logo
Old 12-28-2012, 12:54 AM
Find More Posts by nicky2times
Joined Jul 2011
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestpilot View Post
They don't really intend you to use the black carbon fiber control horns on the ailerons when you mount them internally.. not without cutting them down to allow for full throw..which I am not comfortable with so.. get a couple of metal horns from Horizon or your favorite store. If you do a search for another build thread for this plane you will see someone else did the same thing. I am helping a buddy build two of these and we went with the hanger 9 arms..
Im getting full throw with mine mounted internally with the carbon arms, no cutting either. I chose to use them to show that they do work, but if your not comfortable using those, using metal arms is always an option. Redwing does offer the mpi metal arms, for those who want to go that route can pick them up when buying the plane
nicky2times is offline Find More Posts by nicky2times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-02-2013, 12:54 AM
Joined Jul 2011
18 Posts
main gear and tail wheel

Hope everyone had a happy new year.

Mounted the main gear, using the provided stainless cap screws and the nylon nuts attach the main gear to the fuse. You will notice the carbon gear is airfoiled and also the trailing edge tapers so make sure you have this mounted the the straight side forward. You will notice in the fuse they use aluminum L brackets to stiffen up the mounting block to the fuse. Next thing is to mount the axle to the gear. Simply thread the axle into the gear then tighten down the provided nylon nut. They provide you with 2 wheel collars for each wheel. I mounted the first one about 1/4" off the gear slipped the wheel on then put the next collar on making sure the wheel spins freely. When mounting the wheel pants you will have to install the blind nuts, i did this by holding them on the back of the pant and using the screw to pull the nut into the wood. Next thing to do is install the wheel pant to the gear using some loctite on the screws.

Tail wheel bracket is installed by first screwing on the bushing to the carbon tail wheel gear. Then sliding in the tail axle into the bushing. Now the cap that holds the axle in has a set screw that to secure this onto the axle, the axle has a flat spot this is where the set screw should line up to prevent the axle from spinning. The rod that extends to the rudder is also held in by a set screw in this cap. slide through the small hole in the cap and using the screw to secure it in place. In the bag there is a small rod that has another hole in it. By drilling a 7/32 hole into the center of the rudder, on the rod there is splines on the end that gets glued in. I used gorilla glue for this. Now to screw the gear to the fuse i used the provided wood screws. There is a plywood mounting plate on the rear of the fuse, I set my gear flush with the front of this plate and drilled some pilot holes down the center where the gear holes are. Hit these with a few drops of ca then screwed it down, make sure you slide the rod into the rudder before screwing it in place. For those who want to use a screw and add blind nuts can do so by cutting out the hatch on the rear of the fuse. Its located on the left side you will need to cut it from the covering, this is used to access the rear mounting plate from inside the plane. Now thats done all is left is to mount the tail wheel and the wheel collar. Gear is done.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:09 AM
Find More Posts by superstocktx
Joined Apr 2009
2,548 Posts
Lookin good so far

Sent pm on the graphics
superstocktx is offline Find More Posts by superstocktx
Old 01-04-2013, 12:35 AM
Joined Jul 2011
18 Posts
rudder servo and motor

Ok getting closer to finishing up. Installed the rudder servo with the gear to the front of the plane. Once again attaching the carbon rudder servo arm to a stock arm. When doing pull pull wires i cross mine in the fuse, its just my preference. Now i like to secure my ball links to the arm with the brass wire adjusters screwed in a few turns into each one. From there i loop my wires through the brass crimp ring and make a loop back into it. I like my wires to be snug but not too tight, I have found out its best to tape the rudder in place while pulling on the cables before crimping them in place. After crimping the wires, you will need to adjust the tension according like to your liking. Some like theirs tight i like mine snug, Its personal preference.

Mounting the motor, Redwing does provide a thin piece of ply with holes drilled in it for the dle 30. In the right upper corner the is an arrow pointing up on the fire wall as well has the template, this is used to make sure you have the template turned the right way. Simply drill holes into the fire wall, then bolt the stand off brackets to the fire wall. With the dle 30 you will need to pick up some 5mm cap screws and washers from a hardware store to do this. Next is to mount the motor to the stand offs, I ended up having to space the motor out using a couple of washers between the motor and stand off. Now for those who dont know once again loctite is your friend make sure you use it on all machine screws. Now for drilling a holes for the throttle cable and fuel line I drilled a hole from the rear of the firewall forward by eye balling where it needed to be. Now that is done, the next thing i did was mount my throttle servo mount in the fuse. They provide you with a triangular servo mount, I epoxied mine the right of the fuse just before the motor box this way i could have access to it without having to take the cowl off. So far this is where im at in the build hope to get some more done soon.

If anyone has any questions, or is seeing interest in this plane feel free to ask or send me a pm. I can help those out who are looking to make the purchase just shoot me a pm for details.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:56 PM
Joined Jul 2011
18 Posts
finishing things up

Hey guys sorry its been awhile, Im actually done with the build. We were lucky enough to get a nice warm weekend so i had to hurry up and get it done. Im going to go back and update the build, i need to get a few more pics of the finished plane. I did however get to maiden the plane this weekend, managed to get a few flights in sat. and sunday. Had a few issues with the motor sat, this was a used motor out of my other plane that had been sitting for about 6 months. Got most of the kinks worked out, now im still tuning in the plane getting my throws how i want and the cg where i like it. As you can see in the pics my batteries are against the wing tube, i ended up moving them forward about an inch and half. I was tail heavy making the plane very pitchy. So far iv tossed this plane around, trying maneuvers and pushing it some. Now iv got a decent feel for 3d, iv been working a lot on torque rolls. This plane does them almost hands off, pretty impressive for me. Inverted harriers are solid, up right has a slight wing rock nothing too bad, pretty normal. Rolling harriers are easy, i roll to the right and not the best going left this plane is also going to help me to learn to roll to the left as well, they are that easy. Pop tops are super tight, blenders are vicious, they flatten out and spin on point. This plane has pleanty of elevator so walls, waterfalls, knife edge spins are all great!

Im still getting a feel for the plane, hopefully soon i will get a nice calm day and get some videos made up. Once a get the cg dialed in and my throws set i will let everyone know what i have. Overall im pretty happy, i have thrown this airframe through some stress test at high speeds and its still in one piece. Just wish i had some more of the nice weather we had so i can get some more flights in. If anyone wants to see a specific maneuver let me know, Im no pro just a weekend hucker so ill do my best!
Old 01-15-2013, 12:12 AM
Find More Posts by Scooterpilot
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Jan 2006
429 Posts
Nicky2time,

I just finished mine too! I CG'd it about 1/2 inch in front of the wing tube to start.

First flight will be this Friday, Wx premitting. I'm running a Syassa 30cc in mine.
Scooterpilot is offline Find More Posts by Scooterpilot
Last edited by Scooterpilot; 01-15-2013 at 12:23 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:22 AM
Joined Jul 2011
18 Posts
Sweet man! I started my cg pretty much on the wing tube and it was tail heavy as of now im about 1/2 in front or so also and it is so much better. Hope you like it!
Old 01-15-2013, 04:24 AM
Find More Posts by Gimpy
United States, KS, Tecumseh
Joined Jan 2012
28 Posts
Nice looking plane.

What size fortitude are you using? I was thinking of switching to one in mine as well.
Gimpy is offline Find More Posts by Gimpy
Old 01-15-2013, 08:40 AM
Find More Posts by Dane McGee
Sho Nuff Combat Pilot
United States, TX, Greenville
Joined Dec 2012
43 Posts
Very nice. I've been looking at those too.

Keep us up to speed on the maiden plz
Dane McGee is offline Find More Posts by Dane McGee
Old 01-15-2013, 12:35 PM
Joined Jul 2011
18 Posts
I'm using the 8Oz. I can fly for 8 min and only use about half a tank.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:37 PM
Joined Jul 2011
18 Posts
Dane, send me a pm before you you order one if you decide to get one. I'm working to become a rep with redwing.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:29 PM
Find More Posts by Gutzy
Pin it! To win it!
United States, MN, St. Michael
Joined Sep 2011
339 Posts
That's a sweet bird. I also built one last year this time. Love mine!! Tim's customer service is STELLAR!!
Gutzy is offline Find More Posts by Gutzy
Last edited by Gutzy; 01-17-2013 at 12:46 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:49 PM
Joined Jul 2011
18 Posts
I've looked at your build gutzy, love what you did with the graphics!
Old 01-17-2013, 12:47 AM
Find More Posts by Gutzy
Pin it! To win it!
United States, MN, St. Michael
Joined Sep 2011
339 Posts
Thanks, Mang!!!
Gutzy is offline Find More Posts by Gutzy

Quick Reply