logo
Old 07-13-2010, 11:55 AM
Find More Posts by rcign
Williams, Az USA
Joined Jan 2006
2,439 Posts
Re: DL-30 / DLE-30

You CAN NOT g by how many turns in or out your carb is..You need to tune YOUR carb for YOUR prop, fuel, and altitude..
TUNE it correctly for good transition and top end and go fly...You just might be surprised....
I don[t know whose DUMB idea it was to tune by how many turns in or out the carb is..ALL carbs are different, it is physically IMPOSSIBLE to manufacure a series of carb with every dimension EXACTLY the same...There are manufacturing tolerances that come into play...If the needles weren't meant to be turned there would be no needles, just fixed jets, as in some cheapie weedeater carbs...Thanks to the wonderful wizards in Washington and the EPA.....And some CYA on the part of the manufacturers...
rcign is offline Find More Posts by rcign
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-13-2010, 12:55 PM
Find More Posts by Tired Old Man
Suspended Account
California
Joined Jul 2006
4,329 Posts

The only turn counts that matter at the needles are the initial starting positions. The counts change for everybody from that point on. Whenever people start taliking about needles being turned to "x" amount open for the best performance the only thing assured is that only one person might be right.
Tired Old Man is offline Find More Posts by Tired Old Man
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 07-13-2010, 01:15 PM
Find More Posts by GoldKraft
Joined May 2009
126 Posts

Thanks gents...Ill just tune it not worry about the turns
GoldKraft is offline Find More Posts by GoldKraft
Old 07-13-2010, 01:24 PM
Find More Posts by tobytorkn
peebles
Joined Jan 2006
664 Posts

Guys I'm wanting to build a pattern plane around this engine. Has anyone found a wrap around header that could be use on a tuned pipe or can? Has anyone put a can or pipe on one yet? How was the performance? Thanks Toby
tobytorkn is offline Find More Posts by tobytorkn
Old 07-13-2010, 01:26 PM
Find More Posts by ericb
Team WTFO
USA, SD, Worthing
Joined Mar 2006
9,612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobytorkn View Post
Guys I'm wanting to build a pattern plane around this engine. Has anyone found a wrap around header that could be use on a tuned pipe or can? Has anyone put a can or pipe on one yet? How was the performance? Thanks Toby
People have done that. Lots of info if you do a search.

https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...%20for%20dle30
ericb is offline Find More Posts by ericb
Old 07-13-2010, 01:29 PM
Find More Posts by 1ken
Broadway, NC
Joined Feb 2010
31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldKraft View Post
Where did you get the muffler...I need a longer one for mine.

Oh...Im sure youll like the power Here is a vid of my maiden of WM 1/4 scale clipped wing. Had to do some hacking on the cowl but it looks ok. Still need to tune a bit more.

YouTube- World Models 25% Clipped Wing Cub
5236K952
(Same as 5236K95)High-Temperature Silicone Rubber Tubing Soft, 3/4" ID, 1" OD, 1/8" Wall, BlackIn stock
QuantityPer Ft.1-99 Ft.$3.94100 or more3.07 (The part you see is tubing from McMaster Carr. Don't have enough run time yet to see how good it is.)
1ken is offline Find More Posts by 1ken
Last edited by 1ken; 07-13-2010 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Change text type
Old 07-13-2010, 01:34 PM
Find More Posts by Captinjohn
Hesperia Michigan USA
Joined Feb 2006
570 Posts

Quote:
Got a question for the engine guys on here.

I started out at 1 1/4 turns on the low and 2 turns on the high on the dle 30 on my cub. It was hard to start and would idle no lower than 2400 rpm....The rpm would only come down when I went to 1 3/4 turns on the low...needless to say thats pretty rich. What would cause this. The engine seems tighter than my other dle 30 was.

Maybe I should just get a gallon through it and retune?

Thanks
Hey GoldKraft, all you need to do is get more time on that engine. Like the guys say...do not worry about the amount of turns out....it is the amout you turn the needles from lean --to too rich. Just set theem where it runs te best. A small amout at a time.

The only other thing...the video was nice (Kinda shaky but clear) and I got to kid you a little. My Grandson Landed better on his first day learning to fly RC. His 2nd flight he just got airborne ...and made a couple of circles and came right in for another landing! I asked him why? He replied...it seemed like more of a challenge! He has always put most of us to shame doing perfect landings. It is something one must practice. But it is fun for me too! Best Regards Capt,n
Captinjohn is offline Find More Posts by Captinjohn
Old 07-13-2010, 03:45 PM
Find More Posts by GoldKraft
Joined May 2009
126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captinjohn View Post
Hey GoldKraft, all you need to do is get more time on that engine. Like the guys say...do not worry about the amount of turns out....it is the amout you turn the needles from lean --to too rich. Just set theem where it runs te best. A small amout at a time.

The only other thing...the video was nice (Kinda shaky but clear) and I got to kid you a little. My Grandson Landed better on his first day learning to fly RC. His 2nd flight he just got airborne ...and made a couple of circles and came right in for another landing! I asked him why? He replied...it seemed like more of a challenge! He has always put most of us to shame doing perfect landings. It is something one must practice. But it is fun for me too! Best Regards Capt,n
Sounds like a natural for sure.

Landing is not my strong suit....and that was ugly....glad i had the power of the DLE to pull out on the first attempt. The narrative of my video guy was quite pretty funny but hey I made the landing work...
GoldKraft is offline Find More Posts by GoldKraft
Old 07-13-2010, 05:15 PM
Find More Posts by bobrev06x
United States, NH, Canaan
Joined Oct 2006
1,939 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooBizzy View Post
How'z it going Bob? Been awhile since I've been on here. Been way Too Bizzy!

Yea....This is how I have the DLE 50 and DLE 30 set up....no issues with the first start of the day. Let us know how it works out for ya....
ok well, moving the T in the fuel line didnt help anything with the difficult cold starting of this engine. i'm probably going to end up taking the carb off and checking the pump diaphrams. too bad. i thought for sure moving that T was going to be the cure. i liked the theory of it but i must have something else wrong. other than that, the engine runs perfectly. i'm thinking 45 flips to get it to pop is just a little too many. lol. plus it's a little rough on the arm! if i find anything interesting during disassembly, i'll post some pics.

later guys
bobrev06x is offline Find More Posts by bobrev06x
Old 07-13-2010, 08:08 PM
Find More Posts by f5air
Fly it....fly it.
Joined Jun 2009
2,546 Posts

Quote:
Where did you get the muffler...I need a longer one for mine.

Oh...Im sure youll like the power Here is a vid of my maiden of WM 1/4 scale clipped wing. Had to do some hacking on the cowl but it looks ok. Still need to tune a bit more.

YouTube- World Models 25% Clipped Wing Cub
lol power right there!!
f5air is offline Find More Posts by f5air
Old 07-14-2010, 07:43 AM
Find More Posts by darkith
Flyin' Around
Joined Oct 2009
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrev06x View Post
ok well, moving the T in the fuel line didnt help anything with the difficult cold starting of this engine. i'm probably going to end up taking the carb off and checking the pump diaphrams. too bad. i thought for sure moving that T was going to be the cure. i liked the theory of it but i must have something else wrong. other than that, the engine runs perfectly. i'm thinking 45 flips to get it to pop is just a little too many. lol. plus it's a little rough on the arm! if i find anything interesting during disassembly, i'll post some pics.

later guys
If you can see into the cowl, watch the behavior of the fuel in the line.

On my DLE-30 powered Extra I have a nice little droop in the fuel line just before the carb which normally holds a couple of inches of fuel and I can watch it being drawn in when choking and priming. But one time I was having a heck of a time getting it to pop, and when I looked the line was dry. Noticed that when I flipped it a few times the fuel was drawing closer to the carb, but was slowly being sucked back when I stopped.

Realized that I had fuel sitting in the loops in the vent line (overflow from filling), and it was very slowly trying to travel down the vent line due to gravity and was causing suction on the carb line. Put the fuel pump back on and pulled the fuel from the vent line back into the tank and she primed and started a couple of flips later.

Man, I feel the urge to fly bad now, it's been two weeks (one weekend was full of rain, the other had a dead servo so I had to fly smaller stuff).

D.
darkith is offline Find More Posts by darkith
Last edited by darkith; 07-14-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:37 PM
Find More Posts by TooBizzy
Georgetown Ohio
Joined Jan 2008
924 Posts

Bob...Sorry that didn't help....Darkith has a possible solution. Although I wouldn't be able to check mine since I use Hayes Clunk to Carb... Bob, can you get to the carb to manually prime it with the cowl on? Anybody you know got a high torque starter that will spin it over?

It almost sounds like in both cases here that the fuel is being alowed to drain back down the line and shouldn't. Even with fuel in the vent line. If the needle valve is closing completely off like it should between pulses, fuel should not be able to go back down the line. Maybe a disassemble of the carb and diaphram will tell a tale. There are threads on here that tell how to set pop off pressure. Might be something to look into. A simple search should find the threads. Let us know what you find, Bob.....
TooBizzy is offline Find More Posts by TooBizzy
Old 07-14-2010, 10:26 PM
Find More Posts by Captinjohn
Hesperia Michigan USA
Joined Feb 2006
570 Posts

I think it is the material the one way valve is made from. It may not be as good as in the Walbro kits here in USA. I will look ito that aspect more. I do not think pop-off pressure has a lot to do with fuel drain-ing back. It again may have to do with the material of the parts involved with pop-off pressure. Just not sure. Capt,n

spelling
Captinjohn is offline Find More Posts by Captinjohn
Old 07-15-2010, 10:39 AM
Find More Posts by TooBizzy
Georgetown Ohio
Joined Jan 2008
924 Posts

Pop off pressure might be set too light causing the needle to not seat properly which might allow air/fuel to flow back down line? Just sayin'.....Might be something to look into....A rebuild kit is pretty cheap compared to Dr. Bills from all that Flippin"!!!!
TooBizzy is offline Find More Posts by TooBizzy
Old 07-15-2010, 11:11 AM
Find More Posts by bobrev06x
United States, NH, Canaan
Joined Oct 2006
1,939 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooBizzy View Post
Pop off pressure might be set too light causing the needle to not seat properly which might allow air/fuel to flow back down line? Just sayin'.....Might be something to look into....A rebuild kit is pretty cheap compared to Dr. Bills from all that Flippin"!!!!
yeah, my doc would freak if i told him my arm is junk from trying to start a toy airplane....

thanks for the tip 2biz. il'l check into it and let you know. i'm off to maine to the imac contest this weekend and may mess with it there in between rounds. gotta have something to do, right? i'm bringing the extra as a backup in the event of some kind of failure with the yakster. we're staying overnight and so i'll have time to monkey with it. thanks again bud. i'll post results here.

Signed: "sickofflippen"
bobrev06x is offline Find More Posts by bobrev06x

Quick Reply