logo
Old 08-19-2007, 07:49 PM
Find More Posts by Cracky
WHATS CRACKALAKIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wentzville, MO
Joined Jan 2006
9,312 Posts
Re: H9 35% 260....its cheating to call it a build thread!!!!!

OK, was able to get more done today even with trying to be a Husband and Father.

Got all of the servos mounted and set up. I always have terrible luck using the standard servo mounting screws. I normally strip them out way too fast. Probably because I don't own any really good screwdrivers. A friend of mine brought me back two bags of Micro Fasteners servo mounting screws from Toledo earlier this year. I do have to say using an allen key is very nice because of no slipping off of the screw and poking a hole in your covering. I did that once or twice before I heard about the Micro Fasteners screws. From a modeler to another modeler, try some on your next project if you haven't already used them.

When I was setting up my elevator servos I had to open up the slot in the stabs a little wider to allow clearance for the H9 Arm. I taped it off what I wanted to cut out and used an Exacto knife to remove the sheeting and ply. This only took about 5 minutes a side. I was glad that I taped it off, made for a much straighter line.

When I was running the servo leads/extensions I tried the "tie a weight to a string" method but my basement was short and I couldn't see what was going on there. I looked around to see what I could find and I came up with a antenna tube which I put a screw in the end of it so that I could tape the leads to that end and fish the other end through the wings/fuse. Worked very well.

This was my first time setting up Matchboxes and I must have to say that it was quite simple. I used one Matchbox on each wing. It took about 15 minutes a wing to install the servos, hook up the linkages and set the Matchboxes.

I also got the pilot epoxied into place. I placed the pilot in position and took a regular pencil and traced around the base of it. I then removed the pilot and put epoxy on the line and also on the ply support that goes from the pilot's chest to back. After that I scuffed up the UltraCote with some sandpaper and used some RC-56 to mount the canopy. Used painter's tape to hold it all in place and set it off to the side to let it dry.

Got the DA mounted. In the past I have stood my planes on their tail (before rudder was mounted) to find the correct engine positioning. Well I didn't that opportunity this time. My ladder was out on loan and I didn't have an extra set of hands available to help steady. So all I needed was a template for the mounting holes. I placed the engine on a piece of lite ply and made marks where the mounting holes were. Then I drilled pilot holes in it. I found my center lines and cut a hole out of the middle so that I could align it with the lines on the firewall. Worked pretty good I think.

So whats left to do.......

What I'm going to do next is to grab that FROMECO box and start putting the goodies in. I have a good idea where they will need to be so this shouldn't take too long.

After the batteries get installed I am going to finish up the motor install. The throttle servo and Smart-Fly Fiber Optic Kill Switch need to get put in. I've been using the same kill switch on my 40% and I've got nothing but good things to say about it. Then I need to cut the cowl for the mufflers and I normally like to do that outside because of the fiberglass dust. I might have to substitute the garage for outdoors if it is raining. After the cowl is done I'll go back through and loctite all of the bolts that need it and double check everything. Tomorrow night if its not raining I can hopefully get it outside and run the DA a little. I bought it from a friend of mine used. It has enough gas through it so now I can start running Amsoil through it.

After that I think she is ready to go. I'll need to do a good range check but I don't foresee any problems with the R2000 and my 9303.

So far I probably have an 9 hours of work on it. Yesterday I didn't get much stuff done as I got pulled away several times with life. I wasn't very organized so I had lots of trips to the garage and a trip to the hobby shop. I'm really expecting another 1.5-2 hours of work to have this thing done.

OK, enough for now...got to get back downstairs.
Cracky is offline Find More Posts by Cracky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-19-2007, 10:53 PM
Find More Posts by SleepyC
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts

Dave, nice work there bubba.

I have the same amount of time in mine. This plane is the fastest ARF I have ever built.
And the thing is, I wasn't even rushing.
SleepyC is offline Find More Posts by SleepyC
Old 08-20-2007, 03:23 AM
Find More Posts by dubd
Turbine Hucker
Silicon Valley
Joined May 2007
1,609 Posts

can the visor be removed on the helmet head? i want to tint it.
dubd is offline Find More Posts by dubd
Old 08-20-2007, 06:45 AM
Find More Posts by rcaviator
Lexington, SC
Joined Jan 2006
20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubd View Post
Yes it can, already has a slight tint as well.
rcaviator is offline Find More Posts by rcaviator
Old 08-20-2007, 08:01 AM
Wentzville, MO
Joined Jan 2006
9,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyC View Post
And the thing is, I wasn't even rushing.
Same with me Sleepy, Not one part of it I was thinking that I gotta hurry up and get done. I bet that someone could have this plane done in a day if they really wanted to. Start out with mounting the pilot and canopy and finish by the time the canopy glue is dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubd View Post
Yes, just like rcaviator said it is removable. I loctited the visor bolts into the helmet so that they wouldn't come loose in flight. It would be a tough spot to get to should one come loose.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:29 AM
Wentzville, MO
Joined Jan 2006
9,312 Posts

Well I'm almost there.....I feel like an idiot because I missed a bunch of photos. I'll take them tomorrow and get caught up to date. I will throw up a shot that I was glad to take though.

More to come.....
Old 08-21-2007, 06:39 AM
Find More Posts by GremlinX
Father of the Scale Furum
Chapel Hill, TN
Joined Jan 2006
4,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic3D View Post
Not really common on 35% airplanes. More on like 40%. Only 35% plane I can think of with a 2 piece is the 35% Dalton.

It would be sweet though , to have on a 100cc. Cleaner cowl cutouts.
SD models and a few others have them in 35%. It's a nice feature I think.
GremlinX is offline Find More Posts by GremlinX
Old 08-21-2007, 10:07 AM
Find More Posts by GremlinX
Father of the Scale Furum
Chapel Hill, TN
Joined Jan 2006
4,595 Posts

That would be awesome if they glued the canopy in the future. That's my least favorite thing to do... that and hinges. Messy. Great looking. Really hides that DA 100 well.
GremlinX is offline Find More Posts by GremlinX
Old 08-21-2007, 10:14 AM
Wentzville, MO
Joined Jan 2006
9,312 Posts

Honestly, gluing the canopy was a super simple. It comes pre-cut so all it takes is a light sanding on the ultracote where the edges will be and some RC56. It took about 5 minutes to do including taping it.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:10 PM
Find More Posts by McCartyCFII
United States, AL, Madison
Joined Jan 2006
205 Posts

Chris just started ours today.
McCartyCFII is offline Find More Posts by McCartyCFII
Old 08-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Wentzville, MO
Joined Jan 2006
9,312 Posts

Did you get the prop for it?
Old 08-21-2007, 12:29 PM
Find More Posts by Dan J
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jul 2006
549 Posts

Did you fly it yet?
Dan J is offline Find More Posts by Dan J
Old 08-21-2007, 12:39 PM
Wentzville, MO
Joined Jan 2006
9,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan J View Post
Did you fly it yet?
Not yet, the weather here in the midwest has been all over the charts here lately. I'm hoping to take it out Thursday, weather permitting.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:53 PM
Find More Posts by Dan J
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jul 2006
549 Posts

You'll love it, I'd like to know how it works with stock mufflers I've got pipes.(turbo boost) I want to get away from that. Did you weigh it?
Dan J is offline Find More Posts by Dan J
Old 08-21-2007, 12:56 PM
Wentzville, MO
Joined Jan 2006
9,312 Posts

I don't have an accurate scale. I need to borrow one from a friend of mine and see what it comes in at. SHOULD be in the mid-upper 27's. We'll see once she gets on the scale.

Quick Reply