Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

 

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > Build Threads
Forgot your password? Create a new account


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #61
cbarnes0061
Bad-ass Super Contributor!
 
cbarnes0061's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: United States, VA, Petersburg
Posts: 2,032
Default

Quote: Originally Posted by lakerider8
View Post
Actually I'm waiting for the DLE55 and servos right now. I'm also making some changes in the plans to make the production kit a bit simpler to build. The engine and servos should be here monday, and I'll get it together for a maiden flight very soon.
Well we are all paitently waiting, that things looks awesome, and If I could convince my wife I might be interesetd in one one it becomes available. For the time I'm going to enjoy building this Cap.
__________________
Chris

"Fly on Sunday rebuild on Monday"

You will be missed SleepyC http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=91372
cbarnes0061 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #62
lakerider8
Fast Planes,Sleds,and Boats.
 
lakerider8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Clinton,Iowa
Posts: 1,214
Default

Quote: Originally Posted by wecoyote
View Post
Any approximation on when the kits will be available?
Not to hijack Chris' thread here but it will should be mid-summer. We have to get the test flights all dialed in on mine and then build/fly a kit version. busy,busy.
lakerider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #63
cbarnes0061
Bad-ass Super Contributor!
 
cbarnes0061's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: United States, VA, Petersburg
Posts: 2,032
Default

Quote: Originally Posted by lakerider8
View Post
Not to hijack Chris' thread here but it will should be mid-summer. We have to get the test flights all dialed in on mine and then build/fly a kit version. busy,busy.
Hijack my thread all you want, its great to have such a skilled builder as yourself following and commenting on my thread.
__________________
Chris

"Fly on Sunday rebuild on Monday"

You will be missed SleepyC http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=91372
cbarnes0061 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #64
cbarnes0061
Bad-ass Super Contributor!
 
cbarnes0061's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: United States, VA, Petersburg
Posts: 2,032
Default

Well I won't be starting the build this weekend. Spoke with the people at nationalbalsa.com and my order won't be shipped out until early next week. I guess the shipping map that says 2 day delivery to my area means 2 days after it is shipped out, but I am a patient man and still will be ordering from them again to get the rest of my balsa and possibly the servo's as they carry the Savox servo's unless my local hobby shop can get them.
__________________
Chris

"Fly on Sunday rebuild on Monday"

You will be missed SleepyC http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=91372
cbarnes0061 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #65
cbarnes0061
Bad-ass Super Contributor!
 
cbarnes0061's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: United States, VA, Petersburg
Posts: 2,032
Default

Ok everyone where is the best place to purchase my landing gear and wing tube?
__________________
Chris

"Fly on Sunday rebuild on Monday"

You will be missed SleepyC http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=91372
cbarnes0061 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #66
Timber
Doo It! Doo It!
 
Timber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: United States, IL, Hoffman Estates
Age: 54
Posts: 177
Default

I had landing made for me here http://tntlandinggear.com/ They did right by me.
__________________


Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:31 PM   #67
lakerider8
Fast Planes,Sleds,and Boats.
 
lakerider8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Clinton,Iowa
Posts: 1,214
Default

I used TnT for the CF wing and stab tubes on my Chipmunk and other projects this winter.
lakerider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #68
cbarnes0061
Bad-ass Super Contributor!
 
cbarnes0061's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: United States, VA, Petersburg
Posts: 2,032
Default

Looked at TnT's website and I like what I see prices pretty reasonable on wing tubes and I will have to figure out the dimensions of the LG and get a quote.
__________________
Chris

"Fly on Sunday rebuild on Monday"

You will be missed SleepyC http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=91372
cbarnes0061 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #69
cbarnes0061
Bad-ass Super Contributor!
 
cbarnes0061's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: United States, VA, Petersburg
Posts: 2,032
Default

OK next question for everybody, I have never done any fiber glassing before and I plan on building my own cowl. I have pleanty of scrap foam around the house to build up and shape it right but I am lost when it comes to glassing it and don't want to over do it. What weight glass cloth should I use how many layers and resin and where is the best place to get it from?
__________________
Chris

"Fly on Sunday rebuild on Monday"

You will be missed SleepyC http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=91372
cbarnes0061 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #70
lakerider8
Fast Planes,Sleds,and Boats.
 
lakerider8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Clinton,Iowa
Posts: 1,214
Default

Quote: Originally Posted by cbarnes0061
View Post
OK next question for everybody, I have never done any fiber glassing before and I plan on building my own cowl. I have pleanty of scrap foam around the house to build up and shape it right but I am lost when it comes to glassing it and don't want to over do it. What weight glass cloth should I use how many layers and resin and where is the best place to get it from?

Just my 2 cents worth,but I would see if someone makes a cowl that would fit the CAP or at least be real close. It's easier to change the fuse a bit if need be than make a cowling. On my Chipmunk, I made and glassed the plug. It was lots of work and if I would have not had most of the materials on hand ,would have cost more than just buying one. You could form one from foam,glass it,finish it with body filler,then melt out the foam,but it would be heavy,and require good skills to get it shaped and smoothed out straight. Shaped balsa would be another way to do it.
lakerider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #71
cbarnes0061
Bad-ass Super Contributor!
 
cbarnes0061's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: United States, VA, Petersburg
Posts: 2,032
Default

Quote: Originally Posted by lakerider8
View Post
Just my 2 cents worth,but I would see if someone makes a cowl that would fit the CAP or at least be real close. It's easier to change the fuse a bit if need be than make a cowling. On my Chipmunk, I made and glassed the plug. It was lots of work and if I would have not had most of the materials on hand ,would have cost more than just buying one. You could form one from foam,glass it,finish it with body filler,then melt out the foam,but it would be heavy,and require good skills to get it shaped and smoothed out straight. Shaped balsa would be another way to do it.
Yes I realize that would be easier and I might still do that but I'm working with a tight budget so thats why I'm interested in making my own. Plus I work a 12 hour roting night shift so on my nights off I stay on a night schedule so I have lots of free time to screw around with it.
__________________
Chris

"Fly on Sunday rebuild on Monday"

You will be missed SleepyC http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=91372
cbarnes0061 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #72
rcpilot82
It's Sooo Fluffy!!
 
rcpilot82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Western, pa, usa
Posts: 3,062
Default

Quote: Originally Posted by cbarnes0061
View Post
OK next question for everybody, I have never done any fiber glassing before and I plan on building my own cowl. I have pleanty of scrap foam around the house to build up and shape it right but I am lost when it comes to glassing it and don't want to over do it. What weight glass cloth should I use how many layers and resin and where is the best place to get it from?
Just put that part on hold for now. If I ever get time I have been working on a plug for the cowl.
__________________
KUSTOM AERO DESIGNS
http://kustomaerodesign.weebly.com/index.html

Laser Cutting & Engraving Services
From Prototype to Production
rcpilot82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #73
cbarnes0061
Bad-ass Super Contributor!
 
cbarnes0061's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: United States, VA, Petersburg
Posts: 2,032
Default

Quote: Originally Posted by rcpilot82
View Post
Just put that part on hold for now. If I ever get time I have been working on a plug for the cowl.
yea I'm not planning on doing it soon just trying to do all my research. If I build my own cowl it will wait till the fuse is @100% so I can get the cowl made as tight the the fuse as poss.
__________________
Chris

"Fly on Sunday rebuild on Monday"

You will be missed SleepyC http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=91372
cbarnes0061 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #74
lakerider8
Fast Planes,Sleds,and Boats.
 
lakerider8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Clinton,Iowa
Posts: 1,214
Default

Quote: Originally Posted by rcpilot82
View Post
Just put that part on hold for now. If I ever get time I have been working on a plug for the cowl.
An even better solution
lakerider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #75
cbarnes0061
Bad-ass Super Contributor!
 
cbarnes0061's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: United States, VA, Petersburg
Posts: 2,032
Default

Got some good shots at the field this weekend. The pic of the FUNCUB was pure luck. I was snapping shots of a slow flyby when he said I think i lost my prop. Got home that evening and looking through the pics and found it. the advantages of a 16 megapixel camera as that is cropped in at least 3 times the original and it still looks great.The 50cc Trojan looks and sounds great, and thats me with my little house of balsa kit I built.
Attached Thumbnails
  • Click image for larger version

Name:	fun cub edit.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	462827 14.8 KB · Views: 67

  • Click image for larger version

Name:	trojan edit 1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	462828 21.5 KB · Views: 43

  • Click image for larger version

Name:	trojan edit 2.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	462829 46.9 KB · Views: 51

  • Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2464.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	462830 17.6 KB · Views: 47

  • Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5570.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	462831 73.2 KB · Views: 65

  • Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5571.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	462832 68.9 KB · Views: 58

__________________
Chris

"Fly on Sunday rebuild on Monday"

You will be missed SleepyC http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=91372
cbarnes0061 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 AM.

All Flyinggiants.com content copyright 2006-2014 by RCGroups.com, LLC except where otherwise indicated. The Flyinggiants.com logo is a trademark of RCGroups.com, LLC.
Please report any misuse of our trademarks or copyright violations using the contact form.
RCGroups Network :: RCGroups :: Crackroll :: RC Cars

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.