logo
Old 06-26-2013, 10:13 PM
Find More Posts by Mikeq
Darned Spoilsport
United States, AR, Maumelle
Joined Oct 2011
2,253 Posts
If you try a new IBEC and it still does it it would have to be the rx I would think if all other possibilities have been eliminated.
Mikeq is offline Find More Posts by Mikeq
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-26-2013, 10:13 PM
Find More Posts by orthobird
I used to hammer at 1500 feet
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Apr 2012
9,044 Posts
the IBEC that is in her now is also brand new.
orthobird is offline Find More Posts by orthobird
Old 06-26-2013, 10:15 PM
Joined Apr 2012
9,044 Posts
also, i have the same receiver and same set up, in another airplane with a da 120, and never had a problem, the only difference is the airplane with the 120 cc uses two life batteries that are over 5000 mAh each, that connect into the JR 922x
Old 06-26-2013, 10:24 PM
Find More Posts by RC_Feen
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Sep 2010
1,118 Posts
I'm thinking electrical connections. I would inspect the connectors and make sure you don't have any wires that are being pulled out of the pins within the connectors. If you eliminate the IBEC from the circuit and the engine runs fine then that's the source of the problem (IBEC). Then I would check the leads from the IBEC and every electrical connection the IBEC interfaces with your RX and packs. If you have a volt meter I would check the continuity of the leads from the IBEC and when your checking the leads I would try to move the leads around and see if there is a open in the circuit.
RC_Feen is offline Find More Posts by RC_Feen
Old 06-26-2013, 10:25 PM
Find More Posts by Mikeq
Darned Spoilsport
Joined Oct 2011
2,253 Posts
Don't know...do you have another ignition to check. Might hook an amp meter between your IBEC and ignition or a Y connector and check the voltage while its misfiring to see if it drops or jumps erratically. If you already tried another IBEC and it still does it that can't be the problem
Old 06-26-2013, 10:36 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Sep 2010
1,118 Posts
orthobird....I can't remember but did you have a 91" Extra go down that you had to replace? If so are you using some of the equipment in your new build/plane? If so I would start looking at those components.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:15 PM
Joined Apr 2012
9,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Feen View Post
orthobird....I can't remember but did you have a 91" Extra go down that you had to replace? If so are you using some of the equipment in your new build/plane? If so I would start looking at those components.
yes, this is it, but that plane went down due to bad transmitter. since then, (or, should i say, as a result of), i have obtained a DX 18.
the airplane, immediately after take off, went into safe mode, and it went into low idle, flew over a lake, and went into a tree. the tree damaged the wings and not the fuselage, the airplane landed or bounced off a cow before landing on all 3 over a pasture area.
i believe it was a somewhat relatively speaking, soft landing, as far as other crashes go.
i have tested the servos, and had to replace one of the servos. all the other ones work great. the receiver seems to work, except the IBEC problem.
update, just came back inside my house from the garage, where i was looking things over as suggested by Rob and others. there appears to be a small nick in one of the leads that goes from the sensor to the CDI. i have removed this segment , cut it out, and used my handy dandy tool to re-crimp a new JR type connector. this is tight. also, i noted, that between the cdi and the IBEC lead, i had made a extension, connector, that both sides were female, due to the CDI batt being male and the IBEC CDI lead being male. i cut the CDI lead, and again, crimped on the male JR connector, removing excess wiring, and decreasing areas of possible failure. will retest tomorrow.

will test it again, and if it hiccups, i will do test with direct battery connection. lets see what happens.

if it still hiccups, i will change out the receiver.

thanks for all suggestions.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:50 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Sep 2010
1,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthobird View Post
yes, this is it, but that plane went down due to bad transmitter. since then, (or, should i say, as a result of), i have obtained a DX 18.
the airplane, immediately after take off, went into safe mode, and it went into low idle, flew over a lake, and went into a tree. the tree damaged the wings and not the fuselage, the airplane landed or bounced off a cow before landing on all 3 over a pasture area.
i believe it was a somewhat relatively speaking, soft landing, as far as other crashes go.
i have tested the servos, and had to replace one of the servos. all the other ones work great. the receiver seems to work, except the IBEC problem.
update, just came back inside my house from the garage, where i was looking things over as suggested by Rob and others. there appears to be a small nick in one of the leads that goes from the sensor to the CDI. i have removed this segment , cut it out, and used my handy dandy tool to re-crimp a new JR type connector. this is tight. also, i noted, that between the cdi and the IBEC lead, i had made a extension, connector, that both sides were female, due to the CDI batt being male and the IBEC CDI lead being male. i cut the CDI lead, and again, crimped on the male JR connector, removing excess wiring, and decreasing areas of possible failure. will retest tomorrow.

will test it again, and if it hiccups, i will do test with direct battery connection. lets see what happens.

if it still hiccups, i will change out the receiver.

thanks for all suggestions.
Great! Sounds like you have a plan! Electrical problems are a pain in the a$$. Only way to troubleshoot them is by eliminating components from the circuit and testing. Wish you the best of luck! Don't overlook the obvious and go over everything with a fine tooth comb. Since you said you changed to the DX18 since the crash have you gone over/review your radio setup and make sure you don't have something enabled/disabled that is contributing to your issue? Fail-safe setup correctly? I've scratched my head a few times during radio setup when things didn't go as I thought they should have. You'll fine the root cause! DX18 Manuel is your friend..lol!
Last edited by RC_Feen; 06-27-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:59 PM
Joined Apr 2012
9,044 Posts
yes, that was in the back of my mind, if possibly the transmitter was doing it, but then, it would not be erratic. if there was a problem with Tx, i would imagine, it would either work or not work. so , i don't know yet.

let you know tomorrow.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:23 PM
Joined Apr 2012
9,044 Posts
Great great news!!!
update...
i took her just now, outside my garage, on my carpet, just kidding, on my driveway
and cranked her up.
noticed, problem persisted, since corrections i made last night.
so, i almost put her away, when i said, hey, wait a minute, let me do something else.

so i disconnected IBEC, and i plugged a life battery directly to CDI
and BAM, no more hiccups or backfires!!!
YEAH!!!

so then, i said, let me connect the unusued IBEC
and what i did was connect the brand new IBEC directly into my receiver aux 2 and connect direct other end to the CDI, without any extensions.

cranked her one, and BAM!! no more hiccuping!!

so, i said, hey, i know it is not any electrical problem distal to plug in on CDI side, and i know it is not a problem with the receiver side,

so next step, i connected the installed IBEC directly to receiver, removing the extension, and BAM!!!!
now the problem is solved!!

amazing, the extension was the problem. i inspected it, and do not see any nicks or cracks in it, but i do notice that it is smalled gauge wire than the IBEC leads.
so that may be the problem

anyways, now i am good

thank you all for the advice!!!

BAM!!!
Old 06-27-2013, 07:25 PM
Joined Apr 2012
9,044 Posts
this is the extension i was using (not anymore!!!)
this was probably the reason i had problems with my sparkswitch as well, since i used the same lead from the sparkswitch as an extension.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:47 PM
Find More Posts by Mikeq
Darned Spoilsport
Joined Oct 2011
2,253 Posts
Glad you figured out the problem Ortho...Left alone it could have resulted in a disaster. Those extensions are probably massed produced with no or very little quality control. I have had Spektrum rxs bad right out of the box and highly suspected it might be your problem but glad it wasn't the culprit.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:11 PM
ant
Find More Posts by ant
ant
United States, RI
Joined Apr 2011
1,735 Posts
Awesome ! That plane has been grounded long enough.
ant is offline Find More Posts by ant
Old 06-29-2013, 05:39 PM
Joined Apr 2012
9,044 Posts
today was her re-maiden. went real slow and flew her for 5 minutes
i noticed that the rudder seemed to cycle right left when i flew her low and slow,
don't know if it was my thumb or something else.
i brought her back down, and then i checked the rudder with radio on, to see if pull pull were lax.
hard to say.

you be the judge:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WG7JXhoTis
Old 06-29-2013, 08:52 PM
Find More Posts by Mikeq
Darned Spoilsport
Joined Oct 2011
2,253 Posts
Hummm that's a strange phenomenon... your throttle/rudder stick was untouched and the rudder was oscillating back and forth searching for center???? Never seen that happen on a single servo. Has to be something going on with your receiver I would think.. Dang Ortho you have had some bizarre things occur with that bird since the crash. I'm beginning to think it must be demon possessed

Quick Reply