Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > Gas Engines
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 02-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #31
JKimberly
Flyin' Around

Thanks Steve, that makes sense about having equal pressure around the circumfrence of the fuel line. Looks like I have my work cut out for me when I return home.

Jkosh, Thanks for sharing the video. Yes it does seem under powered but as he said it is a new engine. I'm sure it performed better once the engine was broke in.
JKimberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:06 AM   #32
pe reivers
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

Quote: Originally Posted by orthobird
View Post
also, you do not want to tune engine to max rpm, as PE REIVERS has mentioned. if possible, use a tach, once you get max rpm, then open needle bit more to richen it so RPM decreases by 100 rpm or so. reason being, among other things, is that once plane is up in air, and different loads are applied to prop, the engine may work more and get hotter at times, then it may lean out to some extent, so you want to be ahead of that curve. you do not want it to be lean, and then lean more up in air, then you get dead stick.
This is true for glow engines which lean out in flight. Not so for gas engines with pumper carbs, which are already set quite rich if on the verge of rpm drop.
Get rid of that 100 rpm drop myth please.
Now, if you hurt your engine by lack of cooling, the extra rich setting which causes rpm drop will save the day, because of the extra internal cooling you provide. Here the error is in the cooling , to be corrected by carb settings.

To all:
MVVS engines do not gain rpm when running in, due to the special slippery piston coating. They also do gain nothing by using less oil than 1:40. best power is at 1:33 (3% oil)
www.mvvs.nl
www.prme.nl/forum/

Last edited by pe reivers; 02-06-2013 at 05:14 AM.
pe reivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #33
antique
Older than dirt

From THE expert on MVVS, anyone else is guessing
Old 02-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #34
aussiesteve
Clothed Account

Quote: Originally Posted by antique
View Post
From THE expert on MVVS, anyone else is guessing
+ many (because 1 is not enough)

Pe is without a doubt the authority on MVVS (and most other engines in fact as the principles remain the same for most) and he is part of the reason that my signature line discusses supplier quality. (you Ralph are another reason for the immense support you have given your products over the years). My own experiences have also taught me that Pe knows more about the practicalities of the brand than the factory itself.

People such as Pe & Ralph (and DA - because this is FG after all ) who make the effort to learn their products inside and out can then provide accurate and proper support - it makes a HUGE difference to the end users and they should be the ones we support when making a purchasing decision because it is likely to be them who we turn to for help later.

Last edited by aussiesteve; 02-06-2013 at 05:21 PM.
aussiesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:08 AM   #35
pe reivers
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

Thanks guys.
www.mvvs.nl
www.prme.nl/forum/
pe reivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:18 PM   #36
mikmerl
Gettin' Lower!

Hear, hear.

Accurate, relevant advice always from the aforementioned gentlemen.
An asset to our hobby.

mike