logo
Old 03-09-2020, 03:33 AM
Find More Posts by sandrocacciola
ITALY
Joined Feb 2007
99 Posts
Mini-Review
Proxxon FET 2070 table saw: I love it!

In recent weeks I have had the opportunity to try a particularly interesting work tool for model makers who love working with wood, namely the Proxxon circular table saw, the 2070 FET. Light compact (35 x 24 x 37.5 cm the dimensions for a weight of about 6 kg.) And easily positioned if necessary on any work surface and then to put it on a shelf, the FET allows you to cut not only wood or balsa but different materials such as plastics, plexiglass, fiberglass as well as non-ferrous metals (however, each material requires a dedicated cutting disc that stands out for the number of teeth present). Accepts blades from 50 up to 85mm in diameter. The machine comes with the 24-tooth blade excellent for wood and balsa.
The heart of this machine is a DC motor with a toothed belt transmission that is quite silent even if the "whistle" of the blade rotation makes itself heard. The blade can be tilted up to 45 ° for diagonal cuts but has a cutting depth limit of 22mm, so if you intend to use it also for household chores keep in mind this limit.
But let's get to the "juice" of the question: I tried the machine to make both balsa strips and wooden blocks for reinforcements with beech and pine. I must say that the cut is particularly clean, but care must be taken to bring the piece close to the aluminum longitudinal guide; it seems trivial but if you have to make strips of a certain length (for example 80cm) when we start cutting the tablet after about twenty centimeters of cutting the piece will be off the work surface and care must be taken that this does not rotate compromising the precision of cut; which does not happen if we cut small pieces that do not come out of the work surface (among other things well done with a good thickness aluminum). This problem does not arise, however, for pieces to be cut larger in width as the Proxxon FET has on its left side an additional extractable work surface that allows you to rest the piece on a larger surface.
The same aluminum longitudinal stop guide slides on a graduated ruler and has a double stop: a small wheel that temporarily blocks the sliding but that allows you to make small adjustments with steps of 1/10 of a millimeter through a graduated knob placed at the start of the measuring ruler, and a lever stop that definitively locks the stop and I have not found any play once the two blocks have been tightened.
What created some difficulties for me, however, is the readability of the measurements on the graduated ruler (at least it did this to me ...). If you need to make angled cuts instead, a transverse guide is also provided with an aluminum ruler and scale with degrees of inclination useful for the series production of pieces of equal angle and length.
When cutting wood at the maximum thickness allowed, the saw does not create problems and the rotation of the blade does not undergo worrying slowdowns, a sign that the 0.2Cv motor is sufficient for machining, even if when working with pieces on the edge of the blade you notice a little effort in advancing the table which can compromise the stability of the machine which weighing 6 kilos does not have a sufficient mass to counteract an energetic check. However, the small size (30x30cm) allows it to be placed on the work bench without problems.
If you need to replace the blade, the Proxxon FET 2070 has a practical system that allows you to raise and lock the table and the motor unit for replacement or for cleaning the saw. And here I have to open a separate chapter: when cuts are made, the processing material due to the rotation of the blade is almost entirely discharged into the machine body (the compartment under the work surface where the motor is placed) and therefore eliminate the sawdust produced (among other things very fine) it is necessary to raise and block the work table; alternatively an aspirator can be connected to the saw using the rear union and a rubber adapter that is supplied with the machine. I connected it to a vacuum cleaner bin but to be honest I noticed that not all the residues are sucked but the sawdust remains in the machine body and must therefore be eliminated by hand ...
Before starting to cut, it is recommended to install the tilting blade cover on the work surface to protect yourself from inadvertently touching the blade while the machine is running, and a plastic pusher that allows you to push the piece towards the blade safely: this it is not a simple accessory to use for those who are beginners because I have repeatedly lost the grip on the piece I was cutting with consequent alignments in the cut.

<div>
Il mio filmato Proxxon FET (3 min 34 sec)
sandrocacciola is offline Find More Posts by sandrocacciola
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-09-2020, 06:44 PM
Find More Posts by dhal22
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Apr 2009
2,478 Posts
You must really like your saw....................
dhal22 is offline Find More Posts by dhal22
Old 03-09-2020, 07:18 PM
Find More Posts by WangoTango
Conroe, Texas U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2007
5,152 Posts
yep....

He's got a lot to like! Probably not in the USA right now either.
Wished it was....... I'd get one for the right price.
WT
WangoTango is offline Find More Posts by WangoTango
Old 03-09-2020, 08:40 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,478 Posts
Not much there that you can't get with the Brynes table saw. All types of options with the Brynes saw. I can peel pieces off so thin you can see through them.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:54 PM
Find More Posts by 3DJP
United States, NJ, Penns Grove
Joined Dec 2015
1,575 Posts
Wow.. this dude is serious!!
3DJP is offline Find More Posts by 3DJP
Old 03-09-2020, 11:21 PM
Find More Posts by eheliflyer
TEAM FUTABA
Mansfield Oh
Joined May 2006
1,664 Posts
Pretty nice saw if you are doing custom builds. They also make an awesome sander for precision sanding stock to what ever size you need!
eheliflyer is offline Find More Posts by eheliflyer
Old 03-10-2020, 12:39 AM
Find More Posts by The Hodge
Skip Model Designs Intl.
Australia, VIC
Joined Mar 2008
4,062 Posts
Here in Aus there like $725 really pricey , Good for small stuff, Doing small spars etc
The Hodge is offline Find More Posts by The Hodge
Old 03-10-2020, 01:05 AM
Joined Apr 2009
2,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eheliflyer View Post
Pretty nice saw if you are doing custom builds. They also make an awesome sander for precision sanding stock to what ever size you need!
Brynes? I have that also. Smooth, quiet, strong, great disk sander.
Old 03-11-2020, 01:12 PM
Find More Posts by sandrocacciola
ITALY
Joined Feb 2007
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hodge View Post
Here in Aus there like $725 really pricey , Good for small stuff, Doing small spars etc

725$ ???
sandrocacciola is offline Find More Posts by sandrocacciola
Old 03-12-2020, 09:01 PM
Find More Posts by The Hodge
Skip Model Designs Intl.
Australia, VIC
Joined Mar 2008
4,062 Posts
Yeah!!!! Crazy right !!?

https://www.hobbytools.com.au/proxxon-table-saw-fet/
The Hodge is offline Find More Posts by The Hodge
Old 03-12-2020, 09:36 PM
Find More Posts by acerc
United States, FL, Center Hill
Joined Jul 2014
2,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhal22 View Post
Not much there that you can't get with the Brynes table saw. All types of options with the Brynes saw. I can peel pieces off so thin you can see through them.
Byrnes is a fantastic table!
acerc is offline Find More Posts by acerc

Quick Reply