logo
Old 05-03-2012, 08:20 PM
United States, VA, Petersburg
Joined Aug 2011
2,094 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerider8 View Post
Actually I'm waiting for the DLE55 and servos right now. I'm also making some changes in the plans to make the production kit a bit simpler to build. The engine and servos should be here monday, and I'll get it together for a maiden flight very soon.
Well we are all paitently waiting, that things looks awesome, and If I could convince my wife I might be interesetd in one one it becomes available. For the time I'm going to enjoy building this Cap.
cbarnes0061 is offline Find More Posts by cbarnes0061
Old 05-03-2012, 08:51 PM
Fast Planes,Sleds,and Boats.
Clinton,Iowa
Joined Dec 2009
1,220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wecoyote View Post
Any approximation on when the kits will be available?
Not to hijack Chris' thread here but it will should be mid-summer. We have to get the test flights all dialed in on mine and then build/fly a kit version. busy,busy.
lakerider8 is offline Find More Posts by lakerider8
Old 05-03-2012, 09:55 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,094 Posts

Quote:
Not to hijack Chris' thread here but it will should be mid-summer. We have to get the test flights all dialed in on mine and then build/fly a kit version. busy,busy.
Hijack my thread all you want, its great to have such a skilled builder as yourself following and commenting on my thread.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:39 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,094 Posts

Well I won't be starting the build this weekend. Spoke with the people at nationalbalsa.com and my order won't be shipped out until early next week. I guess the shipping map that says 2 day delivery to my area means 2 days after it is shipped out, but I am a patient man and still will be ordering from them again to get the rest of my balsa and possibly the servo's as they carry the Savox servo's unless my local hobby shop can get them.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:54 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,094 Posts

Ok everyone where is the best place to purchase my landing gear and wing tube?
Old 05-05-2012, 07:17 PM
United States, IL, Hoffman Estates
Joined Sep 2011
183 Posts

I had landing made for me here http://tntlandinggear.com/ They did right by me.
Timber is offline Find More Posts by Timber
Old 05-05-2012, 10:31 PM
Clinton,Iowa
Joined Dec 2009
1,220 Posts

I used TnT for the CF wing and stab tubes on my Chipmunk and other projects this winter.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:39 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,094 Posts

Looked at TnT's website and I like what I see prices pretty reasonable on wing tubes and I will have to figure out the dimensions of the LG and get a quote.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,094 Posts

OK next question for everybody, I have never done any fiber glassing before and I plan on building my own cowl. I have pleanty of scrap foam around the house to build up and shape it right but I am lost when it comes to glassing it and don't want to over do it. What weight glass cloth should I use how many layers and resin and where is the best place to get it from?
Old 05-08-2012, 08:19 PM
Clinton,Iowa
Joined Dec 2009
1,220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnes0061 View Post
OK next question for everybody, I have never done any fiber glassing before and I plan on building my own cowl. I have pleanty of scrap foam around the house to build up and shape it right but I am lost when it comes to glassing it and don't want to over do it. What weight glass cloth should I use how many layers and resin and where is the best place to get it from?

Just my 2 cents worth,but I would see if someone makes a cowl that would fit the CAP or at least be real close. It's easier to change the fuse a bit if need be than make a cowling. On my Chipmunk, I made and glassed the plug. It was lots of work and if I would have not had most of the materials on hand ,would have cost more than just buying one. You could form one from foam,glass it,finish it with body filler,then melt out the foam,but it would be heavy,and require good skills to get it shaped and smoothed out straight. Shaped balsa would be another way to do it.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,094 Posts

Quote:
Just my 2 cents worth,but I would see if someone makes a cowl that would fit the CAP or at least be real close. It's easier to change the fuse a bit if need be than make a cowling. On my Chipmunk, I made and glassed the plug. It was lots of work and if I would have not had most of the materials on hand ,would have cost more than just buying one. You could form one from foam,glass it,finish it with body filler,then melt out the foam,but it would be heavy,and require good skills to get it shaped and smoothed out straight. Shaped balsa would be another way to do it.
Yes I realize that would be easier and I might still do that but I'm working with a tight budget so thats why I'm interested in making my own. Plus I work a 12 hour roting night shift so on my nights off I stay on a night schedule so I have lots of free time to screw around with it.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:17 PM
It's Sooo Fluffy!!
Western, pa, usa
Joined Mar 2006
3,064 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnes0061 View Post
Just put that part on hold for now. If I ever get time I have been working on a plug for the cowl.
rcpilot82 is online now Find More Posts by rcpilot82
Old 05-08-2012, 09:36 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,094 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpilot82 View Post
Just put that part on hold for now. If I ever get time I have been working on a plug for the cowl.
yea I'm not planning on doing it soon just trying to do all my research. If I build my own cowl it will wait till the fuse is @100% so I can get the cowl made as tight the the fuse as poss.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:57 PM
Clinton,Iowa
Joined Dec 2009
1,220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpilot82 View Post
An even better solution
Old 05-09-2012, 09:01 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,094 Posts

Got some good shots at the field this weekend. The pic of the FUNCUB was pure luck. I was snapping shots of a slow flyby when he said I think i lost my prop. Got home that evening and looking through the pics and found it. the advantages of a 16 megapixel camera as that is cropped in at least 3 times the original and it still looks great.The 50cc Trojan looks and sounds great, and thats me with my little house of balsa kit I built.