that i should try before?
thanks
Tip #1....practice on the flight simulator.

Tip # 2....buy a foamy.

Tip #3 practice tips #1 and #2!
STLAV8R is online now Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Old 12-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Find More Posts by Jaybird
Jay Florida
Joined Jan 2006
3,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLAV8R View Post
Tip #1....practice on the flight simulator.

Tip # 2....buy a foamy.

Tip #3 practice tips #1 and #2!
Best tool ever is an EPP foamy and a sack full of HobbyKing lipos.
Jaybird is offline Find More Posts by Jaybird

Quick Reply