logo
Old 05-15-2006, 05:53 PM
Find More Posts by TonyThomasian
Rollin', Rollin', and Rollin'
Tigard,Oregon
Joined Jan 2006
2,432 Posts
I need help with imac.

I am planning to go to my first imac contest this year at Mollala Oregon, but i dont know too much about the rules and sequences. I would like to do the beginners class. I need someone to write down all of the manuevers in the sequence in order from take-off to the end. Also Rules that i'm supposed to follow.?.? And also in freestyle, do you just make up your own sequence? I would enter with a 3m extra 330.
thanx
TonyThomasian is offline Find More Posts by TonyThomasian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-15-2006, 06:28 PM
Find More Posts by Roger Russell
Jacksonville, Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
475 Posts
Re: I need help with imac.

I forget where I got these, this is a start for you.

The 2006 Known sequences

Basic Sportsman Intermediate Advanced Unlimited

Basic:
1- One roll from upright to upright.
2- Pull to Vertical, pull half inside loop, 1/2 roll on the vertical downline, pull to upright exit.
3- Pull to 45, 1/2 roll, pull 5/8 inside loop, exit upright.
4- Pull inside loop.
5- Pull vertical, stall turn, vertical downline, pull to upright exit.
6- Pull 45 upline, 1/2 roll, pull to vertical downline, pull to upright exit.
7- Pull vertical, pull 3/4 inside loop, exit upright
8- Pull 5/8 inside loop to a 45 downline, 1/2 roll, pull to upright exit.
9- Pull 1/2 inside loop, 1/2 roll, exit upright.
10- 1-1/2 positive spin, pull to exit upright.

Sportsman:
1- Pull vertical, 2 points of an 8 point roll, Stall turn, vertical downline with a 3/4 roll, pull to upright exit.
2- straight line, 1/2 roll to inverted, push 5/8 outside loop to a 45 downline, 1 positive snap, pull to upright exit.
3- Pull 1/2 inside loop, 1/2 roll, exit upright.
4- 1-1/4 positive spin, exit upright cross box.
5- Pull to vertical. 2 points of a 4 point roll, push 1/2 outside loop, vertical downline with 1/4 roll, pull to upright exit.
6- Pull to vertical upline, One roll, Pull to inverted exit.
7- From inverted, 2 point roll back to inverted, pull 1/2 inside loop, exit upright.
8- Pull 1 inside loop with one full roll at the top, exit upright
9- Pull 135 degrees to a 45 upline, 2 points of a 4 point roll, push to upright exit.
10- From upright, 1/2 roll to inverted, pull 3/4 inside loop to a vertical upline, 3/4 roll, push to upright cross box exit.

Intermediate:
1- Pull 7/8 inside loop to a 45 degree downline, 1/2 roll, push to inverted exit.
2- Push to a 45 degree upline, 2 point roll, push 5/8 outside loop to a vertical downline, one positive snap, pull to upright exit.
3- Pull vertical upline, pull to a 45 degree downline, 4 points of an 8 point roll, pull to upright exit.
4- Pull vertical upline, 1-1/2 rolls, Stall turn, vertical downline, 2 points of a 4 point roll, pull to upright exit.
5- Pull to 45 upline, 1 roll, push to a vertical downline, 1/4 roll, opposite direction 3/4 roll, pull to upright exit.
6- Pull to vertical upline, 3/4 roll, pull 1/2 inside loop (X-box), Vertical downline with 1-1/4 rolls, pull to upright exit.
7- Pull to 45 upline, 1 positive snap, push 3/4 outside loop to a 45 degree upline, 4 point roll, pull to inverted exit.
8- Pull to a 45 degree downline, one negative snap, pull 1/2 inside loop to a 45 degree upline, 1 roll, push to upright exit.
9- 1-1/4 positive spin, exit cross box upright.
10- 1 roll to the inside of a 90 degree heading change, exit upright.

Advanced:
1- Pull to vertical, 3 points of a 4 point roll, stall turn, vertical downline with a 2 point roll, push to inverted cross box exit.
2- From inverted, 270 degree rolling circle with 3 rolls to the inside, exit inverted.
3- Push to a 45 upline, 1 roll, push to upright exit.
4- Push 1/2 outside loop, 1/2 roll, opposite direction 1 positive snap, pull 1/2 inside loop, exit inverted.
5- Pull to a vertical downline, 3/4 roll, opposite direction 3/4 negative snap, Pull to a 45 degree upline, 3 points of a 2 point roll, pull to inverted exit.
6- 1-1/2 negative spin, push to inverted exit.
7- Push to vertical upline, 1/4 roll, opposite direction 1 positive snap, Pull 1/2 inside loop (X-Box), vertical downline, 1-1/4 negative snaps, pull to upright exit.
8- Pull to 45 upline, 1 positive snap, opposite direction 1/2 roll, Pull 3/4 inside loop to a 45 upline, 1/4 roll, opposite direction 3/4 roll, pull to inverted exit.
9- Pull to a 45 downline, 1-1/2 negative snaps, pull 1/2 inside loop to a 45 upline, 1-1/2 rolls, push to upright exit.
10- 1-1/2 positive snaps, pull 1/2 inside loop, 8 point roll, exit upright.

Unlimited:
1- Pull 135 degrees to a 45 upline, 2 points of a 4 point roll, opposite direction 2 point roll, push to a vertical downline, 1 negative snap, push to inverted exit.
2- Push to a 45 upline, 3/4 negative snap, opposite direction 3 points of a 4 point roll, pull 3/4 inside loop to a 45 upline, 1-1/2 rolls, pull to inverted exit.
3- 1 roll, pull 1/2 inside loop, 8 point roll, exit upright.
4- Pull vertical, 1-1/2 negative snaps, stall turn, vertical downline with 1 positive snap, opposite direction 1/2 roll, pull to upright exit.
5- Pull vertical upline, 3 points of a 2 point roll, pull 3/4 inside loop with 1 positive snap on top, 2 points of a 4 point roll, exit inverted.
6- 1-1/4 negative spin, vertical downline, 1/2 inside loop (X-Box), vertical upline, 6 points of an 8 point roll, push to upright exit.
7- Push to vertical downline, 2 point roll, pull to a 45 dgeree upline, 1 roll, push to a vertical downline, 2 negative snaps, push to inverted exit.
8- From inverted, 180 degree heading change with 1 roll to the inside, 180 degree heading change with 1 roll to the outside, exit inverted.
9- Push to 45 upline, 1 roll, opposite direction 1/2 roll, push 5/8 outside loop,1 negative snap, exit inverted.
10- 3 points of a 4 point roll, opposite direction 1-3/4 positive snap, exit inverted.
Roger Russell is offline Find More Posts by Roger Russell
Old 05-15-2006, 06:32 PM
Find More Posts by sweetpea
If you can't HUCK it BLING IT!
United States, OH, Lebanon
Joined Jan 2006
11,244 Posts

I've got a Dean's Helpful hints in word and some cards for you.....sent a PM
sweetpea is offline Find More Posts by sweetpea
Old 05-15-2006, 07:03 PM
Tigard,Oregon
Joined Jan 2006
2,432 Posts

thanx very much Roger and sweetpea
Old 05-15-2006, 07:36 PM
Find More Posts by Shawn Berkheimer
Joined Jan 2006
642 Posts

Tony, most contests don't offer the freestyle. What I would suggest the next time you go out flying would be to just practice 1/2 cuban eights and 1/2 reverse cuban eights. Work on keeping your airplane at the same line within the box and establishing your 45 degree lines. This is actually more difficult than it sounds. Once you have this mastered the basic sequence will be a snap for you. What I see way too often in basic:

1. The airplane is flown way too colse in and too fast
2. The airplane is not flown paralell to the runway.
3. Airplanes wings are not level at the beginning of a manuver.
4. Rolls on a line are not centered.
5. Lines are not defined and/or not held long enough

A good example would be the 1/2 cuban eight. Here is what a judge would want to see.

Entry line is level, no climbing/diving, wings are level and airplane is paralell to ruway about 200 to 300 feet out 1/3 to 1/2 power.

Airplane begins the 5/8 loop while power is smoothly applied, as airplane reaches 1/4 loop it has not yawed one way or the other, as the airplane comes over the top of the loop the wings are level, still no yaw and the power is being reduced. As the airplane reaches an inverted 45 degree downline the wings are still level, power is at idle and the 45 degree downline is locked and flown for a 2 count. 1/2 roll is performed and stop wings level while airplane is still at 45 degree downline that lasts another 2 count. Pullout is performed as 1/2 power is reapplied. Pullout is level, paralell and has no bobble.

The key is practice, preferably with a coach that knows the criteria and don't be afraid to try new settings with the airplane. Most new guys are running way too much throw and not enough Expo.

Shawn
Shawn Berkheimer is offline Find More Posts by Shawn Berkheimer
Old 05-15-2006, 09:03 PM
Tigard,Oregon
Joined Jan 2006
2,432 Posts

Thanx for the very helpful tips shawn!
Old 05-15-2006, 09:45 PM
Find More Posts by sweetpea
If you can't HUCK it BLING IT!
United States, OH, Lebanon
Joined Jan 2006
11,244 Posts

Wings level and parallel to the runway have to be the hardest. You'll have to retrain the way you fly, because what you think wings level is usually inside wing down. So when you pull for your uplines....immediatly your crooked and need rudder to fix. Giving away points before you start.

Don't be afraid to practice in some wind, contests are usually windy also.

You'll learn that you really suck at flying to what you think your at. NO worries, we were all there or still are.
sweetpea is offline Find More Posts by sweetpea
Old 05-16-2006, 07:50 AM
Find More Posts by DKnippen
In The Box
bloomingdale, IL USA
Joined Mar 2006
1,478 Posts

Tony,
If you go to the web site www.mini-iac.com you can find out just about everything you want to know about your region, rules , contest and a very good discription of Basic and Sportsman, and you don't have to be a member. I believe your located in the North West Region.
Dan
DKnippen is offline Find More Posts by DKnippen
Old 05-21-2006, 08:30 PM
Tigard,Oregon
Joined Jan 2006
2,432 Posts

My other question is that i want to go to my first imac contest in Mollala Oregon this summer, and I'm kinda lost. As in when i have to sign up?, What i have to take with me?, And also do the routines i have to fly be in order, and be back to back to each other, or could I do a manuver from the routine and then do something else thats not in the routine, and then go with the next manuver that in the routine?
thanx
Old 05-21-2006, 09:23 PM
Joined Jan 2006
642 Posts

Tony, this is pretty much what that first day should be like.

Get to the field with plenty of time to get all set up at a casual pace. You don't need to be rushing around like crazy just before you fly. When the CD announces that regestration is open go and regester. This will entail paying the entry fee ( 40.00 or 50.00 ) signing an AMA waiver and sign-up sheet. While you are there pick up 2 copies of your score sheets and fill them out so they are ready to go for your first round. Walk around and make some new friends. 99.9% of IMAC guys are very friendly and helpful. Explain to them that this is going to be your first contest and ask them if they would mind lending a hand. Usually during the pilots meeting the CD will ask if there are any newcomers. He will then ask if anyone would like to step up and show the new guys the ropes. After the pilots meeting take note of the flying order. Usually there will be a stick at each flight line with a bunch of clothespins on it. The clothespins will have names written on them and will be arranged in the flying order. Make sure your airplane is fueled and ready, you are ready ( comfortable, sunglasses, try to relax ) When the guy flying in front of you is halfway through his second sequence you should start up and take to the sky. At this point you want to fly out and away from everyone else. When it is your turn, your caller will guide you to where you need to stand. He will hand your score sheets to the judges/scribes and then come back to you. When you are ready to start your sequence he will notify the judges when you enter the box. You caller will guide you through the sequence that has to be flown in exact order. First will be a center manuver ( Roll in this case ) followed by an end turn around manuver so on and so forth until the complete sequence is finished. Try to fly at a moderate pace. Most new guys thend to fly too close in and too fast. After that first sequence is done, take one trim pass to settle your nerves and do it all over again. After the second sequence, land and whipe the sweat from your face, you have just finished the most difficult flight of your life. Take your airplane back to the pits, fuel it up, check your batteries and fill out 2 more score sheets you will need to fly again in about 3 hours. Between rounds try to relax, go over your flight with your caller and volenteer to scribe for some of the higher classes as it will teach you lots about what the judges are looking for.

Shawn

R/C Blimp Productions - Home
Old 05-21-2006, 09:31 PM
Tigard,Oregon
Joined Jan 2006
2,432 Posts

sweet! thanx very much for your time! So is it not OK to do manuvers that arent in the sequence, right?
Old 05-21-2006, 09:55 PM
Joined Jan 2006
642 Posts

Once you are in the box any additional manuvers will be scored a zero as well as any of the following manuvers, even if they are the correct ones beacuse they will then be flown out of order.

Shawn
Old 05-21-2006, 10:47 PM
Tigard,Oregon
Joined Jan 2006
2,432 Posts

ohhhhh....
thanx
Old 01-17-2008, 11:32 AM
Find More Posts by TREY H
SHREVEPORT, LA
Joined Nov 2006
60 Posts

Last year was my first try at imac when you get to the field just ask anybody what to do, I found the imac group of guys very helpful they stick together and are allways willing to help out anybody just starting out. Its a great group to get involved with.
TREY H is offline Find More Posts by TREY H

Quick Reply