logo
Old 01-31-2012, 04:51 PM
Find More Posts by sherman89
Ocala Fl
Joined Feb 2007
2,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lever02 View Post
A longer handle and an approch from the rear and you can use that dolly to launch that cub! No boots or wet feet...

Lever 02,
When you get your 40% cub on floats you will find out pretty quickly how clumsy it becomes. To pick up from the rear the handle becomes 6' long and is not at the right angle to work the push----it is easy to pull but becomes difficult to push even with big floatation tires.
sherman89 is offline Find More Posts by sherman89
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-31-2012, 05:10 PM
Find More Posts by floridaboy
F-ing off
United States, FL, Tallahassee
Joined Aug 2010
34 Posts
this is what you need..... just made with a golf cart or something........

http://youtu.be/AYA6qk3OFj4

i have seen this rig work in Renton WA many many times...... works slick. they built a newer one just before i left there that could pull Kenmore's Twotter and super Otter.... its 4x4 and alot bigger.
floridaboy is offline Find More Posts by floridaboy
Old 01-31-2012, 05:15 PM
Find More Posts by gapple12
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2006
4,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaboy View Post

i have seen this rig work in Renton WA many many times...... works slick. they built a newer one just before i left there that could pull Kenmore's Twotter and super Otter.... its 4x4 and alot bigger.

What a cool video, Im curious why the plane was running ?
gapple12 is offline Find More Posts by gapple12
Old 01-31-2012, 05:28 PM
Ocala Fl
Joined Feb 2007
2,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scale only 4 me View Post
It's over kill for any float plane,, Water rudders are really only necessary for slow speed taxiing,, take off and landing you don't need them down at all... with flat bottom float water rudders are almost not needed at all
On the bigger float planes water rudders are mandatory, twin rudders do help the small planes but are not required---a single rudder if large enough will turn the plane. Floridaboy is correct, a skeg or some kind of keel will help the plane track straighter when up on the step---it keeps the skidding to a minimum when you get behind on the rudder. Water rudders are needed to turn the plane when turning from up-wind to down-wind especially if the wind is up above 10 mph. V-bottoms helps keep a plane in a straight line and strakes or skegs also help them to go straight. If you take a close look at the bottom of full scale floats you will see how they are constructed. My PK scale floats that I build track straight and do cut rough water very well.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:39 PM
Find More Posts by gargajm
Watervliet,Michigan,U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2006
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman89 View Post
On the bigger float planes water rudders are mandatory, twin rudders do help the small planes but are not required---a single rudder if large enough will turn the plane. Floridaboy is correct, a skeg or some kind of keel will help the plane track straighter when up on the step---it keeps the skidding to a minimum when you get behind on the rudder. Water rudders are needed to turn the plane when turning from up-wind to down-wind especially if the wind is up above 10 mph. V-bottoms helps keep a plane in a straight line and strakes or skegs also help them to go straight. If you take a close look at the bottom of full scale floats you will see how they are constructed. My PK scale floats that I build track straight and do cut rough water very well.
sherman 89: Are you selling these floats and the hardwear now as kits?? I am thinking on getting the Bill Hempel 40% Supper Cub and would like to put floats on it.

Thanks!! JG
gargajm is offline Find More Posts by gargajm
Old 01-31-2012, 05:42 PM
Ocala Fl
Joined Feb 2007
2,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaboy View Post

That is basically the same as what we used to move the Hawk XP in and out at the Island Tiki Bar in Key Colony Beach when it was on straight floats only the 4X4 jeep had four wheels and pulled/pushed from the front and the winch to operate the scissor deck was done by hand. Don't you remember blocking US 1 in Marathon when we hauled the plane to the ramp in behind the airport at Dodge Lake after switching it to floats? OH the good oll' days!!!!
Old 01-31-2012, 05:45 PM
Find More Posts by floridaboy
F-ing off
United States, FL, Tallahassee
Joined Aug 2010
34 Posts
Quote:
That is basically the same as what we used to move the Hawk XP in and out at the Island Tiki Bar in Key Colony Beach when it was on straight floats only the 4X4 jeep had four wheels and pulled/pushed from the front and the winch to operate the scissor deck was done by hand. Don't you remember blocking US 1 in Marathon when we hauled the plane to the ramp in behind the airport at Dodge Lake after switching it to floats? OH the good oll' days!!!!
yup!!!!!!!!!!!!! it was like home comming with all the cops and blocked traffic!!!!!!!!!! LOL
floridaboy is offline Find More Posts by floridaboy
Old 01-31-2012, 05:48 PM
Ocala Fl
Joined Feb 2007
2,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gargajm View Post
sherman 89: Are you selling these floats and the hardwear now as kits?? I am thinking on getting the Bill Hempel 40% Supper Cub and would like to put floats on it.

Thanks!! JG
JG,
That is what we are working on. We are also working on floats for the Aeroworks 40% carbon cub. JG I have sent you a pm.
Last edited by sherman89; 01-31-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:54 PM
Find More Posts by gargajm
Watervliet,Michigan,U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2006
233 Posts
Quote:
JG,
That is what we are working on. JG I have sent you a pm.
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
gargajm is offline Find More Posts by gargajm
Old 02-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Find More Posts by frank99
United States, AR, Sheridan
Joined Oct 2009
4,069 Posts
Quote:
JG,
That is what we are working on. We are also working on floats for the Aeroworks 40% carbon cub. JG I have sent you a pm.
what !!!! i have a carbon cub just unpacked let me know or post some pics thanks
frank99 is offline Find More Posts by frank99
Old 02-04-2012, 07:17 AM
Ocala Fl
Joined Feb 2007
2,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank99 View Post
what !!!! i have a carbon cub just unpacked let me know or post some pics thanks
Frank99,
You will have to back to Rocco at Aeroworks on the Carbon Cub floats.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:59 PM
Find More Posts by UNDERDOG
Floating Around
Joined Oct 2008
96 Posts
Sherm, I just took a look at the Nall registration intro by Sleepy C and he mentioned that they are going to have a new dock at the lake for us to fly from. That should be nice to work our larger floaters from and tie up too. Have no idea what it will look like but anything will be an improvement. Working on the 50% cub with a new float set, got wild and tore off the entire cover job and working on a new scheme, Matt is the covering slave on this one!!LOL See ya!

Underdog
UNDERDOG is offline Find More Posts by UNDERDOG
Old 02-15-2012, 05:51 AM
Ocala Fl
Joined Feb 2007
2,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNDERDOG View Post
Sherm, I just took a look at the Nall registration intro by Sleepy C and he mentioned that they are going to have a new dock at the lake for us to fly from. That should be nice to work our larger floaters from and tie up too. Have no idea what it will look like but anything will be an improvement. Working on the 50% cub with a new float set, got wild and tore off the entire cover job and working on a new scheme, Matt is the covering slave on this one!!LOL See ya!

Underdog
Underdog,
You are a brut for punishment----recovering a 50% cub!!!!!!
Yes, I did read about the new dock.
I tried a long handle(6') on the tote cart and picked the plane up from the rear and it worked well, now I have both options.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:45 AM
Find More Posts by scale only 4 me
It's Hooty Tooty Here?
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2010
1,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scale only 4 me View Post
62" span,, ys120

It's the same plane I posed pics of on post 90
https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...9&postcount=90

I have a thread on RCU outlining the repairs in the seaplane section
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10852874/tm.htm
More pics of the painting process at the RCU link,, I'm happy with the way she came out considering it's the first time I used these water based paints
scale only 4 me is offline Find More Posts by scale only 4 me
Old 02-22-2012, 09:49 AM
Find More Posts by Super08
Who put that tree there?
Fort McMurray AB
Joined Mar 2008
7,126 Posts
Beauty!! I would love to see some video of that flying some day.
Super08 is offline Find More Posts by Super08

Quick Reply