logo
Old 03-27-2016, 11:12 PM
Find More Posts by ben_beyer
Notorious B.E.N.
United States, TX, Bryan
Joined Feb 2006
3,968 Posts
Where is everyone buying them these days?

I'd hate to get a discounted motor using Tower coupons and then it not run or is that really not an issue?
ben_beyer is offline Find More Posts by ben_beyer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-27-2016, 11:49 PM
Find More Posts by The Hodge
Skip Model Designs Intl.
Australia, VIC
Joined Mar 2008
4,062 Posts
Hi Guys,

Just wondering what size fuel tubing are you using? and approx flight time with a 50oz tank?

Thank you,
The Hodge is offline Find More Posts by The Hodge
Old 03-28-2016, 12:37 AM
Find More Posts by sthudson
Grants Pass, OR
Joined Sep 2007
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by monarocoupe View Post
Hi Guys,

Just wondering what size fuel tubing are you using? and approx flight time with a 50oz tank?

Thank you,

I use the Dubro Tygon large which I believe is 1/8". I have a 52 oz tank with my timer set at 13 min. I will typically have used only 1/3 of the tank. I could easily fly 20 min with fuel to spare, but I'm always ready to land before that.
sthudson is offline Find More Posts by sthudson
Old 03-28-2016, 01:08 AM
Find More Posts by The Hodge
Skip Model Designs Intl.
Australia, VIC
Joined Mar 2008
4,062 Posts
Thank you for that, maybe i should have got a 40oz tank lol, Well least i can fly for ages Hehe.
The Hodge is offline Find More Posts by The Hodge
Old 03-28-2016, 06:35 AM
Find More Posts by 1bigben
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Nov 2008
769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthudson View Post
I use the Dubro Tygon large which I believe is 1/8". I have a 52 oz tank with my timer set at 13 min. I will typically have used only 1/3 of the tank. I could easily fly 20 min with fuel to spare, but I'm always ready to land before that.
I have only a third or less left after 13 minutes of flying. Left stick dictates what is left so judge yourself based on flying style but the 50 oz is good insurance.
1bigben is offline Find More Posts by 1bigben
Old 03-28-2016, 11:42 AM
Find More Posts by denney47
United States, IN, Columbia City
Joined Jun 2008
963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakken View Post
My brother and i have 5 170s. We really like the performance. Some are going on six years old with a crap load of flights
We are still selling all DLE engines including the 111 and 55cc that some show discontinued? We have them or can get them soon if we are out of stock.
http://www.valleyviewrc.com/estore/gas-engines/dle.html
Thank you
Tom
Valley View RC
www.valleyviewrc.com
denney47 is offline Find More Posts by denney47
Old 03-28-2016, 12:23 PM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
tom...the DLE mufflers have bolts with a taper....do you sell those separately?

thank you
FGNewbie is online now Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 03-29-2016, 11:37 AM
Find More Posts by denney47
United States, IN, Columbia City
Joined Jun 2008
963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGNewbie View Post
tom...the DLE mufflers have bolts with a taper....do you sell those separately?

thank you
Are you looking for the muffler bolts? if so they are m5 and yes we have them.
Let me know the bolts you want please.
Thank you
Tom Denney
Valley View RC
253-875-6890
www.valleyviewrc.com
denney47 is offline Find More Posts by denney47
Old 05-27-2016, 11:38 AM
Find More Posts by JonT
Dorset, UK
Joined Jan 2006
22 Posts
I am running a DLE170 on JMB cans for IMAC and want to use pipes, to save me trawling this whole thread, could anyone tell me their experiences with both RE3's and K&S 1090's. I can get either for a similar price so want to know what the best option is. Looking for more power and good linear throttle response. Thanks.
JonT is offline Find More Posts by JonT
Old 05-27-2016, 11:59 AM
Find More Posts by Cryhavoc38
Living the dream
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Oct 2007
6,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonT View Post
I am running a DLE170 on JMB cans for IMAC and want to use pipes, to save me trawling this whole thread, could anyone tell me their experiences with both RE3's and K&S 1090's. I can get either for a similar price so want to know what the best option is. Looking for more power and good linear throttle response. Thanks.
While I have very little experience with pipes, what I do know is that you would get more power but I'm not sure about a linear throttle response on pipes. Perhaps I need a re education on pipes, but last I knew, Pipes give you a lightswitch effect around mid to 3/4 throttle. Standing by to be corrected if I am wrong.

For Imac, you probably want to stick with a good set of cans and find your power within the tune and prop selection. Are you running a 3 blade? what size?
Cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by Cryhavoc38
Old 05-27-2016, 12:10 PM
Find More Posts by thurmma
United States, AR, Rogers
Joined Jul 2009
299 Posts
I have ran the DLE-170 on RE3's in a 3DHS Extra 330LX and it was nice! I was running a 30x13W Falcon prop and had to really watch the throttle because the Falcon liked to rip easily. Flying the IMAC Intermediate sequence worked out quite well with this combo. I was turning the prop around 5900 on the ground and it would really unload in the air. The transition was smooth enough for me once I swapped the carb for a DA-170 carb. The key is getting the carb set correctly. Make sure you go just a touch rich on the top end. The pipes like a little more gas at the upper rpm and you don't want to go lean on an upline, trust me Been there, done that, not cheap.

If I was still running that same combo I would go with the Mej 30x13EVO to cut down on the sound.
thurmma is offline Find More Posts by thurmma
Last edited by thurmma; 05-27-2016 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Adding data.
Old 05-27-2016, 02:20 PM
Find More Posts by wfield0455
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Oct 2007
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Have you considered Pro Flow Smooth Pipes ? I had a smooth pipe on a 60cc engine and it was very powerful and the throttle response was still very smooth.

Wayne
wfield0455 is offline Find More Posts by wfield0455
Old 05-27-2016, 03:57 PM
Find More Posts by JonT
Dorset, UK
Joined Jan 2006
22 Posts
Thanks for your comments so far.

I have run pipes a lot over the years in IMAC and F3a so don't really have any concerns about getting a decent throttle response, my question was really about real life experience of the 2 brands mentioned to see if one was more suited to the DLE than the other. I know the RE3's work well on the DA though. I am currently running a PT 29 x 12 3 blade which is working well on the cans.

I have read a lot of good reports of the Pro Flow Smooth pipes, but being in the UK I'm not sure about availability here?
Old 05-27-2016, 08:22 PM
Find More Posts by bmclaughlin
United States, TX, Allen
Joined Mar 2008
1,052 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for your comments so far.

I have run pipes a lot over the years in IMAC and F3a so don't really have any concerns about getting a decent throttle response, my question was really about real life experience of the 2 brands mentioned to see if one was more suited to the DLE than the other. I know the RE3's work well on the DA though. I am currently running a PT 29 x 12 3 blade which is working well on the cans.

I have read a lot of good reports of the Pro Flow Smooth pipes, but being in the UK I'm not sure about availability here?
I fly IMAC maneuvers but do not compete. I have 3 DLE 170's and currently have 2 on RE3 pipes. Both on 14 inch headers. I have flown the PT 3B 29X12 on my H9 Sukhoi and it performed well and was quite quiet. Compared to the Mej Evo L 2B 30X13 the has much more thrust and the Sound is very reasonable with throttle management but I did feel the 3 B PT provided a more constant speed through maneuvers. I have never run K&S 1090's or "Smooth Pipes" as my experience with the MTW RE3's have met my expectation. My DLE 170's have never been run on the stock exhausts. Compared to canisters I picked up between 300 to 400 RPM. Falcon 30X13 great performance but noisier that the Mej. One of mine has a Walbro carb but runs identical to the other 2. Don't have the link but there is an engine test thread on RC Canucks where Trevor Brum did header length testing with RE 3's and suggests that a slightly shorter header in the 13 to 13.5 (if I recall correctly) range might produce more power and still be linear. The RE3's are smaller in Diameter but as I recall a little longer and lighter than the 1090's so for me were easier to fit into the airframes I installed in.
bmclaughlin is online now Find More Posts by bmclaughlin
Old 05-28-2016, 02:05 AM
Find More Posts by JonT
Dorset, UK
Joined Jan 2006
22 Posts
Thanks bm that's exactly the info I was after, mine's in a H9 Suk as well and it just needs a bit more grunt for some of the figures in the Unlimited sequence. The fact the RE3's are lighter is a factor as well.

Anyone have any experience with the 1090's before I order?

Quick Reply