logo
Old 05-18-2007, 05:28 PM
Find More Posts by GremlinX
Father of the Scale Furum
Chapel Hill, TN
Joined Jan 2006
4,595 Posts
Re: New series Smart-Fly Power Expanders

Kiwi, I was just asking this... and I'm sorry if I am not asking it in a good way.
2600=NO more than 4 amps..
Batshare built in switched back/forth between high volt pack to equally drain. This tells me it only drains 1 pack at a time. 2600 is only good for 4 amps... Or.... does the built in batshare equally drain the packs at the same time giving a safe 8+amp draw? I agree, 8amps is high, but it is a 3D plane with a lot of digi's in her. Thanks for your patience answering my questions!
GremlinX is offline Find More Posts by GremlinX
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-18-2007, 06:12 PM
Find More Posts by Rolling Thunder
Team Horizon Hobby
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
1,855 Posts

Here is a response from Bob about how the Batshare works.

"The BatShare will draw from both batteries when they equalize. Each diode may have a slight different forward voltage drop (i.e. one may be .41V and the other may be .42V) so the battery packs may not seem to be at exactly the same voltage but when you add the battery voltage with the diode voltage on each side that will be equal. The BatShare will switch to the higher voltage battery when there is a difference. For example, when you charge you may not get exactly the same voltage on both batteries, the BatShare will run off the higher voltage battery until things equalize and then the BatShare will draw from both batteries. If one pack has a different capacity than the other pack the BatShare will draw less from the lower capacity pack and more from the higher capacity pack to keep the the battery voltages equal. I hope this makes things clearer."

The next is in reference to the batshare built into the Power Expander.

"If the inputs are both at the same voltage the PowerExpander will draw from both sides. You can get both lights on using regulators and still not draw evenly, or close to evenly, from both sides because of the way regulators work. It is almost impossible to get regulators to share current. The regulator that is set to regulate the higher voltage will always supply more current. This is made worse when the path from the regulator to where they are plugged together is a very low resistance, as with our RegulatorHDs that have 18ga wire and Deans plugs on the output. You can help balance regulators by putting resistors on their outputs and tying them together after the resistors. Since voltage drop is proportional to current, the regulator with the higher current will have a bigger voltage drop across the resistor. This is why you may see better current sharing when you have 22ga wire and standard plugs going into a receiver rather than when you have 18ga wire and Deans plugs going into a PowerExpander. So, even though you have both LEDs lit up that does not mean you will get equal current draw using two regulators. I hope this explained this well enough."
Rolling Thunder is offline Find More Posts by Rolling Thunder
Old 05-18-2007, 06:49 PM
Find More Posts by GremlinX
Father of the Scale Furum
Chapel Hill, TN
Joined Jan 2006
4,595 Posts

Ah.... Good to know... Thanks for the write! I was under the impression that it just switched back and forth ... like take a little here, take a little there... thanks a ton. Keith
GremlinX is offline Find More Posts by GremlinX
Old 01-06-2008, 07:48 PM
Find More Posts by mic783
Joined Apr 2006
12 Posts

This might be a really silly question but does having two 6v nicd batts pluged into both sides of the smart fly power expander create 12v while drawing from both batteries thus killing a 6v digi servo?
mic783 is offline Find More Posts by mic783
Old 01-07-2008, 09:21 AM
Find More Posts by rrritchey
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts

Hi,
The batteries end up wired in parallel, not series. When you use two 6V NiCds you end up with 6V at the servos.
rrritchey is offline Find More Posts by rrritchey
Site Sponsor
Old 01-07-2008, 09:41 AM
Find More Posts by JPrc
I piss excellence!
Bossier City, Louisiana
Joined Jan 2006
582 Posts

How many amps is the battery share rated.
JPrc is offline Find More Posts by JPrc
Old 01-08-2008, 09:34 AM
Find More Posts by rrritchey
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts

Hi,
This varies depending on what type of BatShare you are talking about. All of them use diodes that can handle 12 amps continuous. The BatShare and BatShareHD are limited by the standard R/C connectors to 3 continuous amps per side or 6 continuous amps total. The BatShare Ultra will do 8 continuous amps per side or 16 continuous amps total limited by the heat dissipation of the PCB. The BatShares built into the SuperReg, TurboReg, PowerExpander Sport Plus and PowerSystem Sport Plus will handle 12 amps continuous. Let me know if you have any other questions.
rrritchey is offline Find More Posts by rrritchey
Site Sponsor

Quick Reply