logo
Old 05-28-2008, 06:55 PM
Find More Posts by Yani
Miami, FL
Joined Jan 2008
18 Posts
3D Hobby Shop 87" Extra 300 SHP

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/detail.aspx?ID=2280

Long time lurker here, i've been reading this forums for a long time now trying to decide on my first 50cc plane. I noticed there isn't a thread on this plane and judging by the manufacturers claims it should be amazing. Hopefully these aren't exaggerations because it does seem mighty light for a plane of its size.

87 inches wingspan
87 inch length
1475 sq in
15.5-16.5 lbs.

Unfortunately its not released yet, but if its released as they state late june early july then its right around the time i'm ready to pull the trigger on my plane. If it gets delayed then i'll just go with the EF 88" Yak like i planned to originally.

Do the rest of you giants have any opinions or thoughts on this airframe?
Yani is offline Find More Posts by Yani
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-30-2008, 05:35 PM
Find More Posts by Yani
Miami, FL
Joined Jan 2008
18 Posts
Re: 3D Hobby Shop 87" Extra 300 SHP

anyone?
Old 05-30-2008, 05:49 PM
Find More Posts by Simpleton
That Was a Close Shave!
USA
Joined Oct 2006
660 Posts

There's a bit more on it in the "Git 'Er Done - Electrics" forum. I think there's just a handful of them flying in the hands of beta testers right now, but I read that a guy won his class in IMAC flying a borrowed one recently.
Simpleton is offline Find More Posts by Simpleton
Old 05-30-2008, 07:29 PM
Find More Posts by 3DHobbyShop
I work for Extreme Flight RC.
TEXAS
Joined Apr 2006
1,284 Posts

Yani -

Here's more info for you:

1.Thread on Stephen Hamilton's electric one.

2.Video on FG of Scott Stoops (the designer) and Andrew Jesky flying them.

3.Thread on RCG with Gas and electric info.

..and yes, they are very lightweight, and badass. Schedule - They are currently being boxed, will be loaded into shipping containers during the next week. So, we're basically on schedule.
3DHobbyShop is offline Find More Posts by 3DHobbyShop
Old 05-30-2008, 07:33 PM
Find More Posts by JEFFRO503
www.rcdude.com
St helens OR
Joined May 2006
2,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpleton View Post
There's a bit more on it in the "Git 'Er Done - Electrics" forum. I think there's just a handful of them flying in the hands of beta testers right now, but I read that a guy won his class in IMAC flying a borrowed one recently.

Simpleton is right on the money on this. 3DHS makes some pretty amazing aircraft. The 87" is definetly one for me to consider as well..but " Ben " over at 3DHS mentioned to me in another thread that a 100cc extra is in the works......ooohhh baby!

I don't think you could go wrong with a 3DHS airplane. They fly really , really well , and if the larger ones hold up like the smaller ones do.....you can count me in on getting one.

I was practicing outside rolling circles with my 3DHS 47" yak....lost orientation for a second , pushed the throttle to about 90% to pull out , but it snapped on me ( my own fault ) and it went strait in from about 15' up.....it hit the ground and it BOUNCED! I just cracked the cowl in a few spots , and there was no damage what so ever on the lil' yak. That's when i realized how good the construction was on these 3DHS airplanes. I could end up getting a 87" here soon , but i think i may hold out for the 100cc.....or say the hell with it , and buy both! HAHA!!
JEFFRO503 is offline Find More Posts by JEFFRO503
Old 05-30-2008, 07:37 PM
Find More Posts by AllBread
Joined Dec 2007
270 Posts

I've flown this one and have been lucky enough to see Scott Stoops (who developed the plane) fly it on many an occasion. It's an amazing airplane and is really the perfect 3D/Precision plane - it tracks straight as an arrow for precision moves and then does any 3D you want it to. Knife edge is virtually coupling free (no roll, no pitch for some and a little for others depending on your CG), it can really cruise at high speeds and still floats in for landings. The one I flew (Scott's) had a 50cc with a cannister and it still flew extremely light. I can't compare it to the EF Extra since I've never flown it, but I know which one I'll be ordering. Like many, I've been a fan of their electrics for quite some time (especially the SHP airframe) so this is is a no brainer for a first 50cc for me.

Ryan
AllBread is offline Find More Posts by AllBread
Old 05-30-2008, 08:27 PM
Find More Posts by Radioactive
IMAC PRESIDENT
FL
Joined Jan 2007
1,726 Posts

Yani, and anyone on the Fence...We'll promise you this much.. This is an extremely lightweight, Sturdy, Dependable, and precision Airframe, capable of off the wall 3d if you crank the rates up. Weve flown it in dead calm Air, to Howling winds, and it is just "Flying Perfection". It is pure pleasure to fly,and makes every pilot look better than we really are! The quality of the construction is second to none, the deign ideas are proven and very sound.. trust me: we have proven the worthiness of the Airframes many times, from stupid powered blenders, to unfortunate electric equipment malfunctions that landed the plane on the wing in a knife edge to a rolling harrier landing. The baby is rock sold in all aspects of flight, and actually has very little wing rocking!
We love it so much we have another one on order at this time..(Killer Red ,Black,scheme. Please feel free to call us if needed, as we'll answer your questions straight up!
FlyingHamiltons 561-212-7358
Radioactive is offline Find More Posts by Radioactive
Old 05-30-2008, 09:07 PM
Find More Posts by Yani
Miami, FL
Joined Jan 2008
18 Posts

wow this is a lot of praise for the plane. so many great options in the 50cc class and this one is shooting to the top of the list.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:02 PM
Find More Posts by gr8taz nitro
Electric.........are you sure?
Joplin, Misery
Joined Nov 2007
7 Posts

I've got the 85" katana and the 47" yak and I'm very happy with my planes. The yak has now been pancaked into the ground from a flatspin not once, not twice, but three times now and other than a couple of props and cowls, it's still holdin up rather well. My pride and joy right now is my katana with a DL 50 for power and it's extremely light at 14lbs 15ozs. You can trust that your getting an awesome plane and if the wife hadn't already promised mayhem if I got another plane, I'd have the extra on the way also.
gr8taz nitro is offline Find More Posts by gr8taz nitro
Old 05-30-2008, 10:15 PM
Find More Posts by Yani
Miami, FL
Joined Jan 2008
18 Posts

after watching all the videos, i need to have this plane... it flies like a foamy, seems to fly lighter than any 50cc plane i've ever seen. any chance for a combo offer on this plane? da50/dl50 5955's etc.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:33 PM
Find More Posts by 3DHobbyShop
I work for Extreme Flight RC.
TEXAS
Joined Apr 2006
1,284 Posts

DL50's are so good, and they're so cheap..there's not really any way to do a combo, but under $400 for that engine is already a screaming deal. www.dlusa.net
EDIT - but throw away the stock muffler and get a good pitts from www.jtecrc.com
3DHobbyShop is offline Find More Posts by 3DHobbyShop
Old 05-31-2008, 01:21 PM
IMAC PRESIDENT
FL
Joined Jan 2007
1,726 Posts

Yani, looks like it's a done deal for you!! Congrats, and Welcome to the 3DHS Brotherhood. A lot of Talent, and the support is unrivaled in this business!! You'll really enjoy this plane, and setup!
Old 05-31-2008, 07:26 PM
Find More Posts by Yani
Miami, FL
Joined Jan 2008
18 Posts

i think you're right! in your post you mentioned a 561 number. are you located in west palm? i'd love to see this plane fly in person and i'm not too far away in miami and have a good friend that lives in west palm.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:22 PM
IMAC PRESIDENT
FL
Joined Jan 2007
1,726 Posts

yes Sir, we can arrange that, call me next week, we'd be glad to help out.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:27 AM
Find More Posts by RC4x4
THORNTON, COLORADO
Joined Sep 2007
506 Posts

Hey everyone. These big ones are gonna be shipping soon. I am looking at getting one since I am a kool aid junkie. I am not sure which color I am gonna choose.
What color are you getting?
I am leaning towards the red one I think.

Cory
RC4x4 is offline Find More Posts by RC4x4

Quick Reply