logo
Old 02-04-2012, 08:41 PM
Find More Posts by Revy
Revelstoke, BC
Joined Dec 2009
988 Posts
Nice looking machine! That was the scheme I was leaning towards before I went with the PMR scheme.

Haven't found the time to get at it during the last 24hrs. Kind of a zoo around here!
Revy is offline Find More Posts by Revy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-04-2012, 10:09 PM
Find More Posts by IBTRIN
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2007
451 Posts
HEY SOLO, if you don't have a manual, download one from CHIEF. The maual shows a pretty good way to build a tray for batteries and stuff that mounts close to the firewall. pretty nice.
IBTRIN is offline Find More Posts by IBTRIN
Old 02-04-2012, 11:20 PM
Find More Posts by Solo 56
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2009
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBTRIN View Post
HEY SOLO, if you don't have a manual, download one from CHIEF. The maual shows a pretty good way to build a tray for batteries and stuff that mounts close to the firewall. pretty nice.
Thanks, but the manual came in the deal. I already made the tray (slightly longer than what they call out) but won't install it until I get the engine set-up completed. I borrowed a DA-100 to do the initial layout but I had to give it back (don't you hate it when they want their engine back). As soon as Chief sends me the engine, I can get to work on placing everything. I need to set up the spacer length for the engine mount I'm using then I can sort out CG.
I just finished installing one of the fuel dots and I'll get to the other one on Monday (Super Bowl Party tomorrow).
I also got some White Rose Eng. wheels and axels in the bargain which look really good. I'm experimenting with tinting the canopy. I tried a test today with a scrap piece and it didn't tint at all.....oh well, I'll just keep adding more tint to the mix.

Thanks again, I'll try to post more pictures as I continue the build.
Solo 56 is offline Find More Posts by Solo 56
Last edited by Solo 56; 02-04-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Find More Posts by Revy
Revelstoke, BC
Joined Dec 2009
988 Posts
I have the grade 8 bolts that came with the kit and the GP 1/4" spring steel axles. The GP axles need a fairly large hole. That doesn't leave much meat left on the gear. Do the WR axles need the same 7/16 hole, Solo?
Old 02-05-2012, 11:58 AM
Find More Posts by TimSmith
Account Closed
Joined Dec 2007
1,901 Posts
Right on Revy Congradulations on reciving it undamaged. Have fun building her.
TimSmith is offline Find More Posts by TimSmith
Old 02-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Account Closed
Joined Dec 2007
1,901 Posts
I am curious Revy ,could you give us a pre built weight?
Old 02-05-2012, 01:07 PM
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2009
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revy View Post
I have the grade 8 bolts that came with the kit and the GP 1/4" spring steel axles. The GP axles need a fairly large hole. That doesn't leave much meat left on the gear. Do the WR axles need the same 7/16 hole, Solo?
The white Rose axels take a 5/16th hole. They're made from titanium and use C- clips to lock the wheels on the axel instead of the usual collars and set screws. There's still plenty of meat on the gear after drilling the mount hole for the axel. They're really nice pieces but a little pricey. I got them from the friend that sold me the plane.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:14 PM
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2007
451 Posts
Made a little headway this weekend. With the batteries, ignition, ignition battery eliminator, and throttle servo mounted in the forward tray. I decided to move the fuel tank tray off of the wing tube to allow easy access to these items. I built a mount for the fuel tray to bolt in, and added some carbon tubing to add a little strength. Going to add a mount for the rear of fuel tray to attach to rudder mounts after final CG.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:43 PM
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2009
173 Posts
Hey IBTRIN, that color scheme looks familiar.....good choice! I'm also looking at mounting the tanks (gas & smoke) below the spar...it gives a lot more room to get to the back of the firewall for batteries, etc.. I'm thinking of mounting the rudder servo in the stock location but I need to get the engine, so I can set things up and do a rough CG....

It's hard to tell from the picture but I just noticed something, your tank mount looks like its forward of the spar, is that going to change the flight characteristics as the fuel load goes down?

Looks good, keep the pictures coming!
Last edited by Solo 56; 02-06-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:58 PM
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2007
451 Posts
Yea the picture does make it look forward. didn't notice till you said that.
Actually it is a little forward if you take your tank tray and butt it up against the landing gear bulkhead, that is where it is actaully at. Maybe an a1 1/2" to 2 " still fairly close to centerline of spar. This will be my fisrt plane that has tank on CG. Having the tank in front of the tube never really was an issue before far as changing CG during flight. But if you mean being able to set up static CG., I'll still be able to move rudder from front to back if neccassary. I'll try to take better pics.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2009
173 Posts
IBTRIN...I just did some checking and I think your tank install may be right on.....The CG is supposed to be at 140mm from the leading edge of the wing, that's in front of the wing spar, so it looks like your install is on the money!
Here's a picture of my proposed tank install (I have to move it slightly forward). I haven't secured anything yet but this is what I'm planning on doing.....very similar to your set-up. The second tank is just a mock-up, I have another 32 oz DuBro tank coming (smoke system).

Revy...I took a photo of the WR axel install, you can see there is plenty of meat on the gear.....in fact I added a washer to take up some of the extra threads and to add some more support to the area. I also included a picture of my fuel dot install......and yes it does clear the wing. They fit so nice in between the two bulkheads, I figured why not.

What do you guys use to clean the tape residue off the parts? I know it says lighter fluid but I wondered if there is something else.

Keep the pictures coming!
Old 02-07-2012, 12:16 PM
Find More Posts by Revy
Revelstoke, BC
Joined Dec 2009
988 Posts
Methyl hydrate or lacquer thinner. I prefer the former unless I know the surface won't melt with the latter.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Account Closed
Joined Dec 2007
1,901 Posts
Lighter fluid works too, just dont rub it too hard ,it can score the surface, soak and dab, soak and dab bro.
Last edited by TimSmith; 02-13-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:35 AM
Find More Posts by Revy
Revelstoke, BC
Joined Dec 2009
988 Posts
Realized ours was missing somethin', Tim...
Old 02-08-2012, 10:32 AM
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2007
451 Posts
So whats the generall consensus on tail wheel, tiller or traditional spring. Would like to use tiller, just does'nt appear to have any meat in the bottom of the rudder to mount a post of some sort. Springs appear to hit on the rudder when deflected.

Quick Reply