logo
Old 02-23-2009, 10:36 PM
Find More Posts by lxcoupe
Welcome to Costco. I love you.
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2006
4,277 Posts
DL 100 Help Needed

Just got my 35% yak together. I installed a brand new DL 100 and yesterday was my first time running it. Based on everything that I've read on here and other forums, it looks like the DL is gods gift to RC....Well enter my luck. It looks like I got a winner.

I am at sea level.

I started out at factory needle settings of 1.25 L and 1.5 H....

The engine wouldn't run long and at idle would quickly die and need to be choked to restart.

After 2 tanks I've arrived at a setting of 2.5L and 1.75 H.... This setting gives me easy starting excellent transition and excellent high end. The problems start when it goes back to idle. The engine settles into a decent idle albeit high (enough to push through the wheels pretty good). But after 10 to 20 seconds the idle speeds up and without a tach I'd say about 500rpm. It will idle forever like that. Then If I open up the throttle abruptly the engine dies.

So far this is where I've found the engine running it's best. The needles don't seem very sensitive at all. You must make a 1/2 turn on the needles before a real difference is noticed. I've owned several gas engines and all have them have been very sensitive on needle movements during tuning. Which leads me to believe that there are other problems....

I'm almost ready to buy a different motor as I don't have a lot of confidence in this one....... Anyone have a idea??? I'm really at a lose..... Could it be sucking air? thanks for any help....
lxcoupe is offline Find More Posts by lxcoupe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-23-2009, 10:57 PM
Find More Posts by zoomer260
Louisville,KY
Joined Jun 2006
3,052 Posts
Re: DL 100 Help Needed

I hate to say it after your low end is at 2.5 turns but sounds to me it is still lean on the low end. That said I'd run it for a gallon without getting too serious with the needles. That's just me. A lotta guys bolt 'em on and fly. My experience has been that things change (sometimes a quite a bit) in the first gallon. So with gassers I run them a gallon and tweak them real serious on the last quart.

Sounds like you are there now really and there are a lot of factors that could be causing strange things. You would have to go through all the usual suspects. Tank lines (inside) and to and from your filler, check to see if the carb is tightened down etc. Plug tight and so on. Maybe check the carb screen for debris even new.

I have read that the carb used on the 100cc is not a Walbro and tunes differently than one. Not sure how exactly but I am sure another DL 100cc owner will see this and chime in.

Basically I am "pinging" the thread to keep it on the home page longer ! Besides, I want one of these engines and try not to miss too much about them here on FG. Good news is that so far they have been getting some very good reviews so I would not lose confidence yet.
zoomer260 is offline Find More Posts by zoomer260
Last edited by zoomer260; 02-23-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:13 PM
Joined Jan 2006
4,277 Posts

I pulled the carb off and dis-assembled it and checked for anything obvious, it all looked pretty clean. I checked all the bolts and all are tight. I changed out the plugs to NGK CM6's even before I started it. I am going to continue to run the rest of the 1st gallon though it on the ground...I can't fly it like this. I am hoping that all it needs is a little fuel through it. It seems too out of whack to me to think it is a run-in issue....
Old 02-23-2009, 11:16 PM
Find More Posts by Big A
United States, TN, Chattanooga
Joined Dec 2006
1,786 Posts

I know by your frustration that you might call it a night. I have had good and bad problems with other engines as well. It’s hard to help with the engine not being there; but there are several things to consider.
1. Tackle it tomorrow if you’re ready to can a new engine.
2. Have you tried a new battery
3. The needles are like any other engine you have tried
4. You should not be that far from the factory settings
5. Yes, it could be an air leak-------but not high on the list
6. Check the gas, plugs(gap), battery and try again at the factory settings
Good luck ------------It is usually something simple------------I have seen a lot of little things go wrong with my DA, 3W and it has got under my skin when the solution was simple, after I wanted to hammer the engine!

Big A
Big A is offline Find More Posts by Big A
Last edited by Big A; 02-23-2009 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Mis-spel
Old 02-23-2009, 11:22 PM
Find More Posts by 2walla
United States, WA, Walla Walla
Joined Apr 2007
3,095 Posts

I would not get too excited about the problem for a first run on a new chinese motor or any gasser really. The engine was test run at the factory and most likely they didn't run it out of fuel and god knows what oil they were using. Most likely the carb diaprham is a bit stiff. Most gas engines will act a a bit funny the first time they are run for this reason. I have several that did the same thing, after sitting for a week with fuel in them they straightend up and ran fine. These things are not like a glow motor. Get it to run halfway decent and put some air time on it. Don't try for perfect right out of the box. Think get it "good enough" till it gets some time on it...
2walla is offline Find More Posts by 2walla
Old 02-23-2009, 11:26 PM
Find More Posts by Tired Old Man
Suspended Account
California
Joined Jul 2006
4,329 Posts

You can be reasonably assured there's nothing wrong with the engine itself. The fact that is runs covers that area.

What you may have is a carb issue. Worst case is you replace it. Do some more running in for a tank or two and see what happens. Go through the carb again, blowing out the fuel passages with compressed air.

The carb tunes just like any other carb, Walbro, Tillotsen, Zama, or Emas.
Tired Old Man is offline Find More Posts by Tired Old Man
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 02-23-2009, 11:31 PM
Find More Posts by Show871
Joined Oct 2007
1,776 Posts

I had fuel draw issues with the inline filter i was using on my DL100.......Maybe these carbs cant handle alot of filtering restriction. Try pulling the filter and see what happens....Mine went instantly WAY rich when i pulled the filter , so I switched to a less restrictive one now and my settings are normal again. Worth a try it will take 5 min!

Show871 is offline Find More Posts by Show871
Old 02-23-2009, 11:38 PM
Find More Posts by wildhare
Suspended Account
Texas
Joined Jul 2006
1,487 Posts

I suggest that you find another carb and try it.

I had awful problems getting my first DL-100 to pump fuel reliably, and after a while it finally quit altogether. When I used a Walbro carb on the engine it ran fine, so I knew the problem was in the carb.

It turned out there was a tiny slit in the gasket between the pump diaphragm and the cover plate. The little sealing ridges on the underside of the cover plate had pierced the gasket which was allowing a leak.

Try a different carb first. If that works I may have parts to fix your carb. Or at least inspect that gasket carefully, it could be allowing an air leak into the fuel system.

TF
wildhare is offline Find More Posts by wildhare
Old 02-23-2009, 11:40 PM
Find More Posts by steedav8ranger
AKA ProBroAndy
Houston TX
Joined Mar 2006
352 Posts

my DL 100 has a walbro on it.. i have seen other DL's with (emas?)carbs... i have yet to run it.. but as soon as my new Aeroworks 35% 300 is finished, i will know. good luck with it!

what carb is on yours?
steedav8ranger is offline Find More Posts by steedav8ranger
Old 02-24-2009, 12:11 AM
Joined Jan 2006
4,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired Old Man View Post
Go through the carb again, blowing out the fuel passages with compressed air.
Thanks...I just did. I'll run it again tomorrow when I get home from work.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:13 AM
Joined Jan 2006
4,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steedav8ranger View Post

what carb is on yours?
emas
Old 02-24-2009, 12:16 AM
Joined Jan 2006
4,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhare View Post

Try a different carb first. If that works I may have parts to fix your carb. Or at least inspect that gasket carefully, it could be allowing an air leak into the fuel system.

TF
Thanks Tom! I don't have a different carb nor do I know anyone with a compatible carb. The consensus is looking to be a POS carb though which is making my outlook somewhat more positive
Old 02-24-2009, 01:03 AM
Find More Posts by wiz310
Joined Dec 2006
360 Posts

I'm with T.O.M. It sounds very much like its a carby problem. It sounds like a fuel draw problem at idle, going lean and then running out of fuel. I have had several carbs that wouldn't draw from new, but they came good after the flapper valves had a bit of a soak in fuel. I have also had others that the main needle needed a slight adjustment (read bend) so the fuel pressure at idle could overcome the tight needle pressure. I wouldn't junk the carb just yet.
wiz310 is offline Find More Posts by wiz310
Old 02-24-2009, 01:27 AM
Find More Posts by Tired Old Man
Suspended Account
California
Joined Jul 2006
4,329 Posts

A Walbro SDC 80 should fit if you can find one. RC Ignition bought up the last few that had been available. If he does not have one I'm reasonably certain he would know of another carb that would fit. Perhaps a Walbro WGA 7 or 9 if the bolt pattern aligns.
Tired Old Man is offline Find More Posts by Tired Old Man
Old 02-24-2009, 08:07 AM
Find More Posts by KnowCrashes
Sponsor of My Sons
Sea Level in the SunShine!
Joined Aug 2008
1,280 Posts

I wouldn't get too excited about this just yet. The symptoms you describe were all happening on my DL 100 also. I am just about thru the 4th gallon and it now idles at 1300 rpm reliably. It starts very easy, easier than my DA's. The only issue I have had is having to tweak the needles a bit more than "I thought I should have too."

With that said, it hasn't been a big deal to take care of. I will be off the lawn boy soup this coming weekend and will be going to my trusty Amsoil 100:1 mix that is used on all of my other gassers.
KnowCrashes is offline Find More Posts by KnowCrashes

Quick Reply