logo
Old 02-22-2007, 02:49 PM
Find More Posts by sun.flyer
Go Bucks!!!
Swanton, OH USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,591 Posts
3D Hobby Shop 47" Extra 300 SHP

3D Hobby Shop is pleased to announce there all new 47" Extra 300 SHP (Super High Performance) 3D airplane. This Extra is a 3D Hobby Shop original design that was developed by Scott Stoops (sukhoi26mx) in cooperation with 3D Hobby Shop and their partner factory in China. The sole purpose of the Extra 300 SHP is rock solid 3D flight to the MAX!!

47" Extra 300 SHP Specs:
Wingspan: 47.25"
Wing Area: 464 sq. in.
Length: 44"
AUW: 37-41 oz.
Wing loading: 11.4oz./sq.ft.-12.7oz./sq.ft.
Recommended Equipment:
Motor: Torque 2818T/900
ESC: Torque Airboss 45A Elite
Prop: APC 13 x 6.5E
Battery: TPX 3s 2070 25C
Servos: (4) HS-65HB

The Extra 300 SHP will come with all the same high quality hardware that the current 3DHS Yak-54 and 3DHS Katana models utilize. However in addition to that the Extra 300 SHP will also come with convienent changes.

- Hinges come pre-installed in all the surfaces.
- Hinge slot in the rear of the fuse now comes pre-cut.
- All Extra 300 SHP's will come with 52mm heavy duty wheels (very solid).
- Scale looking Extra 300 CF landing gear (no straight CF legs on this plane).
- Pull strings in each wing half for aileron wiring.
- Firewall hole is now a perfect match for the Torque 2818T/900 motor.
- 3mm motor mounting harware included.

All 3D Hobby Shop airplanes are made of light weight laser-cut balsa and light plywood. The Extra will come with a pre-cut fiberglass cowl and wheel pants, uniquely effective canopy hatch attachment, and a two piece removeable wing which rests on a carbon fiber wing tube.
3D Hobby Shop will be taking pre-orders on there new Extra 300 SHP within 24hrs. These planes will be available in March and will be offered at a price of $149.99 for the Extra 300 SHP ARF. There will also be a power-combo being offered which will include the airplane, Torque 2818T/900 and the Airboss Elite 45A speed controller for $269.99.
sun.flyer is offline Find More Posts by sun.flyer
Last edited by sun.flyer; 02-22-2007 at 03:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-22-2007, 02:52 PM
Go Bucks!!!
Swanton, OH USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,591 Posts
Re: 3D Hobby Shop 47" Extra 300 SHP

The Extra 300 SHP is designed for all out 3D flight. The Extra 300 was developed around a wing that has a thinner airfoil with very accurate, sharp LE that makes for a great stall breakaway and very precise flying airplane. To better understand this concept I would like to suggest you take a look at this thread. The posts in this thread clearly illustrate the benefits to 3D flight that a thinner airfoil wing can have on a 3D airplane. What this all comes down to is a 3D plane that will be rock solid in high alpha flight modes, can be flown at slower speed with out the fear of a tip stall and a plane that someone can build confidence in very quickly.
One of the things I notice with new planes when they get announced is there is never any video to see how the plane actually flys. Not to be the case however with the new 3D Hobby Shop Extra 300 SHP. Here is a little "teaser" video for you.

Extra 300 SHP video
Last edited by sun.flyer; 02-22-2007 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:46 PM
Go Bucks!!!
Swanton, OH USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,591 Posts

I was able to dedicate some time to working on the Extra SHP today after working on some honey-do-list items. The Extra build is very straight forward and has offered no looks on my face. The parts fit has been excellent with all pieces and surfaces have fallen right into place. Many of the building steps are very routine procedures as with any arf model. I did however confirm that all the CA hinges are PRE-GLUED to there control surfaces. What this essential means is the ailerons and ca hinges were ready to glue to the wings, the rudder and ca hinges to the vertical stab and elevator halves and ca hinges to the horizontal stab. This greatly speeds up this step of the building process.

As Scott method earlier in this thread the control surfaces on the Extra, expecially the rudder (HUGE) and elevator (EQUALLY AS HUGE) are some of the largest I have ever seen on a model this size. The horizontal stab on the Extra sits slightly lower then the full-scale Extra SHP. I believe Ben or Scott can touch base on the reasoning behind this. You might want to watch however using full down elevator while taxing as it looks like the elevator could drag some. The carbon fiber landing gear really sets the Extra SHP apart from any plane in its class. It gives the Extra a very scale look and appearance on the ground. The landing gear plate looks to be very strong and capable of withstanding less then perfect landings.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:49 PM
Go Bucks!!!
Swanton, OH USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,591 Posts

Next I moved on to mounting the motor and esc. The Torque 2818/900's radial mount now matches the hole in the motor mount perfectly. Simply align the two together and mark your holes and drill them out. The mounting hardware is supplied and works like a charm providing a very secure mount of the motor. The Airboss Elite 45 will be offered with the package combo's that Ben will be selling soon through 3DHS. One nice feature about the Elite 45 is that it can run up to 5s lipos on the internal bec (sweet). Not only will this save you money in the long run but it will also save on weight for those who normally run their planes on seperate bec units.

The only things left to complete are the mounting of the servos (HS-65Hb's all around) as well as control horns and pushrods and attaching the cowl and connecting up the rx and wrapping up on a few little details. The wings attach to the fuse with just two plastic thumb screws and have one small wooden dowl per wing half that acts as the anti-torque pin. This is slightly different then previous 3DHS planes which used two plastic thumb screws per wing half. The wings mate with the fuselage perfectly with no gap to worry about. There is also plenty prop clearence as well with the 13 x 6.5 prop. Someone could easily use a 14" prop on this plane should they need to with the stock gear.

I decided to do a mock up of the Extra SHP as this build has been going so quickly that I am hoping to have it done by mid-week at the lastest (probably earlier). The Extra really is set off with the new Hyperion 40mm spinner. It gives the Extra that additional scale touch and is very light weight. The Extra looks like it is ready for flight just sitting on the work bench. This is indeed a very impressive looking model and I can not weight to get it up flying.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:23 PM
Find More Posts by Jaybird
Jay Florida
Joined Jan 2006
3,713 Posts

Sweet looking Extra! Love the scheme.
Jaybird is offline Find More Posts by Jaybird
Old 03-02-2007, 07:44 AM
Go Bucks!!!
Swanton, OH USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,591 Posts

Well I am extremely pleased with how the Extra 300 SHP turned out. It looks absolutely stunning and I am extremely excited about getting it up for its maiden. The Extra comes in at 32.5oz. minus the battery pack. With my TPX 3s 2070mah pack the Extra comes in at 38.5oz. RTF. For a plane of this size with a wing area of over 460sq.in. (464sq.in. to be exact) that brings the wing loading to only 12 oz./sq.ft.. Yeah.... the Extra should fly nicely and 3D like... well like crazy. I have the cg set at 3.5" measured at the fuse from the leading edge which puts the cg right in front of the wing tube. After a few flights I will gradually move the cg back to find the sweet spot for all out 3D flight.

Over all I think when it comes to the build, 3D Hobby Shop in association with Scott Stoops have really made it simple to take a plane from box to flight ready in a very short time. The amount of engineering and design that went into this plane is phenominal and I tip my cap to Ben and Scott for setting out and designing a plane with such innovative ideas that will help help all of us improve our flying and 3D skills. Enjoy the picture extravaganza!! If you have any specific question regarding the build that I may not have addressed please feel free to let me know.

Tim
Old 03-02-2007, 07:49 AM
Go Bucks!!!
Swanton, OH USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,591 Posts

And more..... just something for those of you on the line about wanting one of these.

Tim
Old 03-02-2007, 08:41 AM
Find More Posts by Black Bird
Into The Light I Command Thee
Utopia
Joined Mar 2006
1,363 Posts

Looks nice, how long of a flight time do you get with those big electric engines?
Black Bird is offline Find More Posts by Black Bird
Old 03-02-2007, 09:18 AM
Jay Florida
Joined Jan 2006
3,713 Posts

You running two rx's? I see two antennas.
Brian
Old 03-02-2007, 05:06 PM
Go Bucks!!!
Swanton, OH USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bird View Post
Looks nice, how long of a flight time do you get with those big electric engines?
8-9 minutes of aerobatic/3D type flying.

Tim
Old 03-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Go Bucks!!!
Swanton, OH USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
You running two rx's? I see two antennas.
Brian
You kill me Brian. That is just one rx antenna wrapped around the bottom of the fuse.

Tim
Old 03-02-2007, 05:27 PM
Jay Florida
Joined Jan 2006
3,713 Posts

Oh my bad . I was thinking that is some serious overkill....lol
Brian
Old 04-08-2007, 10:02 AM
Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Feb 2006
729 Posts

Just wanted to share a couple more photos of the airplane. The SHP's are in stock now at 3D Hobby Shop

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/detail.aspx?ID=1996

Link to some video

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...mentid=1247197

Enjoy!

Scott
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx

Quick Reply