logo
Old 04-14-2011, 08:37 AM
Find More Posts by Clippedwing
United States, MN, Minnetonka
Joined Jan 2011
35 Posts
Rob,

I think its amazing what you guys have accomplished, not to mention running the short kit program, on top of the build.....The arf phenomena took away the building, you are taking the laser cutting technique used to build the arfs, and putting the wood back in our hands. (If you'll excuse the expression )
I stopped building about 20 years ago when we started to have kids, I came across your thread, a couple months ago and it brought back the "man....I like to build stuff" feeling....I am flying a 40 sized Decathalon to get the cobwebs out, finishing 2 incomplete 20 year old planes, getting ready for the Monocoupe I've always loved.
I'm excited to eventually straddle the tail of my monocoupe, and give it the gas......get goosebumps thinking about it....wa WHAAAAAAAA....your plane is going to look like a stud, lumbering down the field, taxiing to the end of the runway......awsome....how thrilling to fly a dream...best of luck...we'll all be there with you in spirit when you fire it up.....
Clippedwing is offline Find More Posts by Clippedwing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-14-2011, 09:23 AM
Find More Posts by rcpilot82
KAD Laser Cutting
Western, pa, usa
Joined Mar 2006
3,084 Posts
Thanks for the kind words guys. I have always enjoyed building from kits and scratch. The ARFs of today just don't do much for me. Sure they fly great, but you can't say you "built" it. I wish we could buy arfs in kit form, and thats essentally what we have done with Petes plans. if it had not been for the "short kit program" this plane would be nowhere near the completion level it is at now. I am greatful to be able to help others get back into building.

I will not be at J/N this year but I will be at XFC. If any of you are going to be there, please let me know so I can say Hello.

3DCrazy, Yeah a lot has changed since the "foamy nights"! It's all for the better though!
rcpilot82 is offline Find More Posts by rcpilot82
Old 04-15-2011, 08:43 AM
KAD Laser Cutting
Western, pa, usa
Joined Mar 2006
3,084 Posts
I spent last night cleaning up the shop and getting ready for a day of building this weekend. I should have the better part of Sat. to work on the Mono and I hope to have both ailerons done at that point. (I can hope right...)

I lasered out a template for the wheel pants last night also. I am planning on going to lowes on Sunday and get the blue foam that will be used to make the plug for the pants and the LG. Good things to come
Old 04-15-2011, 09:05 AM
Find More Posts by Smacka
United States, PA, Ridgway
Joined Jun 2008
2,571 Posts
Do you actually pump air into the tires?
Smacka is offline Find More Posts by Smacka
Old 04-15-2011, 10:09 AM
Find More Posts by MODE 1
Joined Jul 2008
4,715 Posts
Question re the wheel pants. Are you making them in two halves or as a single unit?
That's how I do mine as it cuts down the work by half but I use white foam for mine and dissolve the foam after sanding has been completed with thinner. I leave the foam in until ready to remove as it provides support for the thin glass layer when sanding.

Only minor issue you have with the lost foam method is it leaves a very rough textured finish on the inside which is difficult to remove and it does increase the weight some. It's the resin seeping into the pores of the foam during application that causes it. Several ways to aliviate this are by skimming the foam with some soluble filler like gypsum or you can wrap the foam with parcel tape before glassing. This can be removed easily after the foam has gone.
MODE 1 is offline Find More Posts by MODE 1
Old 04-15-2011, 10:29 AM
KAD Laser Cutting
Western, pa, usa
Joined Mar 2006
3,084 Posts
About the tires,
Yes they have inner tubes just like a bike. I believe they are rated for 55 psi. not 100% sure cause I don't have them in front of me though.

About the wheel pants,
I plan on making them in halves and Vac-Bagging them so I can keep them light. this girl is gonna be beautiful on her feet. I just ordered a new check valve for the vac-pump so it will be ready when I am. all I am missing is foam,glass, and epoxy.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:19 AM
Find More Posts by Smacka
United States, PA, Ridgway
Joined Jun 2008
2,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpilot82 View Post
About the tires,
Yes they have inner tubes just like a bike. I believe they are rated for 55 psi. not 100% sure cause I don't have them in front of me though.
Unreal...what'll they think of next
Smacka is offline Find More Posts by Smacka
Old 04-15-2011, 02:17 PM
Find More Posts by Black Sheep
Cowra NSW Australia
Joined Feb 2006
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MODE 1 View Post
Question re the wheel pants. Are you making them in two halves or as a single unit?
That's how I do mine as it cuts down the work by half but I use white foam for mine and dissolve the foam after sanding has been completed with thinner. I leave the foam in until ready to remove as it provides support for the thin glass layer when sanding.

Only minor issue you have with the lost foam method is it leaves a very rough textured finish on the inside which is difficult to remove and it does increase the weight some. It's the resin seeping into the pores of the foam during application that causes it. Several ways to aliviate this are by skimming the foam with some soluble filler like gypsum or you can wrap the foam with parcel tape before glassing. This can be removed easily after the foam has gone.
Hi Pete,

I found if you skim your foam with epoxy finishing resin and wet sand to a smooth finish then polyester glass (being the part) over that, you then melt the foam away after glassing and you can peel the epoxy away leaving a smooth interior finish. If you polish the plug with mold release wax after wet sanding the epoxy it peels away easier. I've made several fuel tanks that way and seems to work OK for me.
Black Sheep is offline Find More Posts by Black Sheep
Last edited by Black Sheep; 04-15-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:49 AM
KAD Laser Cutting
Western, pa, usa
Joined Mar 2006
3,084 Posts
Well, This weekend was one of the "if it can go wrong it will" weekends. I was supposed to have Sat. to work on the Mono and we had some really high winds that blew one of my canopies off my house so I had to fix that. Then I find out that I didn't have another bottle of glue in the freezer like I thought I did. so basically I spent Sat. driving to the hobby shop and hardware store to get stuff and fixing my house. All I got done on the Mono was the hard points for the hinges in the ailerons and the lite ply doublers for the horns. The good news is that I have enough glue now and a new planer that works. What a weekend...
Old 04-18-2011, 02:26 PM
Find More Posts by cavebear
Let the Next Crusade Begin
Donegal, PA
Joined May 2006
116 Posts
I almost got smashed with a big black cherry tree that fell in my yard. That SOB was about 26" in diameter.

I ran like a little girl
cavebear is offline Find More Posts by cavebear
Old 04-18-2011, 03:45 PM
Find More Posts by cmala3
Madison, AL
Joined Feb 2007
321 Posts
Rob,

Tom Phillips sent me the link to this and your build info. Great project. Looking forward to seeing more.

Craig
cmala3 is offline Find More Posts by cmala3
Old 04-18-2011, 04:55 PM
KAD Laser Cutting
Western, pa, usa
Joined Mar 2006
3,084 Posts
Bill,
That suck to loose a tree that big, let alone have it try and take you out with it. I bet that tree would make some nice furniture for sure!

Craig,
Glad to see you got the info from Tom. Welcome to the build!
Old 04-18-2011, 05:10 PM
Find More Posts by MODE 1
Joined Jul 2008
4,715 Posts
Trees need love too
MODE 1 is offline Find More Posts by MODE 1
Old 04-21-2011, 05:04 PM
KAD Laser Cutting
Western, pa, usa
Joined Mar 2006
3,084 Posts
Ok, well I am gonna have to put the Mono build as well as RC on hold for a few weeks. It looks like I gotta get cut open and fixed up. I'll be back at it after I get recovered.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:43 AM
Find More Posts by rcar4
Champaign
Joined Apr 2008
94 Posts
That sucks!! Good luck and take your time, we will be here when you get back!
Ron
rcar4 is offline Find More Posts by rcar4

Quick Reply