Old 02-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Find More Posts by Henry Piorun
Old time pattern dude
Mission B.C. Canada
Joined Feb 2009
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdryer View Post
I look forward to following your progress.

How comfortable are you with only a single point of failure for the ailerons? Maybe the question to ask is when when was the last time you had a servo failure in an IMAC plane?
Well, I don't know, I guess there are two ailerons so even if one goes you could still land the plane. So far no servos have failed me, it's chance I'm willing to take
Henry Piorun is offline Find More Posts by Henry Piorun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-12-2012, 01:41 PM
Find More Posts by E260
FUTABA
Cleveland Ohio
Joined Feb 2010
841 Posts
Henry

Looks really good . you do very nice work .

Bryon
E260 is offline Find More Posts by E260
Old 02-12-2012, 01:44 PM
Old time pattern dude
Mission B.C. Canada
Joined Feb 2009
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildingjets View Post
Looking forward to seeing your cored out Wings , Stabs ect. . Do you have any pictures of your last cored Wings ? Did you use C.F. in them ?
I don't but I will post pictures of this one for sure. I use a full length tapering CF spar top and bottom.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:47 PM
Find More Posts by planecajun
United States, LA, Rayne
Joined Apr 2008
2,287 Posts
what does the 1/2 degree of positive incidence give you in flight characteristics?
planecajun is offline Find More Posts by planecajun
Old 02-12-2012, 02:53 PM
Find More Posts by harv
it wont go any lower
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Feb 2006
2,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdryer View Post
I look forward to following your progress.

How comfortable are you with only a single point of failure for the ailerons? Maybe the question to ask is when when was the last time you had a servo failure in an IMAC plane?

we all fly with one elevator servo so i don't think it makes it any more of a problem when having one aileron servo
harv is offline Find More Posts by harv
Old 02-12-2012, 02:55 PM
United States, LA, Rayne
Joined Apr 2008
2,287 Posts
i fly with 4 elevator servos.......just sayin
Old 02-12-2012, 02:58 PM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Piorun View Post
Well, I don't know, I guess there are two ailerons so even if one goes you could still land the plane. So far no servos have failed me, it's chance I'm willing to take

if you had on aileron servo fail in a 2 servo aileron setup, the chances are is you would burn out the second servo before landing. if one servo went to full lock, the other servo won't have any affect and will likely fail also. the only way i could see it working out well, is if one servo failed and went completly inactive and had no binding at all.
jamesrxx951 is online now Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Old 02-12-2012, 03:03 PM
United States, LA, Rayne
Joined Apr 2008
2,287 Posts
having a servo fail and not lock hard over is pretty unlikely. multiple servo's on a control surface are not for redundancy, they are to achieve an appropriate force for function. Im with you on this james
Old 02-12-2012, 07:00 PM
Old time pattern dude
Mission B.C. Canada
Joined Feb 2009
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planecajun View Post
having a servo fail and not lock hard over is pretty unlikely. multiple servo's on a control surface are not for redundancy, they are to achieve an appropriate force for function. Im with you on this james
I agree guys, having a servo fail on your ailerons would be immensely crappy wether you have a 2 servo set up or one servo per aileron. It's just something I want to try on this plane, the ailerons will be a lot smaller and I think a 500+ oz servo should have no trouble handling the flight loads. Anyway this has already been tried and it sounds like it works just fine. Having siad that I'm not completely married to the idea and if there are some unforseen problems I might just go to 2. I'm not at that stage yet anyway.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:15 PM
Old time pattern dude
Mission B.C. Canada
Joined Feb 2009
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planecajun View Post
what does the 1/2 degree of positive incidence give you in flight characteristics?
Well first let me say that either set up works and I'm not trying to convince anyone that one way is better than another way. However my theory on this is, a 0-0-0- degree set up with a symetrical airfoil does not produce any lift. To make this airplane fly you need to dail in up trim so you are making the whole plane fly on a slighly positive angle of attack. That means for level flight you are actually flying with a bit of up thrust.
I just prefer to set the wing slighly positive, it's not super critical 1/4 to 1/2 a degree is all it takes, I usually aim for 1/3. I set the engine with a slight bit of down thrust, again right around 1/3 of a degree. If it's done right the plane flies with a perfectly neutral elevator. I just find it's easier to trim the plane for vertical up lines with this set up. Most pattern planes have been running this set up for years.
Last edited by Henry Piorun; 03-10-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:21 PM
United States, LA, Rayne
Joined Apr 2008
2,287 Posts
COOL.......Good info to know. I've never owned any pattern planes and have no experience with them. I can see now how this would make sense. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:53 PM
Find More Posts by Scotte 540
Spectrum Flyers
Delta,British Columbia,Canada
Joined Nov 2006
312 Posts
This will be a build I will follow,,,,,,,Henry, you best keep some secrets or patent them!!

Practice your knife edge,,,hehe
Scotte 540 is offline Find More Posts by Scotte 540
Old 02-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Find More Posts by capcanuck
CapCanuck
Sudbury, Ontario,Canada
Joined Jan 2006
378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Piorun View Post
I agree guys, having a servo fail on your ailerons would be immensely crappy wether you have a 2 servo set up or one servo per aileron. It's just something I want to try on this plane, the ailerons will be a lot smaller and I think a 500+ oz servo should have no trouble handling the flight loads. Anyway this has already been tried and it sounds like it works just fine. Having siad that I'm not completely married to the idea and if there are some unforseen problems I might just go to 2. I'm not at that stage yet anyway.
Hey Henry, stick to your guns! I'm going with one servo on my Carden PRO Special with shortened ailerons. Using the SBus analogues to the bls157 (can't remember the servo number). Your bio is very similar to mine, I'm 52 and have been flying the same amount of time with pattern in my past too. I did add a second servo well in my wing but first I want to see how it handles Advanced and Unlimited this spring. My build is in the Giants forum on RC Canada. Looking forward to yours
capcanuck is offline Find More Posts by capcanuck
Old 02-12-2012, 09:15 PM
Find More Posts by capcanuck
CapCanuck
Sudbury, Ontario,Canada
Joined Jan 2006
378 Posts
Cool extra 300

BTW, in thousands of flights, the only servo failures I've ever had were connectors vibrating out of a receiver (once) and a solder connection breaking (once) and both times the plane was a little dicey, but landed without incident. I think sloppy setups and mismatched geometry cause far more problems for some and also cheapening on quality will bite you over time.
capcanuck is offline Find More Posts by capcanuck
Old 02-12-2012, 09:20 PM
Old time pattern dude
Mission B.C. Canada
Joined Feb 2009
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcanuck View Post
BTW, in thousands of flights, the only servo failures I've ever had were connectors vibrating out of a receiver (once) and a solder connection breaking (once) and both times the plane was a little dicey, but landed without incident. I think sloppy setups and mismatched geometry cause far more problems for some and also cheapening on quality will bite you over time.
Hi Lee
I agree, I can't remember the last time a servo actually stopped working. I know it happens but like you say, there's probably a good reason for it.

Quick Reply