Old 02-10-2008, 11:21 AM
Find More Posts by LawnJockey
cuttin the grass with balsa
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jan 2006
1,490 Posts
Need Lightest 50cc engine

Hey guys,
Who has the lightest 50cc engine? I am looking to replace my 3W 50 with a lighter motor. I am looking for actual AUW with a Pitts muffler and Ignition. All input will be appreciated. I am NOT brand loyal so lets not go that route. I would like to see what is going to fly my BME 30% Edge the best.

Bruce
LawnJockey is offline Find More Posts by LawnJockey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Find More Posts by Al Lewis
Port Orchard, WA
Joined Nov 2007
6,911 Posts
Re: Need Lightest 50cc engine

Just because an engine is the lightest doesn't mean that it's going to be the best for your plane. I put a DL-50 in a 30% Extra and ended up putting a ton of dead weight in the nose to get the CG right. Still flys great with more then enough power but you see what I mean.
Al Lewis is offline Find More Posts by Al Lewis
Old 02-10-2008, 12:09 PM
Find More Posts by Greyhoundman
GRRRR
Ofallon, MO
Joined Jan 2006
1,218 Posts

DA 50 will hall that plane around with authority and its lighter than the 3DUB. As far as the lightest 50 I know of I believe that would be the BME 50 but it might be hard to find.
Greyhoundman is offline Find More Posts by Greyhoundman
Old 02-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Port Orchard, WA
Joined Nov 2007
6,911 Posts

I heard a RUMOR that Keith sold BME so they may become available again but keep in mind it was just a rumor. Don't know the weight but you may want to look into a Taurus 52.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:40 PM
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jan 2006
1,490 Posts

Thanks for the replies so far guys. I had a BME 50 on a WH Extra flew great. The weight of the MM offset the weight of the engine. I need to weigh my Edge so I can see what it is. It is a V1 BME Edge.

Bruce
Old 02-10-2008, 12:51 PM
Port Orchard, WA
Joined Nov 2007
6,911 Posts

I fly a WH Edge 540T V2 (wet weight just over 18 pounds) with a 3MM in it and it flies great but it is not the lightest engine out there, 5 ounces heavier then the DA. The DL I have is lighter, has awesome power, and runs like a top. I believe the BME had a magnesium case which is why they were so light. Unfortunately, I wouldn't go near one for about a year until you're sure things with the company are sorted out. If you go to www.rcaerobats.net Bob Pastorello has a weight chart for all of the engines on there. These are his weights that have been verified.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:54 PM
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jan 2006
1,490 Posts

Thanks Al. Hey you guys get any SNOW this year?
Old 02-10-2008, 01:00 PM
Port Orchard, WA
Joined Nov 2007
6,911 Posts

Record levels in the mountains. We got a few inches here and there down here but it was gone the next day. Just crappy winds and rain! LOL I'm sure when the spring gets here a lot of folks are going to get flooded on the rivers. They're having to do avalanche control on Snoqualimie pass every day and have closed it quite a bit because of avalanches. Glad I live at sea level!
Old 02-10-2008, 01:03 PM
Find More Posts by JoeAirPort
RC Enthusiast
United States, WI, West Bend
Joined Jan 2006
8,340 Posts

DA 50, ZDZ 50, and DL 50 is what I recommend. The bare weight of the DA 50 and ZDZ 50 NG are identical. I owned both and weighed them on a digital scale that was checked against a lab scale at work (it was right on). I have a ZDZ 50 NG on my BME Edge II and it flies great. Just be carefull as that ARF tends to be tail heavy. On my BME Edge, I stood off my DA 50 and ZDZ 50 NG so the prop hob was at 7 inches from the firewall to get the CG more forward. Worked great. My ignition batt is at the rear of the canopy under the pull pull wires and my cg is 5.25 inches. Perfect for 3D and precision aerobatics. I had some problems with the DA so I switched to the ZDZ in case you're wondering. I don't even want to go into that topic (it's a very dead horse).
JoeAirPort is offline Find More Posts by JoeAirPort
Old 02-10-2008, 01:13 PM
Find More Posts by bosshoss
Joined Feb 2006
712 Posts

The lightest, BME50. A friend has one, afer 1 year of break in, it has finally come into it's own, and is a rock sold reliable engine. Of course, the owner is a motorcycle mechanic, who had a lot of patience in tweaking and tuning, he struggled with the mixture that seemed to change every month....until it finally settled down and is now as reliable as a Timex.

Buy the DA, and don't look back. Money well spent. The new MT-57 would be something to look at , after intial field tests. The DL , if you want to spend money for DA muffler, and take the chance on longevity.

DA,....
bosshoss is offline Find More Posts by bosshoss
Old 02-10-2008, 02:50 PM
Find More Posts by rcign
Williams, Az USA
Joined Jan 2006
2,439 Posts

The BME 50, like ALL chainsaw conversions, has a magnesium alloy crankcase...Because most people like a shiny CNC case, chainsaw crankcases are looked upon as inferior....Not so, it's just in the eye of the beholder...The BME 50 I have here weighs 3 1/2 with ignition and Nylon mount, no muffler....
If you have any doubts, let a red hot steel chip fall into some chainsaw crankcase filings...But not TOO many, unless you have good fire insurance....Water makes it burn better
rcign is offline Find More Posts by rcign
Old 02-10-2008, 03:23 PM
Port Orchard, WA
Joined Nov 2007
6,911 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcign View Post
The BME 50, like ALL chainsaw conversions, has a magnesium alloy crankcase...Because most people like a shiny CNC case, chainsaw crankcases are looked upon as inferior....Not so, it's just in the eye of the beholder...The BME 50 I have here weighs 3 1/2 with ignition and Nylon mount, no muffler....
If you have any doubts, let a red hot steel chip fall into some chainsaw crankcase filings...But not TOO many, unless you have good fire insurance....Water makes it burn better
LOL Same goes for titanium. I'm looking at getting a case cast from AZ91D. Don't know what kind of atmosphere they have to use to do that but I'm betting there is no oxygen involved.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Find More Posts by Matt_Thomas
Lakeland, FL
Joined Jun 2007
1,936 Posts

DL-50 Stock muffler = Light!
Matt_Thomas is offline Find More Posts by Matt_Thomas
Old 02-10-2008, 05:32 PM
Find More Posts by bodywerks
Tucson
Joined Jan 2006
5,341 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnJockey View Post
Hey guys,
Who has the lightest 50cc engine? I am looking to replace my 3W 50 with a lighter motor. I am looking for actual AUW with a Pitts muffler and Ignition. All input will be appreciated. I am NOT brand loyal so lets not go that route. I would like to see what is going to fly my BME 30% Edge the best.

Bruce
If you want a light powerplant, you need to dump the Pitts muffler and go with a stock muffler. Pitts mufflers can be 5-8 ounces heavier.
As far as the engines go, that's simple - DA-50. Don't know anything about any of the POSCKNOE's and I don't care...not an option as far as I'm concerned.
bodywerks is offline Find More Posts by bodywerks
Old 02-10-2008, 05:57 PM
Find More Posts by BTerry
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Dec 2006
1,474 Posts

Lightest 50cc I have seen is the Brillelli 50gt (same as BME 50). I swapped it for a DL-50 and had to move my batteries back to compensate. That was strange too, because the Brillelli had a wrap-around Pitts muffler and the DL has the stock muffler.

This site has any info you desire: http://www.rcaerobats.net/GAS_ENGINE...ENGINE_WTS.htm
BTerry is offline Find More Posts by BTerry

Quick Reply